Gym/Fitness thread

Started by Twinblade, December 02, 2023, 07:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The other one was archived so I figured a new one was warranted.

Im finally starting to dial in a routine that works for me and trying to be consistent with it.

Im giving up on weighted chest exercises because my right shoulder is still screwed and anything that involves my arms being extended straight in front with resistance applied is just too uncomfortable. I do plan on incorporating bodyweight push ups at some point as most variations don't feel too bad

But right now my split is

Shoulders & Back - Pull Ups, Chin Ups, Lat Pulldowns, Seated Rows, Overhead press on the smith machine, Face Pulls
Arms (Biceps, Triceps, Forearms) - E-Z Bar Curls, Tricep Pushdowns, Underhand Close grip Pulldowns, Skullcrushers, Hammer Curls, one handed Tricep overhead extensions, reverse curls, and then ending with a short farmers walk
Legs - Leg press, Squats, Leg Curls & Extensions, Calf Raises

I'd like to eventually add a 4th day, but just doing 3 for now as I want to be consistent and I think I would start losing motivation if I worked out much more than that.

I've also started experimenting with partial reps, just on my last set of tricep pushdowns for now. Once I max out and can't do any more full reps, I notice that even If I just bring the rope around halfway down a few times in a row I get a hell of a burn in my triceps.

Longer rest times are helping me too. Maybe its my genetics, but I get winded easily so I think the short rest times that I got into the habit of doing because of programs like P90X3 and Bodybeast just don't work for my purposes. Im resting at least 1 minute on upper body exercises and up to 2 minutes for lower body (though I might increase that for bar squats) and I feel like this is allowing me to lift heavier.

Also Im not doing any cutting/bulking bullshit. Neither option would be viable for my body type anyway. Im trying to eat a bit less so technically I might be cutting, but im more focused on getting enough protein and also going hard on my workouts. I like to think I can put my body through a recomp, and build a little muscle while losing some of my stubborn belly fat at the same time. Ill just keep at this for another few months and see what kind of progress I make.

My routine is stupidly simple.

I train every other day, either upper or lower. 2 to 3 working sets (close to failure for compound - minus should press). 1 set for everything else to failure (including shoulder press)

Sample:

Monday: lower - weighted lunges, dumbbell RDLs, calves raises; ab wheel

Wednesday upper - flat dumbbell press; bent over dumbbell rows; dumbbell shoulder press (neutral grip); concentration curls

Friday: goblet squat, hip thrusts, seated calve raises, static core hold

Sunday: incline dumbbell press; pull ups; dumbbell lateral raises; dumbbell tricep extensions

Repeat cycle of 4 workouts starting Tuesday

I rest 2 to 3 minutes between compound moves and 1 minute for isolation.

Quote from: -GD-X on December 02, 2023, 08:33:29 PMMy routine is stupidly simple.

I train every other day, either upper or lower. 2 to 3 working sets (close to failure for compound - minus should press). 1 set for everything else to failure (including shoulder press)

Sample:

Wednesday upper - flat dumbbell press; bent over dumbbell rows; dumbbell shoulder press (neutral grip); concentration curls

Sunday: incline dumbbell press; pull ups; dumbbell lateral raises; dumbbell tricep extensions

Would you consider leg presses a compound movement? Next to squats nothing tires me out as much as those

I need to incorporate more glute focused exercises into my legs workout. I know sumo/goblet squats and hip thrusts hot glutes pretty hard

Quote from: Twinblade on December 02, 2023, 09:37:22 PMWould you consider leg presses a compound movement? Next to squats nothing tires me out as much as those

I need to incorporate more glute focused exercises into my legs workout. I know sumo/goblet squats and hip thrusts hot glutes pretty hard

Yeah, leg press is a compound lift. 

I dont much of anything anymore. Ill do push ups, pull ups, like 2x a week and i jog/run around my neighborhood maybe 3x a week. Try to eat better than i used to.

December 02, 2023, 10:38:42 PM #5 Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:41:13 PM by Casual
Still doing full body splits. Two days on, one off. Compound lifts I usually do 3x8-12 with 2 warmups, everything else is 3x12-20 depending...

Workout A:
Squat
Bench + 1-2 sets on the machine chest press cause I can't really get close to maxing on bench otherwise.  My gains there were falling behind everywhere else, once I added this in it helped a ton.
Barbell Rows
Tricep Extensions
Leg Extensions
Peck Deck thingy
Calf Raises

Workout B:
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Widegrip Pull ups
Lat Raises SS Dumbell Curls
Reverse peck deck thingy
Hanging Leg Raises
Sometimes I finish this workout with a leg press depending on how my legs feel from the day prior

I train 5 days a week

My body is probably fundamentally broken at this point. I seem to tear or pull something about every other week. Probably need to stretch better

But I continue training. Nothing really bad but boy my back should be fun to have in 15 or so years. 

Quote from: -GD-X on December 02, 2023, 08:33:29 PMMy routine is stupidly simple.

Sample:

Are there any differences between barbell and dumbbell RDLs?

Quote from: Twinblade on December 03, 2023, 04:12:38 AMAre there any differences between barbell and dumbbell RDLs?
Stabilizer muscles bro

Dumbbells>> For everything as a general rule 

Quote from: Tears of the Cows on December 03, 2023, 04:23:31 AMStabilizer muscles bro

Dumbbells>> For everything as a general rule

Ultimately it depends on the person and whether they have any pre-existing injuries. Dumbbell shoulder presses for example just kill my right shoulder, even just lifting the dumbbells up to get into position is too strenuous for me.

A guy I worked with at my last job introduced me to overhead presses using the barbell on a smith machine and I haven't gone back to dumbbells since. Sure it might not be as efficient but I can lift a decent amount of weight with minimal pain and thats good enough for me.

That said I can probably do most lower body exercises with dumbbells and not have any issues.

Quote from: Twinblade on December 03, 2023, 05:46:55 AMUltimately it depends on the person and whether they have any pre-existing injuries. Dumbbell shoulder presses for example just kill my right shoulder, even just lifting the dumbbells up to get into position is too strenuous for me.

A guy I worked with at my last job introduced me to overhead presses using the barbell on a smith machine and I haven't gone back to dumbbells since. Sure it might not be as efficient but I can lift a decent amount of weight with minimal pain and thats good enough for me.

That said I can probably do most lower body exercises with dumbbells and not have any issues.

What if you go down in weight on overhead dumbbell press? Does any weight hurt it? Ie 10lb dumbells shouldn't ever be causing pain. But it's a bit odd you're not getting any with all with on the smith machine. 

If you can do low weight with the dumbbells I'd just stick with that and begin to rebuild it. You'll get stronger & the gym isn't a strength factory it's for improving health. Lift what you're comfortable with. Some (most?) days I get much better workouts using lighter weights. 

Quote from: Twinblade on December 03, 2023, 05:46:55 AMUltimately it depends on the person and whether they have any pre-existing injuries. Dumbbell shoulder presses for example just kill my right shoulder, even just lifting the dumbbells up to get into position is too strenuous for me.

The smith machine is fine. Just do one arm at a time, so you don't get imbalances. As for tempo, in general, always go with slow and controlled. I'm against explosive movements now, especially if you have a pre-existing condition. 

Quote from: Tears of the Cows on December 03, 2023, 06:48:28 AMWhat if you go down in weight on overhead dumbbell press? Does any weight hurt it? Ie 10lb dumbells shouldn't ever be causing pain. But it's a bit odd you're not getting any with all with on the smith machine.

If you can do low weight with the dumbbells I'd just stick with that and begin to rebuild it. You'll get stronger & the gym isn't a strength factory it's for improving health. Lift what you're comfortable with. Some (most?) days I get much better workouts using lighter weights.
This 100% 

So, I trained Friday, took a rest day yesterday, and I will be doing legs this morning. With warm up and a few ramp up sets, my workout won't exceed 35 minutes. Quality > quantity (for me). I just can't do high volume anymore.