Sign in to follow this  
-GD-

The Official Fitness Thread

2 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Weight loss is easy. The way we eat it is all wrong! Eat big breakfast and lunch, have a tiny dinner. You do not need to eat before going to bed. It's a cultural thing as to why we eat large dinners, nothing more. There is no need for it. I usually just have a salad and some yogurt as my dinner. I've lost 30lbs this year without changing my workout routine.

It is cultural.  I don't think it matters when you get your calories as long as you're only getting x-amount of calories in the day, which should be less than your TDEE.  I skip breakfast half the time and instead drink 2 cups of coffee until lunch, then I have equal portions of those pre-made meals for lunch and dinner. 

7 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

It is cultural.  I don't think it matters when you get your calories as long as you're only getting x-amount of calories in the day, which should be less than your TDEE.  I skip breakfast half the time and instead drink 2 cups of coffee until lunch, then I have equal portions of those pre-made meals for lunch and dinner. 

Well when you are active during the day you need those calories so it's best to get them in you early. When you're netflix binging you definitely don't need a large meal 

your body recognizes 3 things, protein, fat and carbs. thats it. no such thing as a diet. just eat the amount of calories that you need to obtain your goal. some carbs are better htan others, sure, but it's still carbs.  i try to limit all bread and soda and the lbs shed like no other when i am cutting.  but i could do that eating mcdonalds every meal if i wanted to, i would just have to chose the right items

4 minutes ago, ghostz said:

your body recognizes 3 things, protein, fat and carbs. thats it. no such thing as a diet. just eat the amount of calories that you need to obtain your goal. some carbs are better htan others, sure, but it's still carbs.  i try to limit all bread and soda and the lbs shed like no other when i am cutting.  but i could do that eating mcdonalds every meal if i wanted to, i would just have to chose the right items

ha i have a friend who only eats burgers, fried chicken sandwiches, and egg sandwiches when he cuts. homeboy drops crazy fat.  i'm sure his cholesterol isn't the best though lol.

my stance on diet is this:

daily overall intake > "perfect one-size-fits-all" meals that don't meet my daily goals. 

though, i want the best of both worlds. i personally feel better eating 5 to 6 times a day, with a good balance of macros. i also feel better when i have a recovery drink after i train. 

as for fat/carb ratios, i let my body tell me what i need.  if i'm doing a low rep powerlifting regimen (which requires less glucose), and then i'm just sitting on my ass most of the day, i find i don't need a lot of carbs. fats/protein seem to work better for me.

now, if i'm spending an hour a day, doing intense hypertrophy training (higher reps and TUT), and i'm relatively active, you better believe i'm ingesting more carbs. i'll feel lightheaded and weak if i don't. 

the trick is - never feel like you are too full or like you are starving.  the mind  and body have to feel just right. now, if this isn't netting the goals you want, then add/subtract 500 calories from your daily diet.

just my 3 cents. 

1 hour ago, Cookester15 said:

Weight loss is easy. The way we eat it is all wrong! Eat big breakfast and lunch, have a tiny dinner. You do not need to eat before going to bed. It's a cultural thing as to why we eat large dinners, nothing more. There is no need for it. I usually just have a salad and some yogurt as my dinner. I've lost 30lbs this year without changing my workout routine.

i have friends who do intermittent fasting, and they eat huge dinners, and have gotten great results. however, it's not for everyone. i personally feel awful doing this and have problems sleeping with a full stomach.  i have tried IF with lunch, and then felt too weak the next morning for my lifts. it's like the whole keto trend. it's great for some people, but not everyone. i'm like you. i prefer larger meals early in the day.  dinner is usually just some lean protein. it goes to show that cookie cutter diets aren't reliable. 

3 minutes ago, -GD- said:

i have friends who do intermittent fasting, and they eat huge dinners, and have gotten great results. however, it's not for everyone. i personally feel awful doing this and have problems sleeping with a full stomach.  i have tried IF with lunch, and then felt too weak the next morning for my lifts. it's like the whole keto trend. it's great for some people, but not everyone. i'm like you. i prefer larger meals early in the day.  dinner is usually just some lean protein. it goes to show that cookie cutter diets aren't reliable. 

My wife tries to do this and she always plateaus.  Not only that, but she comes home hangry all the damn time.

1 hour ago, Cookester15 said:

yea but eating breakfast is really hard for some people. I'm not hungry after waking up. But you are right. I always try it but then stop after a few days.

The only thing that I enjoyed was british breakfast but I stood for like an hour in the kitchen to prepare my meal. I need to learn to prepare meals beforehand I guess. Yoghurt is nice. :happysad:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

My wife tries to do this and she always plateaus.  Not only that, but she comes home hangry all the damn time.

haha yeah, that's why it's better to just do something that works for you. trial and error is the best tool. 

8 minutes ago, .ic said:

yea but eating breakfast is really hard for some people. I'm not hungry after waking up. But you are right. I always try it but then stop after a few days.

The only thing that I enjoyed was british breakfast but I stood for like an hour in the kitchen to prepare my meal. I need to learn to prepare meals beforehand I guess. Yoghurt is nice. :happysad:

yeah i used to never eat breakfast. now i usually have like oatmeal or vector (ill have eggs and shit on weekends when i wake up a bit later/have more time), but it's still tough to get a good breakfast. 

i should really switch to doing a simple omellette with spinach/cheese though.

Edited by Casual

My diet is essentially:

Breakfast - Vector or Oatmeal with Fruits (strawberries/blackberries/banana).

Lunch - Turkey Sandwich, Greek Yogurt with Granola and Berries.

Snack - Banana

Dinner - Chicken (breast or thighs) with a small side of pasta and brocolli

Post Workout - Protein Shake (50g of protein powder, cup of almond milk, bananas, handful of frozen berries).

That's probably 5 days a week. I'll switch up breakfast and lunch on weekends, usually a bigger breakfast (bacon and eggs) and then just a yogurt or something for lunch. Sometimes I'll make pasta for dinner instead of chicken.

Should probably do a better job planning and I'm sure my macros aren't perfect but honestly I find it exhausting to count and it all goes to shit the second someone decides they wanna go out for wings. So I try to eat stuff that seems good and hope it works out okay.

Edited by Casual

Just now, Casual said:

My diet is essentially:

Snack - Banana

Post Workout - Protein Shake

That's probably 5 days a week. I'll switch up breakfast and lunch on weekends, usually a bigger breakfast (bacon and eggs) and then just a yogurt or something for lunch. Sometimes I'll make pasta for dinner instead of chicken.

Should probably do a better job planning and I'm sure my macros aren't perfect but honestly I find it exhausting to count and it all goes to shit the second someone decides they wanna go out for wings. So I try to eat stuff that seems good and hope it works out okay.

well i got a few friends who have been to prison. they ate like shit and just did whatever weights were available, and a lot of calisthenics. one  came out super shredded and the other got big as fuck (muscle-wise). so daily caloric intake > macros. 

Just now, -GD- said:

well i got a few friends who have been to prison. they ate like shit and just did whatever weights were available, and a lot of calisthenics. one  came out super shredded and the other got big as fuck (muscle-wise). so daily caloric intake > macros. 

damn. 

i should just go to prison tbh.

11 minutes ago, Casual said:

damn. 

i should just go to prison tbh.

lmfao! i think everyone says that when they see a friend come out looking diesel. though, it's not always the case. there's one dude who came out fat as fuck. but he didn't exercise. actually, a lot of inmates don't really train hard. it's kind of myth. many just want to keep their strength and/or are bored. i'd say maybe 25% really put in serious effort (based on what my friends have told me).  some dudes are just naturally big in height/strength. others are in a gang, or are someone's bottom bitch (so they have muscle protecting them). then you got the few who want to change themselves mentally and physically, and/or need to be bigger to keep from getting an ass beating/rape. it's crazy how creative some of these inmates are with their training. some dudes do pushups or squats, with a motherfucker on them (for added resistance). i shit you not lol. 

2 hours ago, Casual said:

My diet is essentially:

Snack - Banana

Post Workout - Protein Shake (50g of protein powder, cup of almond milk, bananas, handful of frozen berries).

doesn't seem like a lot of food at all.

damn. I'm taking this thread seriously. I'm not supposed to do that!  Someone respond to my post-post about funyons!

4 minutes ago, kokujin said:

doesn't seem like a lot of food at all.

damn. I'm taking this thread seriously. I'm not supposed to do that!  Someone respond to my post-post about funyons!

I think when I did a rough calorie estimate it was like 2200 or so. 

1 minute ago, Casual said:

I think when I did a rough calorie estimate it was like 2200 or so. 

don't see how. looks like you having 800 calorie lunchs n shit 

I think unpredictability has been the worst thing for me

I don’t always eat bad but I think going from 1800 calories one day to 2500 calories the next cant be good

The most effective time I’ve losy weight was the most boring and repetitive meals every day

2 minutes ago, kokujin said:

don't see how. looks like you having 800 calorie lunchs n shit 

Well....

Vector + Milk = ~300

2x Bananas (one for snack, one shake) = 180

Protein + Milk = 250

Yogurt (~1.5 cups) + Berries + granola = ~200

Chicken breast = 400 (based on 250 grams)

Pasta = ~200 (based on 1 cup)

Broccoli = 50 (like 2 cups)

Turkey sandwich = I unno...4-500? Usually have it on a kaiser with two slices of cheese so yea.

2100 total.