Sign in to follow this  
madmaltese

The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Oh  i thought you were implying that ronaldo would no longer play for Portugal.

Oh nah, just that he no longer plays with those other players I mentioned. Although surely he isn't far off from international retirement either. Probably after the Euros

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

No.. it's definitely not always this exciting.  It's also not about easily relating to a country as opposed to a Club.  It's that 90% of the game nothing interesting happens usually.  It's also full of stupid shit like players that dive at every opportunity.  It's not a rough sport... so it's not as exciting.

Hockey is much faster and rougher and infinitely more exciting generally speaking.  Basketball is also.  (Both created by Canadians :smoke:

American Football is exciting, but there's a lot of down-time... while I personally love it, I can understand people from outside NA not caring for it much. (Created from Canadian rules of Rugby :smoke:)  

Baseball (LMAO created by an American) is the most boring shit on the face of the earth... :hest: 

You should watch more premier league games. The pace, intensity and aggressiveness is even more than the WC, technical quality not as good as Spanish or Italian leagues but excitement is arguably as good if not better. 

The diving comment is literally the most overused and eye roll hate on football. Football fans hate it too and it is usually very much centered around particular players (eg Neymar) which even other players hate. Again in the Premier League it is very very minimal. 

Hockey is awesome (my second fav sport after football) so no complaints there. Basketball is acceptable. American Football and especially baseball though could cure insomnia. 

12 minutes ago, Ike said:

It's the only way I can watch La Liga games here in the USA. It's on BeIN sports but my provider doesn't offer it.

That's a fair point. There's a $10/month standalone latin SlingTV pack that comes with an English version of BeIN Sports. I was gonna sign up for it, but I think I'm still pretty early into following European leagues to spend another $10/month. Premier League, Bundesliga, and Champions League for me this year.

28 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Oh nah, just that he no longer plays with those other players I mentioned. Although surely he isn't far off from international retirement either. Probably after the Euros

He already confirmed that he will be at the next WC.

26 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Missed that. Never low in confidence haha

Im sure he'll still be killing it at 37. We're no strangers to keeping older players around either, Ricardo Carvalho played for the national team until he was 38.

• Upvote 1