The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

Finally finished FFXV. I did a bunch of side quests during the first of the game's 'maps' but my entire playthrough came out at just about ~29 hours (was lvl 45). Its pretty short for a RPG overall.

But man that was one hell of a ride....ill be honest, the game is a mess especially towards the end as they reveal more of the plot. All thing things considered its probably one of the weakest FF stories in recent memory. The characters aren't that developed either (especially the Luna-Noctis arc which had potential but they did nothing with it).

But in terms of scale and spectacle, its pretty dope. The 2nd half of the game doesn't let up when  it comes to set pieces, though i found them entertaining and they're well paced. You can tell that they switched directors part way through development because that half is very different from the early parts, which focus more on the open world and exploration. I enjoyed the balance overall though. FF has always been both open world and linear and this strikes a good balance.

I can see why people have such mixed thoughts about the game though. They experimented with a lot of different things in terms of mechanics and design but some of them just felt too weird and janky (that dungeon near the end was silly, and too long for its own good). Theres also really not much meat on the bones in terms of RPG mechanics and character progression. i used the same handful of skills throughout the game and rarely even bothered with magic. It almost feels like FF-lite in a way, which would have been perfectly fine if they went with the Versus name and idea that it was a spin off. But making it a main entry opened the doors for people to be less forgiving. They clearly went for a style > substance approach which doesn't always work out.

So overall, was it worth the 10 year wait? Definitely not, its lavish and well produced but It does feel like they were twiddling their thumbs for a lot of that time. Is it still a blast to play? i think so, as long as you turn off your brain during the climatic moments. 

8/10

• Upvote 1

Focusing on Yakuza 6 now that im done with FFXV. The tech improvements are pretty nice. Lighting/character models got a significant upgrade. The city feels more immersive now that battles and building transitions are streamed in. its also cool to see cars roaming around now. I always thought it was weird how there were parked cars all over the place before but none that were being driven on the streets.

Combat feels better too. Movements and attacks feel weighter, seems like they upgraded the physics for that stuff.

Just now, -GD- said:

The whole tutorial section was awesome! They didn’t waste any time introducing some bad ass fights :whew: 

Yep.  I want to say something, but wont, not even in spoiler tags because I'm not sure where you're at exactly.  If you haven't seen it yet, you'll be there in a matter of minutes I'm sure.

The whole thing was absolutely crazy. :wow2: 

26 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yep.  I want to say something, but wont, not even in spoiler tags because I'm not sure where you're at exactly.  If you haven't seen it yet, you'll be there in a matter of minutes I'm sure.

The whole thing was absolutely crazy. :wow2: 

I know what you speak of and holy fucking shit. How. Just how?

Just now, madmaltese said:

I know what you speak of and holy fucking shit. How. Just how?

I'm quite shocked the entire thing is running on a base PS4.  If that sets the stage for the rest of the game... I just don't know what to say.  Fuck.

Just now, Remij_ said:

I'm quite shocked the entire thing is running on a base PS4.  If that sets the stage for the rest of the game... I just don't know what to say.  Fuck.

Yeah I don't know if this is just one of those games that blow your mind with the intro and then fall off, but if this is just the start of what is to come then like you said, just fuck.

Also the 'one shot' technique they are using is easy to gloss over when reading about it, but when playing it is truly a revolutionary change. The fluidity of this game cinematically is unlike anything before. Can't wait to play more later. 

Just now, JonB1 said:

You fuck boys better not make me buy a ps4 Tomo :scrooge:

If this holds anywhere near this level for the rest of the game it would honestly be worth buying a console just for this. 

Thankfully that console is a PS4 so youd have a million other epic exclusives to enjoy too :-*

2 minutes ago, JonB1 said:

You fuck boys better not make me buy a ps4 Tomo :scrooge:

I'll be completely honest with this game.  If it falls off, I'll say so.  The beginning and the first boss fight is just crazy.