The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread

Started by Alphonse, September 25, 2023, 03:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Sabo on September 28, 2023, 07:02:02 PMME 1 would be rough. I'd probably skip it and go straight to ME 2. ME 3 is alright, the ending is whatever but I did enjoy the rest of the game. Not as good as ME 2 but ME 2 is amazing, easily one of the best games from that generation.
The Omega expansion made up for ME3's lackluster ending. 

Finished Sea of Stars at around 25-26h. Amazing game

Quote from: madmaltese on September 29, 2023, 01:07:25 AMFinished Sea of Stars at around 25-26h. Amazing game
It's definitely in my top 3 this year. 

Quote from: -GD-X on September 29, 2023, 03:23:03 AM
Quote from: madmaltese on September 29, 2023, 01:07:25 AMFinished Sea of Stars at around 25-26h. Amazing game
Might actually be my pick for GoTY so far. Only other games I've really enjoyed this year other than Sea of Stars would be RE4 and Wo Long. Wo Long is just more of the same TBH. I like it but I can't deny I didn't feel a little disappointed with it. As for RE4, while it is good I think its a little overrated and I still prefer the original.

Nothing else this year has really stood out to me besides those three games.

Years not over yet though and there are still a few games dropping that I'm looking forward to. November is looking pretty stacked. Star Ocean, Persona 5 Tactics, The Man Who Erased His Name, and The Last Faith are all releasing in November. The Last Faith in particular is one I've had my eye on for years so I'm excited for it, I hope it plays as well as it looks.

Anyways, been playing Fate: Samurai Remnant.

No joke, being completely serious when I say this- it's surprisingly pretty good. 

This game just snuck in under the radar and might be the Sleeper Hit of the year. Square Enix should be ashamed, this game is so much better than FF XVI it's not even funny.

Chipping away at the last act of Lies of P. It's been a mostly great ride, but with some really shitty parts lol. 

The mission I just did in Phantom Liberty was pretty freakin awesome....very different from the typical mission from the base game.

Gotham Knights comes to GP in a couple days. Not interested in that game at all but ill try it and see how it is.

Quote from: Sabo on September 29, 2023, 09:33:44 AM
Might actually be my pick for GoTY so far. Only other games I've really enjoyed this year other than Sea of Stars would be RE4 and Wo Long. Wo Long is just more of the same TBH. I like it but I can't deny I didn't feel a little disappointed with it. As for RE4, while it is good I think its a little overrated and I still prefer the original.

Years not over yet though and there are still a few games dropping that I'm looking forward to. November is looking pretty stacked. Star Ocean, Persona 5 Tactics, The Man Who Erased His Name, and The Last Faith are all releasing in November. The Last Faith in particular is one I've had my eye on for years so I'm excited for it, I hope it plays as well as it looks.

Have you played Blasphemous 2? that game might be up your alley.

September 30, 2023, 03:32:01 PM #24 Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:28:21 PM by Twinblade
Phantom Liberty design is definitely flawed. Like many other games nowadays, it puts up artificial barriers to keep you from just getting through the main story line. For example, there's numerous points where you have to complete side quests to be able to trigger the next story quest, or you have to wait a specific amount of time before they trigger. And its not just in-game time either, you can't just skip to a different time of day and expect that to be the trigger. I completed a pivotal quest in the main story and now I just have the game running in the background and am waiting for it to trigger the next one. Pretty annoying tbh. Makes me think the DLC is actually short enough that they felt like they had no choice but to pad it out with this type of design.

edit: I just finished it. Not gonna lie, even with the filler that was definitely a phenomenal expansion. The story missions on their own can be beaten in probably 7 or 8 hours at most, so for $30 it feels a bit overpriced IF you don't care for the new side content. But I think overall this is the best expansion CDPR has made and its up there with the best content from the base game.

September 30, 2023, 06:55:41 PM #25 Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 06:57:49 PM by Remij
Finished RE4: Separate Ways.  I loved it.  Yes, Ada's voice actress isn't the best, and some of the lines are just terrible with her delivery... but Ada :whew:

It compliments the base RE4R perfectly.. I'd forgotten how awesome RE4R was too.  Thinking about it more though  I'd love a prequel Remake style "survival horror" with younger Ada.  Show her as a bit more vulnerable and not as proficient of a killing machine as she is now.

Some pics:

We better get RE Code Veronica Remake next.. they're obviously setting up for it. :smoke:

Quote from: Twinblade on September 30, 2023, 02:46:07 PM
Quote from: Sabo on September 29, 2023, 09:33:44 AM

Have you played Blasphemous 2? that game might be up your alley.
No. I played and liked the first one but I really wasn't clamoring for a sequel. I'll probably try the game eventually but I'm in no hurry to do so.

Quote from: JonDnD on September 30, 2023, 03:15:11 AMGotham Knights comes to GP in a couple days. Not interested in that game at all but ill try it and see how it is.

Go in with 6/10 kind of expectations and it shouldn't disappoint. Not a bad game but it's unfortunately going to get compared to the Arkham games and Gotham Knights doesn't come close to those games.

Nothing until Spider-Man drops. Need a break. 

I've been playing El Paso, elsewhere all day. Its very intriguing, and for an indie game the voice acting is extremely impressive. However, I do think the story isn't as good as reviewers make it out to be. I like the Max Payne inspired monologues and presentation but at the same time it definitely feels a bit cliche and pretentious. Also, the gameplay is quite repetitive and is outstaying its welcome (I feel like this has been a trend for not just triple A but now indie games as well).

Good 7/10 quality game overall.