Sign in to follow this  
Ramza

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is truly a return to form for the franchise.

i like the mechanics and concepts of these games, but they're just way too unforgiving. Speaking from my experience with the first one, the battles become so long and exhausting with no checkpoints in between to save your progress. Then if you make a few dumb mistakes, you pretty much have to start the whole thing over. Im surprised these don't have the same reputation as the Souls games, because I honestly found VC to be more 'hardcore' and intimidating than them.

35 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

i like the mechanics and concepts of these games, but they're just way too unforgiving. Speaking from my experience with the first one, the battles become so long and exhausting with no checkpoints in between to save your progress. Then if you make a few dumb mistakes, you pretty much have to start the whole thing over. Im surprised these don't have the same reputation as the Souls games, because I honestly found VC to be more 'hardcore' and intimidating than them.

First it wasn't that hard besides a few missions. Secondly you don't need to restart a whole mission just because you did a few mistakes, you have 3 turns to grab someone before they permanently dies and that's more than enough. I don't think it ever happened to me in fact.

9 minutes ago, Hopes and Dreams™ said:

These games tend to fuck you over by spawning enemies in the middle of the battle due to "story"  in the most fucked up placed like a behind you or flanking you.

Just like in real life :duke:

1 hour ago, Hopes and Dreams™ said:

These games tend to fuck you over by spawning enemies in the middle of the battle due to "story"  in the most fucked up placed like a behind you or flanking you.

No idea what you're talking about and I %100 the game and S ranked all missions. Enemies can only spawn in bases which you're supposed to take to avoid said scenario. Just because you sucks doesn't mean it's broken.

The only cheap shit in Valkyria are the boss fights like the tank and Silveria simply because they have tons of life and kill your units fast as fuck.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ramza said:

First it wasn't that hard besides a few missions. Secondly you don't need to restart a whole mission just because you did a few mistakes, you have 3 turns to grab someone before they permanently dies and that's more than enough. I don't think it ever happened to me in fact.

well i suck at strategy games in general, so im sure that contributed to it. I just want them to add mid-mission checkpoints or save points, so I don't have to commit to finish a grueling battle in one sitting (i know the first let you suspend the session but thats not the same thing).

edit: I see you mentioned the tank above, i think thats actually the mission that made me throw in the towel on the game.

Edited by Twinblade

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

well i suck at strategy games in general, so im sure that contributed to it. I just want them to add mid-mission checkpoints or save points, so I don't have to commit to finish a grueling battle in one sitting (i know the first let you suspend the session but thats not the same thing).

edit: I see you mentioned the tank above, i think thats actually the mission that made me throw in the towel on the game.

They might to do that in this one. I don't know.

This looks EXACTLY like the 2008 version. You could tell me its an expansion pack I didn't know about and I'd believe you. Like even the UI is the same.

Its great we are getting classic VC, but they could have retained the essence and still enhancing it.

I mean the game is 10 years old FFS

3 hours ago, Kitad said:

This looks EXACTLY like the 2008 version. You could tell me its an expansion pack I didn't know about and I'd believe you. Like even the UI is the same.

Its great we are getting classic VC, but they could have retained the essence and still enhancing it.

I mean the game is 10 years old FFS

I know, I agree. 

Heh, whatever, I still find it's visuals appealing. I have no problems with how it looks, maybe if this one sells better, they'll up their budget. Their last game Valkyria Revolution flopped hard.

22 hours ago, Ramza said:

I know, I agree. 

Heh, whatever, I still find it's visuals appealing. I have no problems with how it looks, maybe if this one sells better, they'll up their budget. Their last game Valkyria Revolution flopped hard.

I'm not complaining about the graphics.

Gameplay wise? Well that's exactly what I want. New type of units and armored vehicles is all it really needed.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Gameplay wise? Well that's exactly what I want. New type of units and armored vehicles is all it really needed.

It's been years since I played the original, but you know what this franchise needs?

Mother fuckin' Base-Building.  Make your own town and defend it.