Lords of the Fallen reviews coming in - is a mess on consoles

Started by Twinblade, October 12, 2023, 01:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


What a pos all around. Shame because the game looked cool

Quote from: -GD-X on October 12, 2023, 01:26:22 PMI was afraid of this. Even high-end PCs were having performance problems. Hopefully, in time, they can get it ironed out. I will hold off and just try to plat Lies of P.
I haven't been following that Lies of Pee came at all. I thought your avatar was Prince.  :dreamy:

I think this game's release and its issues makes me appreciate Lies of P even more. You'd think by now most devs would be able to make really good Souls-likes given how frequently that template has been used, but you realize just how difficult it actually is to get everything right. Level design, pacing, combat, balance, proper use of underlying tech, etc. All of these need to work together in tandem with one another. If even one aspect falls short it can have a significant impact on the quality of the entire game.




All ue5 games especially on console run either like shit or at insanely low resolution. 

Ue4 had a ton of issues on pc. 

I'd say it's an unreal issue.

Quote from: JonDnD on October 14, 2023, 01:19:31 PMAll ue5 games especially on console run either like shit or at insanely low resolution.

Ue4 had a ton of issues on pc.

I'd say it's an unreal issue.

UE4's issues on PC came directly from the developers not pre-compiling shaders.  It's a stupid thing that unfortunately went overlooked for a long time until some of us really started bitching about it.. because the engine already provided a way to fix that issue.  Epic just did a really piss poor job at documentation, so a lot of devs didn't really know about it or how to do it.  Now with UE5.3 and onwards, they've made it mostly all automatic, and the documentation to do it manually is also far better.

UE5's performance on console comes down to the fact that Nanite and Lumen are just very taxing in general.  PC obviously fares better because you have a ton of brute force and quite frankly, just better RT acceleration happening.. but Epic are making massive improvements to render thread parallelization, so performance is going to get better soon.

Outside of that... I wouldn't use this game, or Immortals of Aveum, or any of the other first UE5 games to claim there's an inherent issue.  Unreal Engine 4's first games were hardly an indication of what would be possible with it later on..  These games are not a good metric to use, because quite frankly they don't have the budgets to do proper QA testing.. and these teams also likely don't have knowledgeable low level programmers who know how to optimize performance.  These games are made mostly by tech artists who know how to use blueprints.


These games are excellent examples to use as they are currently available for people to purchase at full price. And almost all of the current examples exhibit the same issues. So why wouldn't we use these games as an example.

As for ue4 , if devs didn't even know they could fix the problem that seems like an engine issue to me. If the ease of development isn't even there that sounds like a problem. Do you think they were just fine with shipping garbage running games over and over ? 

All we can do is compare. Other games look as good and run much better. If every ue5 game is struggling than that seems like an engine issue to me.

"Just wait" when talking about UE doesn't seem like a good idea looking back on the wait time for ue4.

People are spending their money now.

grain of salt, but supposedly a dev posted on 4chan and said that the game was built on UE4 and they were forced to upgrade it to UE5 the end of development. Which was a problem as the devs were not familiar with the engine.

Quote from: Twinblade on October 14, 2023, 02:50:28 PMgrain of salt, but supposedly a dev posted on 4chan and said that the game was built on UE4 and they were forced to upgrade it to UE5 the end of development. Which was a problem as the devs were not familiar with the engine.
It could have been an awesome game with UE4. Lies of P looks great and scales incredibly well. 


Quote from: JonDnD on October 14, 2023, 02:37:40 PMThese games are excellent examples to use as they are currently available for people to purchase at full price. And almost all of the current examples exhibit the same issues. So why wouldn't we use these games as an example.

As for ue4 , if devs didn't even know they could fix the problem that seems like an engine issue to me. If the ease of development isn't even there that sounds like a problem. Do you think they were just fine with shipping garbage running games over and over ?

All we can do is compare. Other games look as good and run much better. If every ue5 game is struggling than that seems like an engine issue to me.

"Just wait" when talking about UE doesn't seem like a good idea looking back on the wait time for ue4.

People are spending their money now.
No, they're the first games... made by no name developers which barely any budget.  They aren't a great example of what's possible with the engine.  They're just like any other unoptimized game on any other engine.

Nah, not an engine issue, because as I said, the engine actually has the ability to precompile shaders.. It's the poor docmentation.  That's not an engine issue, it's a developer/QA issue.

You said the same thing about Ray tracing when you first saw it too.  The games ran much worse, and you didn't see any difference.  Maybe that's the case to you... but there's very clear examples out there of RT vastly improving the quality of a games visuals, and also games which run at 60fps with RT on console...  You simply need to see examples coming from more technically proficient developers.

It's the same as it's always been. Right now, you have UE5 which allows for far more technically demanding lighting and geometry in games, and developers utilizing it without the knowledge of proper best practices :shrug:

I'm not saying UE5 doesn't have it's issues.. and I'd say it was definitely announced too early so they could capitalize off the hype of the new consoles at the time... but it will get there.  Blame the devs for shitty QA first and foremost.