The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

also I payed like 50€ to get the emerald abyss terrain in doto. I know you plebs will never understand. it has critter effects where mushroom people cook small lizards or worship a drill at night. It's an underground theme map. so good. 

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it.   

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

2 hours ago, saltyhermitdenial said:

you should play at least far cry 1. I explain how you enable god mode so you can rush through in 2 hours. It's a funny game. :mjgrin:

Ha I should. FC 1 was a gorgeous tech demo attached to a shit game. The AI was too unforgiving (nikkaz would spot me, while in stealth, from over a 100 feet away). 

just finished GoW (review + spoilers)

The ending was really well done, and surprising. I didn't think the fight against baldur and Freya was the end. During the entire time in jotunheim i was expecting shit to hit the fan, but then scattering the ashes and watching the credits roll while you still have a control was a very cool touch.

The game in general had a lot of good, scripted moments. You have to turn off your brain for a lot of them but as entertainment goes it definitely delivers. The DBZ style fights against baldur were silly but fun to watch.

Also, the introduction of the blades of chaos was well done and completely unexpected. I was starting to think the axe was going to be the only weapon, which would not have been great. But even then, the combat is a bit simplistic compared to the previous games. It less about stringing together combos and more about just spamming the same few skills and light/heavy attacks. The mini bosses and boss fights in general were also disappointing, mainly because most of them were just the same re-skinned trolls and ogres. The few puzzles break up the pace, but they're hardly going to challenge your problem solving skills. The open world approach was interesting at first, but the side content did not seem interesting so I skipped most of it. I think thats one feature the game really did not need, then again every studio seems to be going that route. It also encourages you at the end to go back and finish the optional stuff but i don't find the rewards that compelling so i think im gonna pass.

Also, i found it really annoying how theres no recommended level for some of the quests. I found myself trying to complete some with high level enemies that would kill me in 1-2 hits, which seemed completely unfair.

As for the story, it was entertaining, and the characters likeable. The relationship beween kratos and atreus was well done, but i don't think it reached the highs of Ellie + Joel.

The brothers were funny, them reuniting was actually a pretty touching moment too.

The tolkien inspired content was my least favorite, like the elves realm and those enemies. That felt out of place in a game that should be about ancient greek mythology.

Overall i didn't have that many expectations but I came away somewhat impressed. If I were to rate it i'd give it a 8.5.

side note: I don't prioritize graphics so i didn't mention them, but i didn't find them to be as impressive as UC4's. Maybe im in the minority with that one.

Edited by Twinblade

Really enjoying Alien Isolation :mjgrin:

The sound effects are also terrific. 

Shitting my pants when I think I may have quietly snuck past the alien and then suddenly hear his running footsteps behind me:TCHBR::finkle:

4 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Really enjoying Alien Isolation :mjgrin:

The sound effects are also terrific. 

Shitting my pants when I think I may have quietly snuck past the alien and then suddenly hear his running footsteps behind me:TCHBR::finkle:

A great, underrated horror game. Wait until you get closer to the end, there are parts that will stress you the fuck out with their tension.

Edited by Twinblade
24 minutes ago, -GD- said:

I need to get alien isolation 

It requires a lot of patience and does have its fair share of trial and error. Hell, I remember almost quitting the game during one of the earlier alien encounters when I played it, but if you stick with it it'll reward you with some of the best horror atmosphere and tension in gaming.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Like 1

I took my time with the game because the atmosphere is something else. I can play outlast easy but alien isolation made me feel uneasy.

• Like 1

I love picking up a console near the last 1/4 of it's life. So many great games to play and still stuff to look forward to that will probably be the best stuff on the console since they've know how to fully utilize the hardware. God of War is a perfect example of a 1st party studio at the top of their game in the generation.

• Like 2

Also, regarding GoW one feature i thought was pretty cool was how characters will stop talking when they reach land (after being on water) but will then pick up where they left off with the conversations after getting back on the boat. That is actually a neat little thing that im hoping more games implement, instead of just cutting out the dialogue when interruptions in the scripting/gameplay occur.

Edited by Twinblade

Finally beat God of War yesterday. Great game, pretty rare i actually complete a SP game of that length these days. 

I kinda stopped doing the side stuff halfway through. Not sure if I’ll finish it up or not, is any of it particularly standout? Debating just trading in while the value is high. 

2 hours ago, Casual said:

Finally beat God of War yesterday. Great game, pretty rare i actually complete a SP game of that length these days. 

I kinda stopped doing the side stuff halfway through. Not sure if I’ll finish it up or not, is any of it particularly standout? Debating just trading in while the value is high. 

If you enjoy some souls-esque style boss fights then the Valkyrie fights offer that, however they will require some grinding to gear up if you wish to beat them all. Most of the side content is more advanced combat scenarios, if that doesn't interest you then just trade it in. 

12 hours ago, madmaltese said:

If you enjoy some souls-esque style boss fights then the Valkyrie fights offer that, however they will require some grinding to gear up if you wish to beat them all. Most of the side content is more advanced combat scenarios, if that doesn't interest you then just trade it in. 

Hmm. Yeah, probably a pass then. I enjoyed the combat for what it was but don't think I'd go seeking more out. 

Plus, got my Souls fix coming next week. Think I'll trade it in and grab Tropical Freeze since I never played the Wii U version. That should last me till DS. 

• Like 1

Up to World 3 in Tropical Freeze. Game is much better than I expected...I thought Returns was just okay. The levels in this are incredible, I loved the Sawmill one in particular. The great part is they all feel completely unique, having a "gimmick" that in most cases is very well executed. 

From a platforming/design standpoint, it might be the best 2d platformer I've played. 

With all that said...it's still lacking a certain atmosphere that the original trilogy (specifically 2) achieved. It just feels too...happy? The enemies kinda suck, they remind me of some new age disney animals. If Retro created a game with Kremlings as a base, it could be incredible. I think of what they did with Metroid Prime, where they captured the atmosphere of Super Metroid while bringing the game into 3d.

My only other complaint would be the sidekicks. It's kinda cool how there's three, but they're all pretty lame. I hate that you can't actually play as them. Dixie and Diddy basically just give you two extra hearts and make you jump kinda like Yoshi in SMW2. Cranky is kinda cool, but even then. I get that Dixie basically broke DKC2 from a balance perspective, but I feel like they could have done a better job here.

Also could be a bit more difficult. People told me this was hard. 

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah while controls are tolerable, but I would have preferred to play it on a controller.

i haven't had any issues with the controls. but yeah, physical > touch screen for platformers.