Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ghostz

The stupid phone thread

Recommended Posts

Before fatwallet.com shut down, and its forums, people were talking about horror stories involving Samsung's or T-mobile's VERY STRICT trade-in policy. When they say that the product has to be in "good condition" people were saying that ANY noticeable blemish, just some light scuff or discoloration on the phone does not qualify for the full trade-in credit.

And even worse, there is no way of backing out, at that point. They issue you a standard $50-$150 trade in credit, and not the $500 max credit. They will not mail you back the phone you traded in.

On my Note 5, I have this thing in the upper left corner in which the white film that is behind the glass has separated itself from the glass. And some dirt has appeared to have gotten in between that laminate and the back of the glass. Which sucks, because my Note 5 is in really good condition.  Like REALLY GOOD condition. Just a few small nicks on the aluminum bezel.

No phone cover since the day I got it in Sept 2015.  None. Pure naked phone this entire time, using it quite heavily every day, and putting it in my pocket. It feels awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Before fatwallet.com shut down, and its forums, people were talking about horror stories involving Samsung's or T-mobile's VERY STRICT trade-in policy. When they say that the product has to be in "good condition" people were saying that ANY noticeable blemish, just some light scuff or discoloration on the phone does not qualify for the full trade-in credit.

And even worse, there is no way of backing out, at that point. They issue you a standard $50-$150 trade in credit, and not the $500 max credit. They will not mail you back the phone you traded in.

On my Note 5, I have this thing in the upper left corner in which the white film that is behind the glass has separated itself from the glass. And some dirt has appeared to have gotten in between that laminate and the back of the glass. Which sucks, because my Note 5 is in really good condition.  Like REALLY GOOD condition. Just a few small nicks on the aluminum bezel.

No phone cover since the day I got it in Sept 2015.  None. Pure naked phone this entire time, using it quite heavily every day, and putting it in my pocket. It feels awesome.

With my experience in trading in my S5, you will likely need to at least have the glass and lcd replaced before they will take it. Sad thing is most shops will charge you like $210 just to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Before fatwallet.com shut down, and its forums, people were talking about horror stories involving Samsung's or T-mobile's VERY STRICT trade-in policy. When they say that the product has to be in "good condition" people were saying that ANY noticeable blemish, just some light scuff or discoloration on the phone does not qualify for the full trade-in credit.

And even worse, there is no way of backing out, at that point. They issue you a standard $50-$150 trade in credit, and not the $500 max credit. They will not mail you back the phone you traded in.

On my Note 5, I have this thing in the upper left corner in which the white film that is behind the glass has separated itself from the glass. And some dirt has appeared to have gotten in between that laminate and the back of the glass. Which sucks, because my Note 5 is in really good condition.  Like REALLY GOOD condition. Just a few small nicks on the aluminum bezel.

No phone cover since the day I got it in Sept 2015.  None. Pure naked phone this entire time, using it quite heavily every day, and putting it in my pocket. It feels awesome.

Notes are the best phones. There are a couple really nice cases and super thin screens that I found. You should of got one fammo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on a 6S still. I want to get an 8 (just because i don't think i'd take advantage of an X) but it's taking a while.

I'm on a corporate contract which I don't want to lose (55 bucks a month for 5 gigs and unlimited everything else...whcih is probably shit for most of you but phenomenal for Canada...comparable plans are like double that). Problem is it's grandfathered so if I do my 2 year upgrade through my provider they want me to switch plans. At this point I'd be better off buying the phone outright. That said, I had the same problem my last upgrade cycle and finally found some kid who didn't give a fuck at rogers and just put it through anyway...so I'm hoping I can get lucky again.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lynux3 said:

I stopped being a phone peasant years ago. Incremental upgrades for $500-800 a year isn't worth it.

Hop on a plan w/ free upgrades homie. TF you doing. I’m saving money from upgrading to the X from the 7 plus. About 20$ a month 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Hop on a plan w/ free upgrades homie. TF you doing. I’m saving money from upgrading to the X from the 7 plus. About 20$ a month 

So I am an Android user, but getting a phone through a carrier is the worst choice you can make. Because when there is a software upgrade the carrier QC's it and it takes months longer for it to release. For that I applaud Apple for not letting carriers fuck with their shit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

So I am an Android user, but getting a phone through a carrier is the worst choice you can make. Because when there is a software upgrade the carrier QC's it and it takes months longer for it to release. For that I applaud Apple for not letting carriers fuck with their shit.

