The Official "What are you watching?" thread

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So here’s my quick review of hereditary:   1. It’s nowhere near being the scariest movie ever. It’s more of an unsettling thriller.    2. It’s surprisingly unpredictable. The trail

my mini review of mother:   I finally saw the movie Mother. I think it’s a better work of art, and conversation piece, than it is a film. The symbolism and metaphors are fantastic, and it wa

this looks nuts

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Finished the punisher. God damn :whew:

I'm still early on in it but I'm surprised by its reception.  Rotten Tomatoes would have us believe that its worse than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones by quite a margin.  Although I've not finished it, I don't think I'm buying that.

1 hour ago, Angelfish said:

I'm still early on in it but I'm surprised by its reception.  Rotten Tomatoes would have us believe that its worse than Luke Cage and Jessica Jones by quite a margin.  Although I've not finished it, I don't think I'm buying that.

Yeah its ridiculous. If I had a top 3 it would probably look like this:

1. Daredevil

2. The Punisher

3. Luke Cage

I found everything else (including JJ) to be so weak that they're not worth ranking.

12 hours ago, Balb said:

And what's the point you're trying to make? :interesting:

That jimbo is weird,  and the fact he's the only one waiting for tv shows to come on is another prime anecdote that highlights his peculiarity.

Point #2.

Edited by kokujin
3 hours ago, Angelfish said:

It’s because of the gun violence. 

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah its ridiculous. If I had a top 3 it would probably look like this:

1. Daredevil

2. The Punisher

3. Luke Cage

I found everything else (including JJ) to be so weak that they're not worth ranking.

From memory, Jessica Jones had quite a bit of padding and sub-plots that perhaps didn't always work in its favour.  I liked it although mostly because of Kilgrave who is IMO one of the strongest villains in the MCU to date (which is not saying a whole lot, I know).  Luke Cage changed direction quite a bit in the second half (which I didn't mind necessarily), I just preferred the more grounded first half.

1 hour ago, -GD- said:

It’s because of the gun violence. 

Yeah, social commentary seems to be a big part of film/TV reviews now it seems.

2 hours ago, Angelfish said:

From memory, Jessica Jones had quite a bit of padding and sub-plots that perhaps didn't always work in its favour.  I liked it although mostly because of Kilgrave who is IMO one of the strongest villains in the MCU to date (which is not saying a whole lot, I know).  Luke Cage changed direction quite a bit in the second half (which I didn't mind necessarily), I just preferred the more grounded first half.

I don't think gun violence is to blame. John Wick 2 was violent as fuck and its sitting at 90%

I think the way PTSD and the government agencies are portrayed might be rubbing some people the wrong way. That stuff was definitely not a problem for me though.

Edited by Twinblade
2 hours ago, Angelfish said:

Which is unfortunate, since the series is quite good! Now all kinds of media will be knocked for being “too violent”.

On a note, Season 2 of daredevil is still GOAT for me. But I do like seeing a more humane Frank Castle in Punisher. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I don't think gun violence is to blame. John Wick 2 was violent as fuck and its sitting at 90%

I think the way PTSD and the government agencies are portrayed might be rubbing some people the wrong way. That stuff was definitely not a problem for me though.

Wick 2 came out before the recent string of mass shootings, including the deadliest one in US history (Las Vegas). 

1 minute ago, kokujin said:

I started it. You're right and I'm expecting a slow burn. Trying not to get too hyped. I do like Frank though so I think I will enjoy the season. They did poor donny wrong  ((only on episode 1. Not a spoiler).

Yeah, there’s a bit of a slow burn. It lacks the punch the punisher had in daredevil. But i’m glad they really fleshed out castle. I also like the supporting characters a lot. 

39 minutes ago, -GD- said:

Yeah, there’s a bit of a slow burn. It lacks the punch the punisher had in daredevil. But i’m glad they really fleshed out castle. I also like the supporting characters a lot. 

There's a main black guy AND they made a homage comment about race in the first ep using another black actor and white conservative dumby. I don't know if you guys  (white friends/normies) think it unique,  or notice,  but I think it's actually a little attention towards black experience and black  audiences too. I've always looked and have noticed,  lately,  liberal Caucasians and writers are finally smart and comfortable enough to unique blackness that they address it for a black audience in subtle ways (in their shows ) and I believe that they believe the American black experience IS a little different than other experiences,  and it warms my heart to see them try, and cast fictional characters in that same light.

2 hours ago, -GD- said:

Wick 2 came out before the recent string of mass shootings, including the deadliest one in US history (Las Vegas). 

Eh but it came out after the pulse shooting, where only 9 less people died. I don't expect to see a trend where entertainment products with gun violence are going to suddenly start getting panned by critics.

Edited by Twinblade