Sign in to follow this  
McWickedSmawt85

Fable needs a reboot, not a sequel

Been playing Fable Anniversary (on PC of course, TLHBFR :cruise:).

Let me get this out of the way, this remaster of Fable is a 7/10 game at best.  The controls are generally shit, with floaty movement, and sometimes unresponsive button presses.  The menu system is complete and total ass.  Assigning items to button presses is also ass, because you have to go through menus and sub menus, and even then the game tries to assign items contextually, which is never the item you want to use.  It's also linear as fuck.

Despite all that, Fable has something just about every Western RPG has been missing for years now: charm.  This is a charming fucking game.  Maybe it's the artstyle that goes between gorgeous to ass-ugly depending what you're looking at, or maybe it's the simple but effective emote system.  I don't fucking know, but the world that's handed to you is interesting to explore.

The coolest part about this game is how you're rewarded for doing evil shit.  Every other game with a karma system gives you rewards equal to the good rewards for doing evil shit.  But if the rewards are equal, then you're just being evil for the sake of it.  Evil should be rewarded better because that's the incentive to being evil, and in Fable, it is.  If you need money, which is actually valuable in this game, then you can literally murder the inhabitants of a house, purchase that house now that it's up for sale, and then rent it out to generate passive income.  That's fucking brilliant.  By the end of the game, if you're doing it right, every goddamned NPC in the game will be paying you money.  Even the shops.  The only houses you can't own are the ones that children live in, because children can't be killed, so those houses always have owners.  Lucky for you, all the rich people houses don't have kids.

There's other shit, too.  Getting married, getting divorced, getting tired of your spouse and taking them into the woods to get killed by balverines.  There is some seriously fantastic core shit here to expand on.  I hope the next Fable takes what this one has done and expands on it.  Forget Fable II and III ever happened.  Just take this as the core, and build upon it.  Give me more of this with better controls and a better interface.

Also, magic is broke as shit.  Pump up Enflame and just wreck house for the entire game.

It very mediocre. Its like Perfect Dark. It needs to be nuked and started from scratch and it looks like thats what will happen.

Shit game, shit franchise, shit studio who made it and shit company who funded it. What did you expect?

Just now, Azazela said:

It very mediocre. Its like Perfect Dark. It needs to be nuked and started from scratch and it looks like thats what will happen.

I feel like that's what the sequels already did, because none of them felt like the first.  The second one just kinda felt like 0.5 Fable with a dog, and the third...ugh, i think i got it for free on XBL and gave it an hour before giving up.

But the first just captivates me, and I'm not entirely sure why.  

The best thing about Fable was the combat and magic. It wasn't brilliant but when you look back at what other rpgs were doing at the time you've got Morrowind, KOTOR and Jade Empire.

I liked some of those but I wanted something with Zelda-esque combat and an rpg element to it.

Fable felt like a game with light rpg elements

Morrowind felt like an rpg with light gameplay elements.

The closest a game has got is Kingdoms of Alamur. That had the gameplay nailed down, but the dungeons were boring and the story and main campaign were duds.

All they had to do with Fable was open the world up and expand on what they had but they fuckdd it up.

Edited by TLHBO

fable 2 was one of the best games on 360. It's vastly superior to the 1st, and the 3rd(3rd is just trash).

Not that PoC gamers will ever know. :D

Just now, TLHBO said:

All they had to do with Fable was open the world up and expand on what they had but they fuckdd it up.

This.  I don't even mind the linear, area-driven nature of the game.  They just need more of that.  A shitload more.  The actual content of the game is pretty bare-bones.  You have one city: Bowerstone.  Then you have Oakvale and Knothole Glade, which are both small towns.  Hook Cove (Coast?) if you count the expansion, but there's fuck all to do in that town.  They needed 1 more city, and 1 more town, and then about 20 more areas in between, with a lot more branching paths that swing back to the main roads.

As it is, the game is a journey to go straight south with the occasional dead-end branching path left or right, and then the game ends.

1 minute ago, Bodycount611 said:

fable 2 was one of the best games on 360. It's vastly superior to the 1st, and the 3rd(3rd is just trash).

Not that PoC gamers will ever know. :D

Did it get good after the first 5 or so hours?  'Cause I gave up after having a kid with some gypsy woman in the wagon trader town area.  

been probably 10 years since i played it. That's the thing about not gaming on PoC, you have games from this decade to play. :D

THHBFR!

10 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

I feel like that's what the sequels already did, because none of them felt like the first.  The second one just kinda felt like 0.5 Fable with a dog, and the third...ugh, i think i got it for free on XBL and gave it an hour before giving up.

But the first just captivates me, and I'm not entirely sure why.  

Fable 2 sucked so hard and it still has the award for worst ending in an RPG I have ever seen.

Holy goddamned fuck.

So i was selling off gifts 'cause I don't need that shit to get married.  I sold off some perfume, and I noticed that I could sell it for more than I bought it due to my Guile skill.  So I bought all of it, sold it, then bought it back, and sold it, and my money was just going up.  This was at the same goddamned vendor in Oakvale.

So I'm like...I can break this shit even more.  So I wait 3 days, buy a shitload more perfume after the restock, wait three more days, etc.  By the end of it I'm selling like 500 of these motherfuckers for like 35 grand per sale. :D

5 hours ago, Bodycount611 said:

been probably 10 years since i played it. That's the thing about not gaming on PoC, you have games from this decade to play. :D

THHBFR!

FoH, Fable 2 was putrid garbo.  Fable Anniversary on PC shits on every Fable on Xbox. 

17 minutes ago, JonB1 said:

Lmao , no surprise ...sheep playing old Xbox games :D

That's because there was a time when xbox was good.

Was. :cruise:

You don't even know the details.

Remember DOOM? people said it was DOOM 4 and it was known as DOOM 4 in development.

Shit ended up being a beast reboot.

14 minutes ago, Tequila_ said:

You don't even know the details.

Remember DOOM? people said it was DOOM 4 and it was known as DOOM 4 in development.

Shit ended up being a beast reboot.

I'd settle for it being half the quality reboot that DOOM was.

35 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

That's because there was a time when xbox was good.

Was. :cruise:

At least you finally admitted to what you're playing :D  not wiiu2 LOL

2 minutes ago, JonB1 said:

At least you finally admitted to what you're playing :D  not wiiu2 LOL

Been over this.  List on the left.  If you want, I can get @Sublyminal to post the picture again.