Sign in to follow this  
-GD-

The Official Fitness Thread

popular programs (that work)

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ = probably the best for developing a strong, muscular foundation. 

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-build-a-workout-routine/ - now, this is a 5 day "bro split" on the surface.  however, all of the exercises michael mathews recommends are top tier. plus, he says you can hit a lagging area on a second day.  

https://www.lifestyleupdated.com/insanity-max-30-review/ insanity max 30 is perfect for beginners who want to get lean as fuck, and even get some noob gains. it requires 0 equipment and is great for people who aren't motivated. the workouts are also short. 

** to those who have sufficient muscle mass and want to do a low carb cut, i recommend doing a maintenance 5x5 (keeps strength without requiring too many carbs). 

---------

best youtube fitness guru

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24

i have incorporated a lot of his techniques - and they work! plus, he's the king of figuring out how to fix issues like tendonitis (he worked for the mets)

------------

best bodybuilding sites

https://www.t-nation.com/

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-build-muscle/

let me know what you want me to add

2 minutes ago, -GD- said:

will add some nutrition links too. 

make some diet specials and I'm sold. Might get into working out someday. 

basically, alan aragon is the king of nutrition in fitness. even micahel mathews credits him in his book muscle for life.  

stop it aza. :mjcry: I copy pasted that shit you recommended me on ss. I will try it next years. 

Here's how I went from 190 lbs to 160 lbs.

Grocery list:

Olive oil

1x package of fingerling potatoes

1x small package of white mushrooms

1x can of black beans

1x package of thin sliced boneless/skinless chicken breasts (HEB has these pre-seasoned).

1x package of frozen broccoli florets

1x garlic bulb

Fruit of your choice

Cut up the potatoes into no larger than 1x1 in. pieces, if you even need to.  Put in gallon ziplock with mushrooms, mince and add garlic (2-3 cloves worth) and some olive oil, then close bag and mix insides thoroughly.  Preheat oven to 400, place potatoes in oven safe pan (i use a cast iron skillet), and bake for 55 minutes.

Throw chicken on the grill.  Cook until 165 degrees on the inside.  A meat thermometer helps.

Broccoli can be placed into a microwave-safe tupperware and nuked for 6 minutes to cook.  Comes out steamed.

Can of black beans can be heated on the stove.

Once everything is cooked, you can slice the chicken up, and separate everything else into 4 equal containers for 4 meals.  I usually double this recipe to make 8 at a time.   I ate one at lunch and one at dinner.  If I got hungry for breakfast or in between meals, I ate a piece of fruit.  Doing this I lost 30 lbs in less than 3 months.

EDIT: I should mention that by "doing this" i mean "doing this and ONLY this".  No soda, but black coffee and unsweet tea are ok.  No candy bars or junk food or breads or any of that shit.  Once you've gotten down to your goal weight, which should be around the mid-point of "normal" BMI, then you can start adding in breads here and there.  

Edited by McWickedSmawt85
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I went down from 33% body fat a few years ago to 19% bf today (there are differente methodologies to measuring it, I've kept the same nutritionist for years for consistency and its a very stringent scale; when I measured with the girl at my gym I get 13%).

Happy with my progress but of course, I've hit plateaus or even regressions. Mostly because of times I hadn't been consistent with my diet so now I eat calories like clockwork.

I became able to bench two plates this year. That's 80% of my body weight so it's good for me. Can probably do reps of 7-11. Max may be over my body weight.

2 hours ago, Kitad said:

I went down from 33% body fat a few years ago to 19% bf today (there are differente methodologies to measuring it, I've kept the same nutritionist for years for consistency and its a very stringent scale; when I measured with the girl at my gym I get 13%).

Happy with my progress but of course, I've hit plateaus or even regressions. Mostly because of times I hadn't been consistent with my diet so now I eat calories like clockwork.

Sugars and pop does wonders to fatter people.

7 minutes ago, kokujin said:

I became able to bench two plates this year. That's 80% of my body weight so it's good for me. Can probably do reps of 7-11. Max may be over my body weight.

I can bench two plates too. always. :mjcry:

8 minutes ago, kokujin said:

Sugars and pop does wonders to fatter people.

yea man drinking water is like the holy grail of a healthy diet. I still have problems with that shit. 

I started back doing Stronglifts 5x5 (well, it's slightly modified version....front squats instead on day 2 and adds some pull ups/tricep pulldowns/biceps). It's been okay. I plateau'd a couple more times than I've wanted. I need to buy my own 2.5lb plates cause my shitty condo gym only has 5lb as the lowest which has made progression a bit harder for bench (maybe I'm just being a bitch). 

Still, I know the program is proven, but there's so few exercises that I feel like I'm doing nothing. I might keep this going till the new year then try a PPL split. I've also been trying to get my cardio up and I don't think it helps when I squat before/after each time. 

Goal wise I just wanna get in shape decent. I gained like 20 pounds over the past couple years. Funny part is I've actually been healthier...eating better (I started bringing lunch instead of grabbing fast food type stuff each day), eating breakfast which I never used to do (though that probably helped with the weight thing), quit smoking (also probably didn't help with the weight thing), etc. I'm like 190-195 right now, want to get down to 185 probably (6'2 so that seems about right). I do pretty good with my diet for the most part until I decide to smoke a bowl or the weekend rolls around. 

What do you guys do in terms or stretching/flexibility (if anything)? Seriously, I'm the least flexible person ever and I'm almost always tensed up. I've tried to start doing some stretches but honestly don't know where to begin and whenever I try I just get frustrated. My girl keeps telling me to go to yoga but i unno.

18 minutes ago, Casual said:

What do you guys do in terms or stretching/flexibility (if anything)? Seriously, I'm the least flexible person ever and I'm almost always tensed up. I've tried to start doing some stretches but honestly don't know where to begin and whenever I try I just get frustrated. My girl keeps telling me to go to yoga but i unno.

Calisthenics. I always include slow dips, lunges, handstand push ups, archer push ups, diamond push ups, single leg deadlifts, dead hand pull ups, and inverted rows. Bodyweight training really adds to mobility. The trick is to aim for time under tension. 10 clean, controlled reps > 20 sloppy ones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -GD- said:

Calisthenics. I always include slow dips, lunges, handstand push ups, archer push ups, diamond push ups, single leg deadlifts, dead hand pull ups, and inverted rows. Bodyweight training really adds to mobility. The trick is to aim for time under tension. 10 clean, controlled reps > 20 sloppy ones.

Sweet. Gonna try doing some of these. Didn't realize bodyweight exercises were so good for mobility. 

13 minutes ago, Casual said:

Sweet. Gonna try doing some of these. Didn't realize bodyweight exercises were so good for mobility. 

Oh yeah! They are great for hip, knee, shoulder, lower back, and elbow health. 

Weight loss is easy. The way we eat it is all wrong! Eat big breakfast and lunch, have a tiny dinner. You do not need to eat before going to bed. It's a cultural thing as to why we eat large dinners, nothing more. There is no need for it. I usually just have a salad and some yogurt as my dinner. I've lost 30lbs this year without changing my workout routine.