The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread

Started by Alphonse, September 25, 2023, 03:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Twinblade on November 23, 2023, 02:52:04 PMIt doesn't seem like you can actually fall off and die which relieves the pressure a bit and leaves room for experimentation.
Yeah you can't go off cliffs unless you're attached to rope 

Up to Chapter 3 in Armored Core VI. Really really enjoying it. Gameplay is as good as any mech game ever made, a wealth of customisatiion for builds and love just how fast you get in and out of missions. None longer than like 15min, some shorter than 5 min, plus arena battles than can be like 1 min long. It's practically all action all the time. Difficulty isn't as hard as Souls games but there are some spikes. Toughest boss so far by far the one at end of Chapter 1.
But yeah loving it so far. 

Mario Wonder got me in the mood for more 2d Mario so I've been diving into the Super Mario World romhack scene quite a bit. Man there's tons of good shit here. Right now I'm playing through New Super Mario World 1 The 12 Magic Orbs - this legit feels like it could have been a difficult DLC package for the original. Really digging it, great level design and difficult platforming (but not that Kaizo level stuff, just some pretty precise jumps). There's a direct sequel that's apparently even better too.

The side quests in Persona 5 Tactics are a blast. They are very puzzle-like, in that you have to eliminate or reach destinations that seem impossible. It's a great way to learn to utilize all of the toys at your disposal. 

Im about 7 hours into P5T and i really like it so far. I only did one side quest so ill have to look into those.

Finished Jusant. I got most of the collectibles and it still only took me 5 hours. Game was short but sweet. Definitely a bit of a gem and given its unique gameplay vibe + length it feels right at home on gamepass. I think anyone who subs to the service should check it out.

Back into BG3. I couldn't figure out why my characters weren't leveling up anymore then I realized that I had reached the level cap....at lvl 12 :ben: I still have quite a few quests left and admittedly I feel like I'm not going to have as much of an incentive to finish them.

Quote from: JonDnD on November 25, 2023, 02:03:23 AMJust beat the Bride. This game is fun :glad:
Ha I'm heading there now. I love it! The combat is fun AF. I may bring up the difficulty to hard, though. Normal still feels easy (still a blast). 

Finished up SMRPG today. Still a great game, been a while since I played it. Obviously a breezy game, super straight forward and no difficulty to speak of but the game keeps a great pace up and has tons of charm in its characters/enemies and areas. Battle system is even more fun to engage with in the new version and you can really gain a lot with the perfect attacks giving AoE damage. 

Quote from: -GD-X on November 25, 2023, 03:56:15 AMHa I'm heading there now. I love it! The combat is fun AF. I may bring up the difficulty to hard, though. Normal still feels easy (still a blast).
Some of the lengths of these cutscenes  :bickle:

Quote from: JonDnD on November 25, 2023, 11:35:16 PMSome of the lengths of these cutscenes  :bickle:
Ha! I couldn't agree more. The characters are great, but the story is eh. I just want to fight. 

November 26, 2023, 02:14:23 AM #297 Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 02:15:57 AM by Twinblade
I think im gonna just watch the rest of the main story for BG3 on youtube. I spent quite a few hours banging out a couple of quests today, hitting the 85 hour mark (96 hours steam playtime because of reloading saves to make different decisions or redo a battle), and then realized I still had over 15 quests in my quest log. By the time I finished them I would be in the 100+ hour range, and I just don't have the attention span to play any SP game for that long. Its one of the best games this year but also the most difficult to commit to especially with how much else there is to play. And yeah I don't have to do absolutely everything but I feel like it would be a disservice if I didn't. The me of 10 years ago would have felt ashamed of myself for not finishing this kind of game, but circumstances change as you get older and I'd rather play through several other of the games i've missed this year instead of putting everything into this one.

Anybody looking to play the game I highly recommend playing on easy. Don't let your pride get in the way. Its not because the game is terribly difficult or anything, but there's sooooo much combat (especially towards the end) and the combat encounters can go on for such a long time. And its not like the combat is the draw anyway, but you can probably shave at least a good 10-15 hours total off your playtime by just playing through on easy.

If I had played on easy Im confident I would have finished the game by now.

Finished the silent age, it was actually a mobile game which got ported to PC. Enjoyed it though, some moments were pretty cool. If someone is up for a light and super short p&c adventure. 

Got addicted to xcum 2 once again  :banderoos: :banderoos:

Quote from: -GD-X on November 26, 2023, 01:04:24 AMHa! I couldn't agree more. The characters are great, but the story is eh. I just want to fight.

I actually kind of like the sound of that. Sounds like there's a good balance between combat and storytelling/character development.

How long is the typical battle?