Fair enough, before there were upgrades like there is now tho I’d buy the phone and just sell it and then get the new one for ~200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ghostz said:

Fair enough, before there were upgrades like there is now tho I’d buy the phone and just sell it and then get the new one for ~200

Yeah, I did the same thing, but it kind of limits you to a certain brand. Like if you got an LG or something not popular like a Galaxy it was hard to sell and/or you had to reduce the price significantly for someone to bite. Luckily for you iPhone users those phones get snatched up in no time. Even iPhone 6s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was reading an article about how phone carriers are angry that they are forced to offer unlimited data plans.

And thank goodness the options have opened up a bit within the past couple of years. My AT&T Unlimited Data Plan that I've maintained since 2007 doesn't have any special value anymore. So, i am just about certain that I will be moving to T-mobile.

The only concern is that T-mobile advertises that their signal is really good throughout Dallas, but people anecdotally tell me that it isn't. Its one of those things where I am not going to be certain until I have the service activated, and I am testing it out in my part of town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T-Mobile has a coverage map and it's surprisingly detailed. Just find your location and it'll actually tell you signal quality. Like in my area further south of you T-Mobile says the signal quality in my area is "Fair" and it sure as fuck is fair. I don't care though, my phone is mostly hooked up to Wi-Fi (plus Wi-Fi calling) and about a mile outside of where I live the quality goes way right up. It's just where I reside the signal blows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had TMobile for like 15 years . Have sprint now.  TMobile had worse coverage but not by much .

 

Not many places I had issues with it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JonB1 said:

I had TMobile for like 15 years . Have sprint now.  TMobile had worse coverage but not by much .

 

Not many places I had issues with it .

It's possible that T-Mobile and Sprint could be merging soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By -GD-★
      http://gametyrant.com/news/shenmue-3-now-has-a-release-date 
       
       
    • By Remij_★
      https://wccftech.com/hdr-gaming-interest-group-formed-optimize/
       
      So a bunch of gaming and display companies grouped together to improve and adhere to certain best practices for optimizing HDR content.
       
      Activision Publishing, Inc. ASUSTek Computer Inc. CAPCOM Co., Ltd. Electronic Arts Epic Games HP Inc. Koninklijke Philips N.V. LG Electronics, Inc. Microsoft Corporation Panasonic Corporation SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS Co., Ltd. Sony Interactive Entertainment Sony Visual Products SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation Ubisoft Unity Vicarious Visions VIZIO, Inc. WB Games  
      That's a good list so far.. and more will be joining for sure.  This is EXACTLY what was needed in all honesty.  There's too much variance in the experience for people currently due to the implementations and limitations from game developers and display manufacturers respectively.
       
      There's a Best Practices document that outlines basic guidelines that developers and manufacturers should follow to allow for the best experience possible for each user, while at the same time ensuring that the playing field remains fair for those who's displays might not have the same capability.
       
      An example was that one user's TV may allow them to see a turn in a racing game coming out of a dark tunnel  before other racers, allowing them more time to react and judge the turn better.  So they propose that developers map their games with "primary" and "extended" HDR ranges depending on the context so that people with say 1000nit displays and 600nit displays would see the gameplay essential HDR content in the same luminance, while the other content could range all the way to the 1000nit brightness and still take advantage of the users display.
       
      Another example was a "zombie" game where some players might be able to see zombies in the dark better than others, giving them an unfair advantage.
       
      So basically just keeping the gameplay critical things in mind when developing their games to make sure it's displayed the same across a wide variety of displays.  That seems like a great way to balance it out, while also taking the most advantage of all users displays as much as possible.
       
      https://www.hgig.org/doc/ForBetterHDRGaming.pdf
       
      @Alphonse I don't know if you'd want to make a news post out of this for the front page but it's an idea if you're looking for more content to add.
  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
×