Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MalaXmaS

People who live in snowy areas. What car do you have?

Recommended Posts

Right where I live, snow is a very common ocurrence and because of that, car choice can be limited to whether it is 4awd or not (or so I thought).

Looking for a new car, and I was limited to getting a boring SUV with auto trans but I've been reading around and you can make a small car drivable with the right set of tires.

I was thinking about the Focus ST or the Veloster R on Blizzak tires when winter time rolls around.

Your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Si with factory all seasons in Pittsburgh.

Fwd is fine especially if they have a lsd.

 

Winter tires you'll be set . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonB1 said:

I have a Si with factory all seasons in Pittsburgh.

Fwd is fine especially if they have a lsd.

 

Winter tires you'll be set . 

Nice. My only problem will be when it snows more than a foot. 

But, I hear it snows a shit lot in PA too. 

So it's all good. No need for a Jeep then, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if there is a foot of snow that's gonna be bad for any car lol . If there's a foot of snow I don't drive for sure ha .

 

If that's a common thing id go awd. Golf gti and wrx are both in same price range as a ST 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nissan X-Trail, All Seasons, 4WD.

 

Never owned a set of winter tires all my life in Canada.  It's always been enough in the city or suburban outskirts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JonB1 said:

Well if there is a foot of snow that's gonna be bad for any car lol . If there's a foot of snow I don't drive for sure ha .

 

If that's a common thing id go awd. Golf gti and wrx are both in same price range as a ST 

If PA is anything like CT, it always snows on winter. However my problem is not snow itself but rather those freak storms that happen at least once every season and blanket everything with a foot of snow. 

With that mind, I can only pick something like the Wrangler. 

I would LOVE to drive something like the John Cooper Works Mini on the snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Boss said:

Nissan X-Trail, All Seasons, 4WD.

 

Never owned a set of winter tires all my life in Canada.  It's always been enough in the city or suburban outskirts 

All Seasons are always hit or miss. The problem with them is that lack traction in both conditions just to compensate for a midground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BodyCrashX said:

when i save up a sizeable enough down payment I want to buy the Colorado ZR2

 

2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-lead.jpg?int

 

At least you will never get stuck with that. Trucks are not my cup of tea though. I want something, fast and nimble AND with 6 speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

At least you will never get stuck with that. Trucks are not my cup of tea though. I want something, fast and nimble AND with 6 speed.

aye. Anything nice will get decimated by the salt and shitty roads here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

If PA is anything like CT, it always snows on winter. However my problem is not snow itself but rather those freak storms that happen at least once every season and blanket everything with a foot of snow. 

With that mind, I can only pick something like the Wrangler. 

I would LOVE to drive something like the John Cooper Works Mini on the snow.

We get a decent amount of snow here. 

The rare occurrence when we get like a foot I stay my ass home lol .

 

I would hate to buy a car for the chance that it might get a huge storm here and there .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ghostz said:

get a subaru 

WRX is the only thing I'd consider and even they are too low to clear a foot of snow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they not plow the roads there ? If there is a literal foot of snow on the ground , I doubt any vehicle would do that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how many months do you have without snow? I have to move somewhere else, too hot here :sad: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kazie's saltyhermitdenial said:

how many months do you have without snow? I have to move somewhere else, too hot here :sad: 

Half of the year is dry. The other half there is potential for a huge storm and often happens twice or thrice every season. 

When it happens, I can't rely on the snow plower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×