Sign in to follow this  
Vini

At what point can video games become immoral?

If the software/hardware/code got advanced enough that NPCs become conscious and self aware would you have a moral issue with playing a game like GTA?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. If the software/hardware/code got advanced enough that NPCs become conscious and self aware would you have a moral issue with playing a game like GTA? 

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, kokujin said:

They're still computer code. Not killing a living sentient being. So why would anyone?

Well it's a philosophical question, if the code is conscious, can feel pain and suffer, is it not sentient? 

I usually play the good guy in games that give you the option but I would give any fucks about killing a game character 

I try to kill as many NPCs as possible. I would rape and torture them too, if the feature was available. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, -GD- said:

I try to kill as many NPCs as possible. I would rape and torture them too, if the feature was available. 

I like your style, GD.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Vini said:

Well it's a philosophical question, if the code is conscious, can feel pain and suffer, is it not sentient? 

I had a real relevant response for you that got deleted. Obv the npc can develops a complex personality memory and bias. But start to feel? Well no it's not alive.  So what definition of sentient are we using. It's interesting as a philosophical question. I get that and it's fun.  

14 hours ago, lostfool said:

I have a hard time with killing NPCs now.  If they were sentient I would not play a game like GTA

Lmfao. Sadly I think this is a serious response. 

55 minutes ago, kokujin said:

I had a real relevant response for you that got deleted. Obv the npc can develops a complex personality memory and bias. But start to feel? Well no it's not alive.  So what definition of sentient are we using. It's interesting as a philosophical question. I get that and it's fun.  

Well what exactly makes us alive? Everything we are is comprised of subatomic particles that has come together in an entity that can feel pain, joy, love, suffer, think etc.. 

Who's to say computer code put together in a certain way can't create entities with the same exact characteristics? And what exactly would give us moral superiority over them? 

Edited by Vini

Just now, Rebel Rebel said:

I hate killing animals in Far Cry games but it's just a video game lol.

I hated killing horses in BF1. You get points for that shit. didn't give a shit, let enemy horses live :mjcry: 

6 hours ago, Vini said:

Well what exactly makes us alive? Everything we are is comprised of subatomic particles that has come together in an entity that can feel pain, joy, love, suffer, think etc.. 

Who's to say computer code put together in a certain way can't create entities with the same exact characteristics? And what exactly would give us moral superiority over them? 

Feelings. Observing feels. Language to uniquely describe those FEELINGS. Also flesh. The need to eat other alive beings to remain alive. Well???

4 hours ago, kokujin said:

Feelings. Observing feels. Language to uniquely describe those FEELINGS. Also flesh. The need to eat other alive beings to remain alive. Well???

You can in theory program all those things

Edited by Vini

3 hours ago, Vini said:

You can in theory program all those things

??? How do you program feelings? 

How does an npc in a video game have flesh or dine on flesh.

You can program a personality and it can demonstrate moods.  But feelings and fjesh? Unique thought on being alive?

NO

I think there are some moral limits, but whatever everything should be allowed for one simple reason. In my experience people arguing morality in general are usually the most hypocritical fucks, so screw morality.

Remember when they took out the feature to kill kids in Fallout 3, when you could do it in Fallout 1/2? WHY WHY.

57 minutes ago, kokujin said:

??? How do you program feelings? 

How does an npc in a video game have flesh or dine on flesh.

You can program a personality and it can demonstrate moods.  But feelings and fjesh? Unique thought on being alive?

NO

Again, we are a macro representation of micro processes, if it's possible in this universe, why can't it be coded on hardware.