Sign in to follow this  
McWicked

The Official "What are you reading" Thread

A few years ago I really got into Stephen King.  Prior to that I only read stuff that my wife urged me to read, like the Hunger Games trilogy (1's ok, 2's legit good, 3 sucked balls).  I read Stephen King's IT over the course of about a month because mother fucker that book is long as shit.  Since then, I've completed the following:

Stephen King's IT

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger

The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three

The Dark Tower: The Wastelands

The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass

The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla

The Dark Tower: Song of Susannah

The Dark Tower VII

The Dark Tower: The Wind Through The Keyhole

Salem's Lot

The Stand

Each time I read through a particularly long book, I'd usually wind down with something easy to read, so I picked up the Harry Potter Series and have gotten through these books in that series:

Sorcerer's Stone

Chamber of Secrets

Prisoner of Azkaban

The Goblet of Fire

The Order of the Phoenix

I just started Half Blood Prince and will probably finish out the series before moving on to something a bit more classic.  My future reading list looks like this so far:

The Hobbit

Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King

Carrie

The Shinning (cool note: the shinning is a common power in King's universe; just about everyone in the Stand has it to some degree or another).

Insomnia

11/22/63 (This book has some members of the Loser's Club after their adult encounter with Pennywise in IT)

Does anyone else here read?  Like, at all?  Except for lemmings, of course. :killzone: 

• Upvote 1

Currently on Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmonds.  After reading Hyperion, which is an amazing bit of scifi, I wanted discover more of his stuff.   Carrion Comfort is listed under the horror genre but at about half way through I can safely say this is not an outright horror book and is more of a murder mystery/psychological thriller with an awesome premise.   The horror elements are more disturbing and gory than they are horrifying.  Just like in Hyperion, and I'm assuming other books by Simmonds, he flows between a variety of genres at will and feels at home during any given one.  My only complaint about this book so far is that it's a tad bit over written, yet it always manages to payoff, despite the grueling over explanation of certain scenes.  It is his second book. 

Previous to Carrion Comfort. I finally read Dune which was fantastic.

Up next after Carrion I'm not sure.  I have a nice pile of stuff here.  

-Well of Ascension - Book 2 of the Mistborn series - Brandon Sanderson

-Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

-Snow Crash - Neil Stevenson 

-Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

-Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon

-Ender's Shadow - Orson Scott Card

-Speaker for the Dead/Xenocide - Orson Scott Card

-Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut

Thinkin Snow Crash or Well of Ascension next.  Any comments on any of these would be great.

Also, the Shining is one of my favorite King novels.  If you start that up, let us know.

40 minutes ago, Boss said:

I've been meaning to continue on with this series as well.  I read Ender's Game a while back at the wife's request, right as the movie was coming out.  I've been told Speaker for the Dead was better than Ender's Game.

4 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

I've been meaning to continue on with this series as well.  I read Ender's Game a while back at the wife's request, right as the movie was coming out.  I've been told Speaker for the Dead was better than Ender's Game.

I read enders and loved it.  Got to it a bit late in my reading career too.  My gf read enders at my request and she enjoyed it more than she expected.  She ended up reading the next in the series before me.  But opposite to what you were told, its not quite as good as the first.  Can only know once we read it ourselves. 

Other peoples opinions lol

18 minutes ago, Casual said:

I just finished The Stand a couple months ago. Great book, ending was a little weak though. 

I read the unabridged version.  Main differences is about 400 extra pages and taking place in 1990 instead of 1978 as the original release did.  I think the ending made far more sense in the overall cannon of SK's universe.

Guest switched

READING is this a ghey forum now

kirt cobain story by some dude about 15 christmases ago :interesting:last shit i red as in book etc

I finished Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro like a week ago. It was really good and no wonder he won the Nobel prize. It's SLOW in the first 120 pages though and took a while to get into, but then the story became really captivating after about page 120. Def gonna read more by this guy

And I just completed Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton yesterday. It had its charms and it kept me reading. 3.5/5 stars

58 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

I read the unabridged version.  Main differences is about 400 extra pages and taking place in 1990 instead of 1978 as the original release did.  I think the ending made far more sense in the overall cannon of SK's universe.

Yeah I read the same version. I'm not sure how it differs from the original tbh since I've never read that one. 

I finished Count of Montecristo as my "light" novel a couple of days ago. Really good, really satisfying.

And I'm also about to finish Meditation by Marcus Aurelius, the roman "philosopher emperor". Interesting if you are into stoicism.

5 hours ago, Boss said:

Also, the Shining is one of my favorite King novels.  If you start that up, let us know.

It was requirement to read this in becoming a postulant at my church.

11 hours ago, Angel Jim said:

It was requirement to read this in becoming a postulant at my church.

