Sign in to follow this  
DynamiteCop!

This is why Microsoft axed Xbox One X VR support

3 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Yikes.

VR is a flop

I didn't expect it to be this bad, there's absolutely no money in this.

Just now, Jon2B said:

Yeah . It's just another gimmick .

I don't think it's a gimmick as it's a very valid way to play games and extremely engaging but man it's just not grasping people.

3 minutes ago, #MeToo said:

They seem to have axed it for the next Xbox as well.

Their numbers are also no doubt far more comprehensive as they operate Windows and can look at the direct data encompassing the whole platform. Did you notice they also took  a "Steam Machines" approach to MR/VR by teaming up with third party partners and not actually creating hardware themselves? They could see the volatility and didn't want their bottom line to be at risk by entering manufacturing themselves. 

Having 3 different pricey VR headsets with their set exclusives at this stage hurts a lot, all are in desperate need of new games.

And Sony's entry level solution is ghetto as can be AND costs as much as a brand new console.

On top of that their support is shit, what did Sony even show this E3 that can be counted on two hands? 

Seems like a common curse of every new console peripheral. New games support is nearly always shit, even from the one who makes the hardware in the first place.

Happened with Nintendo's Zapper, Robo R.O.B., Virtual Boy, SNES Super Scope, Power Glove, GC Bongo Controller, Kinect, Sega 32X, N64DD, PS VR Aim Controller... see where this is going?

Almost regret buying one, but the tech IS promising if you tried it and I believe they can make incredible gaming experiences in the future. The problem is they're handling it like shit right now and like an afterthought, and that's not acceptable with the price they ask for.

In the future they need to reduce the size of these things to bulky sunglasses at most, with minimal extra cables dangling from all available ports on your system and not exceed a $300 price point.

Related image

lmfao Moss, not even 5K 

Edited by bhytre

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Their numbers are also no doubt far more comprehensive as they operate Windows and can look at the direct data encompassing the whole platform. Did you notice they also took  a "Steam Machines" approach to MR/VR by teaming up with third party partners and not actually creating hardware themselves? They could see the volatility and didn't want their bottom line to be at risk by entering manufacturing themselves. 

And that's the probpem with Microsoft. That'd why they've xbox has always been shit. Microsoft focuses far too mucu on the safe bets 

VR might not be lighting the world on fire but at least cows have the option of playing it. Look at Poitras, he's having the time of his life with VR.

With Microsoft you'll never get stuff like this. Just your annual Halo and Forza rehashes.

31 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

And that's the probpem with Microsoft. That'd why they've xbox has always been shit. Microsoft focuses far too mucu on the safe bets 

VR might not be lighting the world on fire but at least cows have the option of playing it. Look at Poitras, he's having the time of his life with VR.

With Microsoft you'll never get stuff like this. Just your annual Halo and Forza rehashes.

There's making safe bets and then there's avoiding bad bets, this seems to be just a terrible venture. Sure experiences are more limited without it but I can't honestly say that VR is lighting the world on fire in terms of providing competent experiences. Look at Ramza, I mean honestly look at the stuff he's playing and going nuts over. It's a bunch of Surgeon Simulator level trash that is stuff on PC you'd buy for $2.50 during a Summer sale, try out for 15 minutes and then completely forget about. 

Hey I have no problem with him enjoying that stuff but can you honestly say that shit holds up if you remove the VR element? If you approached them in competition in the 2D space? Fuck no, mindless junk is junk regardless of the avenue of play and it's just a bunch of validation peddling nonsense to make it appear worthwhile. Why do you think this kind of stuff is 99% of the of the content available on VR? Because few to almost no one takes it seriously as a development and sustainable financial platform to invest in because as you can see above it's got no market traction to warrant it. 

I wondered why Bethesda was charging $59.99 for Skyrim VR and not making it just a $15-$20 expansion as would be logical. I wondered why it doesn't have a 2D regular version of the game with it at $60, but now I get it. That's the only way they could make a return on it or break even, the cost transfer to the customer is insane given what it is but I understand it. That's not good business. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

You can argue it from a market side, but in reality XBox will miss out of tons of games, unique experiences etc.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #MeToo said:

You can argue it from a market side, but in reality XBox will miss out of tons of games, unique experiences etc.

But the question is will the players? It doesn't appear so, it's factoring out to be a dead venture that's unsustainable and unviable for gamers. 

The content is shite bar a few things, that won't change because again it's unsustainable and no one can afford high level development for it which in the end makes it not worth it for gamers. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

Developers have been commenting on this:

Aldric Chang
Hi Kyle, as the developer for Sairento VR, I can tell you that this information is not that accurate :)

Michael Kantack
Aldric Chang they are not accurate as in you have more or less than shown here? I am working on a vr game and hard numbers sure do help.

Aldric Chang
Michael Kantack Quite a lot more, but I hope you understand why I won't tell you the exact numbers.

Kirk Johnston
Well there you go.

I heard another developer say this wasn't accurate at all either and was lower than in reality.. but I can't find it atm.

Anyway, half of Steam's VR users are Oculus Rift owners, who very likely buy most of the games that release on both from the Oculus store.  Moss is also available on the Oculus, and likely did better there than on Steam.  That's where I bought it from.

The list is bunk.  This thread is dead.

VR :bow: 

*Removes Remipee's VR goggles showing good sales*

Snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity oh! :kaz:

Those are pretty terrible sales except the top 10 maybe.

But combined with PSVR sales it's probably not so bleak. PC is a fraction of VR headsets.

3 hours ago, #MeToo said:

Lems dont care for games though. As long as they get Forza every year "its good enough".

And lol at people who think I'm somehow owned by this??? I'm not a Sheep, I don't play sales charts, I play games.

Can't wait for Beat Saber, Sairento VR, Space Pirate Trainer to finally come to PSVR (the savior of VR gaming). :juggle: