The Official "What are you watching?" thread

On 2/17/2018 at 2:15 PM, -GD- said:

So I saw black panther. 

First off, I don’t usually care for marvel movies. So, I was relieved that the film met the “realistic” hype.  Best movie ever? no  Best superhero movie? No. But did I like it? Absolutely! I’ll get right to the point: it’s a by-the-books superhero flick, but with a bit more depth and social relevance. It’s, visually, stunning - despite a few cartoony effects. But the percussion-driven film score is what really immersed me. All the players nailed their roles, as well. 

My score - B

Take that grade and now grade Black Panther against past Black super hero films. 

1993 - Meteor Man 

1994 - Blankman

1997 - Steel 

1997 - Spawn

1998 - Blade

2001 - Pootie Tang

2006 - Hancock

Edited by The Mother Fucker
  • Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So here’s my quick review of hereditary:   1. It’s nowhere near being the scariest movie ever. It’s more of an unsettling thriller.    2. It’s surprisingly unpredictable. The trail

my mini review of mother:   I finally saw the movie Mother. I think it’s a better work of art, and conversation piece, than it is a film. The symbolism and metaphors are fantastic, and it wa

this looks nuts

Posted Images

9 hours ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Take that grade and now grade Black Panther against past Black super hero films. 

1993 - Meteor Man 

1994 - Blankman

1997 - Steel 

1997 - Spawn

1998 - Blade

2001 - Pootie Tang

2006 - Hancock

Why does it have to be a black superhero film? Why can’t it just be rated as a superhero film?

7 minutes ago, -GD- said:

Why does it have to be a black superhero film? Why can’t it just be rated as a superhero film?

The whole reason for the hype of Black Panther is that it is the most budgeted and large black cast superhero film to be released. 

To diminish that would be to overlook half of the quality of the movie.  

Let me put it in video game terms. 

Edit: 

It would be  like asking why does it have to be a PlayStation 5? Why can't it just be highlighted as a video game system?

Edited by The Mother Fucker

I think it is important because there needs to be a real push to improve content create by predominantly black artists for TV and Film.

There is too much shitty programming on channels like BET, and it that can't possibly be because its not like there's ALOT of programming devoted to black people and black culture in the first place.

I swear, about 80% of BET seems be based on the format established by Soul Food. Remember that movie Soul Food back in the 90's.  Just about the vast majority of black programming hasn't deviated far from that. Tyler Perry has got his own brand, and then things seem to fall off from there.

So having a successful movie, that had serious money poured into it is hopefully a good sign that they can put money into other things that creatively go into other genres. Like maybe sci-fi or fantasy. Or historical drama.

1 hour ago, -GD- said:

I get the groundbreaking aspect. I just get annoyed by people who say the movie is scoring well because it’s a “good black superhero movie”...instead of “good superhero movie (in general)”..

no one saying that.   The fact that black superhero movies in general have not done so well.   Even provided you a list of them. 

People are excited that this is the first black superhero movie that is being well received at the  box office.  

29 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

no one saying that.   The fact that black superhero movies in general have not done so well.   Even provided you a list of them. 

People are excited that this is the first black superhero movie that is being well received at the  box office.  

Oh man...I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve heard the film wouldn’t have scored well, if it wasn’t for the hype. Lots of racist folks out there. 

On 20.02.2018 at 2:01 AM, The Mother Fucker said:

The first two Blade movies were hits. The first Blade pretty much started the superhero movie craze for good :)

But yeah, Black Panther looks awesome and unlike Blade, where you could replace the character with white dude, BP seems fully African in awesome way

Anyway, I'm on canadian noir tv binge. Finished two seasons of Cardinal, which was awesome and easily matches up to most nordic tv. Now I'm watching Tin Star. It's diffferent from what I expected, but in a good way. 

Finally saw blade runner 2049. It definitely surpassed the hype.  The story, sound production, and artistic design were stellar. I dare say it’s the most, visually,  impressive film I’ve seen (with fury road being #2). 

On 2/20/2018 at 12:50 AM, -GD- said:

I get the groundbreaking aspect. I just get annoyed by people who say the movie is scoring well because it’s a “good black superhero movie”...instead of “good superhero movie (in general)”..

Racism will never cease to exist because people had to make a big deal out of obama's skin color too.  :shrug: 

Just like they made a big deal out of hillary being a woman. People are dumb. 

Edited by kazie's saltyhermitdenial

Just watched Veronica (horror flick on Netflix). It owned hard! It’s by the writer/director of rec 1 and 2. It’s a great entry, with some visually cool ideas, in the evil spirit subgenre.