Sign in to follow this  
lynux3

Would you want a PSone or PayStation 2 classic edition?

10 hours ago, jehurey said:

An NES and SNES classic is OVER HALF THE COST of a Switch.........and its ALMOST the entire cost of a $199 3DS XL, which actually PLAYS NES and SNES games.

:hest::hest: You don't really know what to do, at this point, do you? :hest::hest:

And both the NES and SNES classic have......... the exact same hardware in them.  Nintendo could have released.. the Nintendo 8/16-bit Classic machine that does both..... for one price.:rofl:

10 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah, let's just put in a drive that is going to be the majority of the system cost.

Genius. 

:rofl:

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Fuck no... they should be making a PS1 emulator that does this right on the god damn PS4.  It's completely TERRIBLE how you think they should release a new product for this specific reason... when the technology ALREADY exists to give this to people for... nothing.

Or there are plenty of people who aren't interested in buying a PS4. And just want a nice slim product that will last for a long time.

Its a moot point, because the biggest library is the PS2 library, so you can't even try emulating that through software, its going to require physical hardware, and those processors can already do PS1 emulative natively.

And save on storage costs, because you will need a hard drive when trying to run it in software emulation.

And, once again, a selling point for this device would be Sony telling consumers "YOUR OLD discs will work on this".

Just now, jehurey said:

Or there are plenty of people who aren't interested in buying a PS4. And just want a nice slim product that will last for a long time.

Its a moot point, because the biggest library is the PS2 library, so you can't even try emulating that through software, its going to require physical hardware, and those processors can already do PS1 emulative natively.

And save on storage costs, because you will need a hard drive when trying to run it in software emulation.

And, once again, a selling point for this device would be Sony telling consumers "YOUR OLD discs will work on this".

Maybe this would get those people interested in buying a PS4.....  And PS4's cost $199 right now... It's not exactly much more than what you are saying they could sell this classic system for.  Sony could make the entire PS1 library BC, and work on emulating all the high quality games that people want from the PS2.  They COULD do it, even without the hardware.

Nope fuck that shit. There are too many great niche games that define the consoles. Plus tons of games like SOTC, MGS, Silent Hill, GOW, Jak, Ratchet etc got amazing remasters.

3 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Maybe this would get those people interested in buying a PS4.....  And PS4's cost $199 right now... It's not exactly much more than what you are saying they could sell this classic system for.  Sony could make the entire PS1 library BC, and work on emulating all the high quality games that people want from the PS2.  They COULD do it, even without the hardware.

They still sell PS One classics on PSN. From what I can tell those are meant to work with the PS3 hardware.

So, that's possibly with a software emulator. But, we are talking about a software library that isn't really that hot. That is some shitty ass looking 3D games. No amount of AA and upscaling is going to fix those warped-ass 3D models simply because of how the PS1 generated 3D environments. Maybe the 2D games transfer well.

The PS2 games look like MAYBE you could clean those up and have them be decent looking.

41 minutes ago, jehurey said:

They still sell PS One classics on PSN. From what I can tell those are meant to work with the PS3 hardware.

So, that's possibly with a software emulator. But, we are talking about a software library that isn't really that hot. That is some shitty ass looking 3D games. No amount of AA and upscaling is going to fix those warped-ass 3D models simply because of how the PS1 generated 3D environments. Maybe the 2D games transfer well.

The PS2 games look like MAYBE you could clean those up and have them be decent looking.

It is with a software emulator.  Every PS3 can play PS1 discs.  And I HAVE to disagree about the library not being hot... man, I must come from a different world, because PS1 has a killer library.  So many classics.

And it's really not about the graphics man.  People know that.  It's just that being that every single Playstation console before the PS4 can play PS1 discs in the system, it's a stupid thing for them to remove.  You guys talk about the gfx, and maybe it's true for a lot of people, but for me and many others it's not about that.  It's about being able to throw in any FF game, FFT, Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross.  The classic RE games, Soul Reaver, Blood Omen, Xenogears.. Suikoden 1 and 2, at any time.  Man, some of the best RPGs ever made are exclusive to that system.  Lots of games like I like to revisit every once in a while are on that system.  I'm a bit biased towards it though as the 32bit era is my favorite generation of games.

I don't give a shit about the graphics.  Graphics will never stop me from playing great games.  I'm just basically of the opinion that, it's something that's always been there and should remain there.  There's no technical reason not to.  But who am I kidding.  I'd buy a classic machine if they released it.  I'm too much of a fan of those consoles to not do so lol

I used to ADORE Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on the PS1. I thought it was the classiest game on there.

Went back and saw footage of a race on youtube. I literally laughed in surprise at how it looked like. The CD audio made the game feel more real back at the time. And interlaced televisions helped a bit, as well.