Speaking of required reading: Starship Troopers is required reading on a lot of US Military reading lists:

http://guides.grc.usmcu.edu/content.php?pid=408059&sid=5775642

I want to read through it then see how it compares to Verhoven's depiction in the movies.  I wonder if his fascistic depiction of the book is his own making or if the book actually depicts a fascist society.

im reading thomas thiemeyer's valhalla atm. I heard good things about the dark tower saga I need to check it out. And yea harry pee is an easy read but man i love these books. :lovesad:

I bought Bob Mould's autobiography (See a little light) months back but have only read a few pages of it so will probably continue reading that soon, particularly over the holiday period.

21 hours ago, Boss said:

Currently on Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmonds.  After reading Hyperion, which is an amazing bit of scifi, I wanted discover more of his stuff.   Carrion Comfort is listed under the horror genre but at about half way through I can safely say this is not an outright horror book and is more of a murder mystery/psychological thriller with an awesome premise.   The horror elements are more disturbing and gory than they are horrifying.  Just like in Hyperion, and I'm assuming other books by Simmonds, he flows between a variety of genres at will and feels at home during any given one.  My only complaint about this book so far is that it's a tad bit over written, yet it always manages to payoff, despite the grueling over explanation of certain scenes.  It is his second book. 

Previous to Carrion Comfort. I finally read Dune which was fantastic.

Up next after Carrion I'm not sure.  I have a nice pile of stuff here.  

-Well of Ascension - Book 2 of the Mistborn series - Brandon Sanderson

-Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

-Snow Crash - Neil Stevenson 

-Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

-Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon

-Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut

Thinkin Snow Crash or Well of Ascension next.  Any comments on any of these would be great.

1) my biggest comment is to skip ayn rand because it's a waste of time and can be summarized in 30 min of wikipedia reading.

2) also, i wanna read Pynchon sometime let me know how that one goes

3) Farenheit 451 was great

4) never read Vonnegut, maybe i should some day.

i think my next book is gonna be an old Victorian mystery novel I can just sink my teeth into B) Maybe The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

4 hours ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

Speaking of required reading: Starship Troopers is required reading on a lot of US Military reading lists:

http://guides.grc.usmcu.edu/content.php?pid=408059&sid=5775642

I want to read through it then see how it compares to Verhoven's depiction in the movies.  I wonder if his fascistic depiction of the book is his own making or if the book actually depicts a fascist society.

You read what you sew. You reap what's written.

1 hour ago, SheepKilla said:

1) my biggest comment is to skip ayn rand because it's a waste of time and can be summarized in 30 min of wikipedia reading.

2) also, i wanna read Pynchon sometime let me know how that one goes

3) Farenheit 451 was great

4) never read Vonnegut, maybe i should some day.

i think my next book is gonna be an old Victorian mystery novel I can just sink my teeth into B) Maybe The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

-lol yea I've heard mixed reactions about Atlas Shrugged.  I am still going to give it a go one day.

-I actually started reading Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow before but stopped.  I just wasn't in the mood for such a book.  It wasn't bad or anything just at the time I didn't wanna read anything too heavy and Gravity's Rainbow is all over the place, many different timelines, walls of text, and weird as fuck.  A lot to take in.

-Vonnegut is great easy reading.  A favorite of mine.  I've read Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Sirens of a Titan, Mother Night and a bunch of shorts and enjoyed them all.  A nice mixture of satire, scifi, politics, and colorful characters - doom and gloom with a sense of hope.  

Some one gifted me this

71Vmj-9DZYL.jpg

The structure of this novel is daunting.  Gonna have to read this shit upside down, sideways, letter by letter, and god knows how else.  Anyone here ever read this? or tried to? 

check out some of the image results should you care

https://www.google.ca/search?q=House+of+Leaves&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA752&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg2e-v47zYAhVL5CYKHYM-AkcQ_AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=944#imgrc=n3Zkf5qFr8PPTM:

「君たち二人が、ずっと僕の周りを飛び回っていたんじゃ、僕の袖の中にでも、むこうから飛び込んでくれないかぎり、スニッチを捕まえるのは無理だよ。だから、二人とも他の選手のところに戻ってくれ。あの狂ったブラッジャーは僕に任せてくれ」
「バカ言うな」フレッドが言った。
「頭を吹っ飛ばされるぞ」

"Look, yall been circling the shit out of me.  As long (unless) as the snitch  doesn't fly (does fly) right into the insides of my sleeves, I can't grab the snitch (even if I wanted to).  So I need you two to leave that cursed bludger to me."

"Don't be stupid.  Your head will be blown off!"

#angel #skills who's a weaboo now

Edited by kokujin