DURANGO Devkit Features a "Monster" 16 Core IBM Power PC CPU

devs had a hard enough time programming for cell and you think this 64 thread cpu is gonna look good?? lmao

This would explain why game's today look pretty lackluster on design. I bet developers aren't using 75% of 360/PS3 potential today with all that hardware potential the current consoles have.

Back in the day developers use to have do graphic tricks to extra work out of the Genesis and Super Nintendo. The 3D and FPS games that came out on those consoles in their final years were developers working their ass off.

Absolutely, fucking scorpion and sub zero only exist because of memory limitations http://systemwars.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Smileys/laugh.gif

But really, throwing more power at it is taking the place of clever design

devs had a hard enough time programming for cell and you think this 64 thread cpu is gonna look good?? lmao

Programming for multiple cores is no longer the issue it once was. Devs complain more about the split RAM pool.

And the Cores in the PPC A2 ( if that is what it winds up being ) are general Purpose cores and not like the SPE's of the Cell.

impressive, you can confirm the exact architecture of the cpu before it was even announced :wow:

It's a very likely Candidate based on the Info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_A2

A low power ( watts ) high core CPU suitable for a Console.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

16 core 64 thread cpu with 4 GPUS and 12g of ram

im a big fan of that style of cpu, i just dont know that it will be efficient from a software standpoint. sure it might be great on power and the chip may be extremely capable, but if nobody can use it it really doesn't matter. I also wouldn't be surprised if they have a custom chip very similar to the PPCA2... unless this will be the first hardware that is literally just a computer with a proprietary bit of software

whipit. :roff:

All of these specs are reasonable. There have been enough rumors, leaks and comments to have a basic idea of the 720. The PS4 is more of a mystery at this point.

Just rumours nothing actually concrete.

This is how it happens. There are real Durango Dev kits in the wild. It's not surprising there are leaks.

I can tell by your tone you're gonna be surprised to learn the 720 is an absolute BEAST :smoke:

Rumours aren't facts, in case you didn't know.

And when the specs are "confirmed" to your satisfaction and they echo what was said here, what will you say then? :glad:

All you seem to be bitching about is a post from yourself that you edited. Laughing because you say I believe the 720 will be a "supercomputer"

Well, I DO think it'll be an Absolute BEAST. No doubts there :smoke:

Edited by The Whipit Scrolls

All of these specs are reasonable. There have been enough rumors, leaks and comments to have a basic idea of the 720. The PS4 is more of a mystery at this point.

This is how it happens. There are real Durango Dev kits in the wild. It's not surprising there are leaks.

I can tell by your tone you're gonna be surprised to learn the 720 is an absolute BEAST :smoke:

And when the specs are "confirmed" to your satisfaction and they echo what was said here, what will you say then? :glad:

Then I will believe it, but since these are rumours there is nothing to believe.

All you seem to be bitching about is a post from yourself that you edited. Laughing because you say I believe the 720 will be a "supercomputer"

Well, I DO think it'll be an Absolute BEAST. No doubts there :smoke:

Editing doesn't mean anything but keep thinking that.

fact.

pc hardware only acuires real growth in technology when the console market moves up in tech.

IE why it feels good to be a pc gamer right now.

I think its good to be a pc gamer now, not because of the tech but because of the creativity going on with a bunch of independent developers.

the kickstarters alone have pulled me back B) and then there is sim city :datass:

If you're not intelligent enough to connect the dots, well, I can't say as that surprises me :juggle:

swing and a miss

You're obviously not. And just like phosphorous your obviously just butthurt at any notion of the 720 being a Beast :juggle:

Have you actually gone back and taken a look at your posts? Do you even know what you're bitching about anymore? :mickey:

If you're not intelligent enough to connect the dots, well, I can't say as that surprises me :juggle:

swing and a miss

You're obviously not. And just like phosphorous your obviously just butthurt at any notion of the 720 being a Beast :juggle:

Have you actually gone back and taken a look at your posts? Do you even know what you're bitching about anymore? :mickey:

I am pointing out that they are only rumours there is nothing concrete, nobody is bitching about anything here except you who is bitching at others for not believing the rumours.

swing and a miss

I am pointing out that they are only rumours there is nothing concrete, nobody is bitching about anything here except you who is bitching at others for not believing the rumours.

Just as I've already said. You'll be "surprised" when the Specs closely echo these reports. But I won't :juggle:

There are real physical Durango Devkits out in the wild today. You act like anything reported is pure fantasy rather than actual reports based on something very real.

Edited by The Whipit Scrolls

Because they aren't actual specs

until Sony and MS release those specs I will believe it

until then only rumours.

Pffff :Jeff:

Stop being so Naive.

We knew the 360 and PS3 specs to within 90% accuracy more than a year before Sony and Microsoft "Officially" released their specs.

Microsoft and Sony are leaky ships.

The most funny thing is, theoretical top GFLOPS are not that great between CELL and 16 threaded PowerPC7.

CELL 230.4 GFLOPS [@ less than 40W]

Power7 33.12 GFLOPS per core clocked at 4.18 GHz = 132.48 GFLOPS

Of course, they will modify PowerPC7 to serve as better gaming part [Charlie from S|E mentioned "PowerPC7+"], and 100% utilisation of SPE's is not easily achievable. In the end, its easier to work with 16 general built CPU threads, than with SPEs.

Jesus, Cell is still raping new technology.

Cell 2.0 in PS4 will shit on Durango :smoke:

Discrete sources at GDC also confirmed to the publication that developers expect Sony’s Playstation 4 to be more powerful than the next Xbox, and that various studios are aiming to unveil their next generation software at E3 2012 in June, regardless of whether “Microsoft and Sony are ready or not.”

Holy shit. Whipit HBR

:roff:

Here is the full link since Whipit decided to cut that part out.

http://sillegamer.co...core-processor/

:lul:

lmao :lul: what a fucking fanboy

The most funny thing is, theoretical top GFLOPS are not that great between CELL and 16 threaded PowerPC7.

CELL 230.4 GFLOPS [@ less than 40W]

Power7 33.12 GFLOPS per core clocked at 4.18 GHz = 132.48 GFLOPS

Of course, they will modify PowerPC7 to serve as better gaming part [Charlie from S|E mentioned "PowerPC7+"], and 100% utilisation of SPE's is not easily achievable. In the end, its easier to work with 16 general built CPU threads, than with SPEs.

Jesus, Cell is still raping new technology.

Cell 2.0 in PS4 will shit on Durango :smoke:

Thread =/= Core

And you REALLY haven't been paying attention if you think there will be a new Cell in the PS4 LOL :lul: