Next Xbox to be developed by the Surface team. Jason Ronald's team is out.

Started by Remij, February 11, 2024, 07:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://twitter.com/oliver_drk/status/1756713202639843795?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1756713202639843795%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Lends credence to the rumor that MS may be doing a handheld device next. 

I think Jason got fucked over.  The Xbox hardware is a great piece of kit, but the software side really let them down.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.. but at this point, just make it a damn PC. :shrug:

The leak suggested the next XBox CPU is switching to arm so a handheld is 100 percent on the table. But I'm not sure how it's supposed to compete with steamdeck 2 or Switch 2. It's fairly doa.

Quote from: Playstation Tablet on February 11, 2024, 07:30:52 PMThe leak suggested the next XBox CPU is switching to arm so a handheld is 100 percent on the table. But I'm not sure how it's supposed to compete with steamdeck 2 or Switch 2. It's fairly doa.
Well, I could understand people with big digital libraries on Xbox liking an Xbox handheld which plays their games they've bought.  Essentially the same thing as Deck 2 or Switch 2 fanbases.

It would be wild to see all the major players pivot to handhelds after the success of the Switch, with only Sony releasing a traditional console.  That would be crazy.

Quote from: Remij on February 11, 2024, 07:40:41 PMWell, I could understand people with big digital libraries on Xbox liking an Xbox handheld which plays their games they've bought.  Essentially the same thing as Deck 2 or Switch 2 fanbases.

It would be wild to see all the major players pivot to handhelds after the success of the Switch, with only Sony releasing a traditional console.  That would be crazy.
I think MS is fine with XBox hardware being a niche they don't have big expectations and that fine.

Edit - A handheld is apparently if rumours are tue a Switch like handheld is also in the cards for Sony. But I personally don't see the appeal when I get a Switch 2

Quote from: Cooke on February 11, 2024, 08:38:30 PMLemmings don't want a handheld  :D
Tbh after MS goes full multiplat no one wants an XBox either aside from the most schizophrenic fanboys.

Does anyone else remember the claim that the Series X was 30% more powerful than the PS5?

"multi-threading (if it's done well) provides a performance boost of 30% or more"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2020/03/22/power-vs-speed-the-xbox-series-x-and-ps5-are-very-different-animals/amp/

:mj:

Yeah. I would have fired those guys too.

Also the XBox Series X hardware is NOT great. It regularly get outperformed by the PS5 even with it's 12tflops, and costs like 80 dollars more to produce. That's mediocre design compared to PS5.

:luff: The Xbox hardware was a piece of shit. The 12 Tflop Series X was getting smoked regularly by the 10TFlop PS5 in matchups and on top of that the Series S was useless Potato. I would have fired the whole team too.

This rumor lends credence to the idea they will be going handheld or mobile next gen. They will still get smoked by Nintendo in this department or the rumored PS Portable.

Quote from: Cell on February 11, 2024, 08:44:57 PMDoes anyone else remember the claim that the Series X was 30% more powerful than the PS5?

"multi-threading (if it's done well) provides a performance boost of 30% or more"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2020/03/22/power-vs-speed-the-xbox-series-x-and-ps5-are-very-different-animals/amp/

:mj:

Yeah. I would have fired those guys too.

The Xbox Series X IS ~30% more powerful than the PS5 in compute scenarios.  Newer games which make use of mesh shading and other compute based rendering pipelines have been performing demonstrably better than on the PS5.

It's really a case of developers targeting PS5, and it having better development tools compared to Xbox consoles.  So most of the 3rd party games out there aren't in any rush to incorporate the latest DirectX feature sets.  And regarding MS' own studios, they've been dropping the ball all over the place and have so many management issues that they're not taking advantage of the hardware either.  We've yet to see what studios like The Coalition can do with Series X with a new game designed specifically around the hardware.

There's nothing wrong with the hardware, the potential is all there.  The design is nice but it is overly complicated compared to PS5 with its main and daughter boards.. and because Xbox sells the worst, they get the worst deals by manufacturers, so they end up paying more to produce it.  But the design is good.  I think they made a smart decision to just go with a 2.5GB/s SSD.. since even the biggest Sony games aren't pushing anything more than that and run perfectly fine on lower end PC hardware.

The biggest issue affecting Xbox, is that it's just not a priority for developers to optimize for as much as the PS5 is.. and their own development studios haven't yet produced anything which is convincing anyone of a meaningful improvement over the PS5. 

Quote from: Remij on February 11, 2024, 10:39:52 PMThe Xbox Series X IS ~30% more powerful than the PS5 in compute scenarios.  Newer games which make use of mesh shading and other compute based rendering pipelines have been performing demonstrably better than on the PS5.

It's really a case of developers targeting PS5, and it having better development tools compared to Xbox consoles.  So most of the 3rd party games out there aren't in any rush to incorporate the latest DirectX feature sets.  And regarding MS' own studios, they've been dropping the ball all over the place and have so many management issues that they're not taking advantage of the hardware either.  We've yet to see what studios like The Coalition can do with Series X with a new game designed specifically around the hardware.

There's nothing wrong with the hardware, the potential is all there.  The design is nice but it is overly complicated compared to PS5 with its main and daughter boards.. and because Xbox sells the worst, they get the worst deals by manufacturers, so they end up paying more to produce it.  But the design is good.  I think they made a smart decision to just go with a 2.5GB/s SSD.. since even the biggest Sony games aren't pushing anything more than that and run perfectly fine on lower end PC hardware.

The biggest issue affecting Xbox, is that it's just not a priority for developers to optimize for as much as the PS5 is.. and their own development studios haven't yet produced anything which is convincing anyone of a meaningful improvement over the PS5.

I agree with your point about MS first parties studios failing to push it to the edge of what it can do coupled with the flat out shocking mismanagement coming out of Xbox right now (and to be frank the last ten years). 

I don't agree it's 30% more powerful, in real world terms. How is it possible that it can be that much more powerful without ANYBODY showing us what it came really do. The answer is either it's just simply not, or that Microsoft's studios and management are just completely inept at every level. My wager is it's just not 30% more powerful. Even if I'm wrong, TLHBO.