Sign in to follow this  
Cookester15

The state of comedy in a hyper sensitive society

15 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

"Alt-left" isn't a thing.  It's a projection from the Alt-Right.

Then neither is the alt right. 

10 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Except for the fact that there are identifiable leaders in the movement, notably Richard Spencer, who coined the term "Alt-Right".

39 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

So stupid. :kaz:

I know. I chuckled though. Here’s a good cow one :-*

7D91D514-E55B-4480-AA21-BF19BB685E28.jpeg

11 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah this is just not true at all. Even outside of stand up, the best comedies definitely punch 'downwards' also. 

Larry David and Curb being a huge example. That show has made jokes about everything imaginable, disabled ppl, midgets, Parkinsons disease, gay relationships, gender tropes, jews, caucasians, african americans, asians, old people, children, the Isreal/Palestine issue,  etc. You name it and it has a been the centre of a joke, ones done incredibly smart and funny but very much making fun of them too. 

I guess you are right and It's very hard to discuss these things in comedy because I think it all comes down to the subtle intent behind it, and its hard to measure. In fact, making fun of a group can be even equalizing in a way.

When Larry David jokes about those things, you hardly get a feeling that he is doing it because he spites people with parkinsons or that he wants to put them down. But comedy can also be mean-spirited and attempt to subjugate people. I think that comedy is hardly funny, though.

Like when Trump makes fun of a disabled reported, you can tell that he does that because he is a petty man

2 hours ago, Cookester15 said:

alt-right is certifiably a thing, I can point you to a dozen alt-right websites, podcasts and politicians (ie. POTUS)

10 hours ago, Cookester15 said:

yeah it is. Both alt right and left are ridiculous. The identity politics was started by the alt left and the result was the alt right and trump. Thanks a lot  Zwarrior. 

Sorry to break your safe-space bubble but conservatives have been crying about identity for centuries.

muh religion in politics

muh abortion

muh don't teach my kids sex ed

muh don't stick a dick in another's man bum

2 hours ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

Except for the fact that there are identifiable leaders in the movement, notably Richard Spencer, who coined the term "Alt-Right".

The left doesn't have a leader because they are communist :mjgrin:

17 minutes ago, Kitad said:

alt-right is certifiably a thing, I can point you to a dozen alt-right websites, podcasts and politicians (ie. POTUS)

Most of the Internet is left wing though lol. 

59 minutes ago, Kitad said:

Sorry to break your safe-space bubble but conservatives have been crying about identity for centuries.

muh religion in politics

muh abortion

muh don't teach my kids sex ed

muh don't stick a dick in another's man bum

muh if we came from mankeys why are there still mankeys

8 hours ago, Kitad said:

I guess you are right and It's very hard to discuss these things in comedy because I think it all comes down to the subtle intent behind it, and its hard to measure. In fact, making fun of a group can be even equalizing in a way.

When Larry David jokes about those things, you hardly get a feeling that he is doing it because he spites people with parkinsons or that he wants to put them down. But comedy can also be mean-spirited and attempt to subjugate people. I think that comedy is hardly funny, though.

Like when Trump makes fun of a disabled reported, you can tell that he does that because he is a petty man

Well Trump isn't a comedian so nothing he does or says should ever be judged through a comedic lens.

My problem is how there is now taboo subjects in comedy that even approaching from a different angle creates this flood of lefties against you. Recent examples being the Chapelle specials on Netflix with the trans jokes but since I used the Curb example prior also the lesbian relationship and the gender trope jokes that Larry made in that episode. Now Curb has mocked everything and made the Larry David character in the show as a very clear dumbass and socially inept, yet even when certain jokes are coming from that angle it still generates anger, solely based on the subject matter. Like you can't make a joke about any non hetro sexuality. The logic being that these people are mocked for real by certain people and as such shouldn't be the butt of any joke ever by anyone. That I will never agree with. Comedy is always funnier when the subject is a little more taboo. Chris Rock's newest special on netflix literally has a joke where he says he can't wait to see white mothers crying over their dead children and that got next to no uproar compared to a trans joke from chapelle. 

Why do you guys think that most (all) great comedians now and in the past have been liberal?

Just now, Kitad said:

Why do you guys think that most (all) great comedians now and in the past have been liberal?

I think most of the great comedians have been able to make fun of anything but right leaning views have been the centre of many jokes for decades with next to zero issues from anyone, even right wing leaning people.  Which makes it all the more laughable that when the absolute tiny fraction of comics that even attempt to joke about certain things get absolutely pilled on by the current left. These are comics that have been doing comedies for ages and only now people have issues with certain content. 

3 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I think most of the great comedians have been able to make fun of anything but right leaning views have been the centre of many jokes for decades with next to zero issues from anyone, even right wing leaning people.  Which makes it all the more laughable that when the absolute tiny fraction of comics that even attempt to joke about certain things get absolutely pilled on by the current left. These are comics that have been doing comedies for ages and only now people have issues with certain content. 

Sure, some left wing people are stupid. Also, I hate people from  both right and left who want to ban speakers from college campuses.

But also keep in mind that right wingers have been crying about lewd comedians for decades.

Edited by Kitad

1 minute ago, Kitad said:

Sure, some left wing people are stupid. Also, I hate people from  both right and left who want to ban speakers from college campuses.

But also keep in mind that right wingers have been crying about lewd comedians for decades.

Oh for sure but those ppl are forever morons.

My current gripe is with ppl who have never had an issue with certain comics or their content ever but now all of a sudden can't stand their acts because it is 'insert current year'. Chappelle and others have had the same style and content forever yet before he was the most loved comic and now hes apparently a bigot/homophobe, etc, because of his routines. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Kitad said:

Because conservative comedy by its nature is conservative.  It's not there to push boundaries, it's there to maintain the status quo.  I.E., it's "conservative".  That's why the whole "punching down" thing exists.  That doesn't speak truth to power, it's the reverse.

You can be funny while being conservative, but it's an uphill battle.