Sign in to follow this  
Vini

At what point can video games become immoral?

If the software/hardware/code got advanced enough that NPCs become conscious and self aware would you have a moral issue with playing a game like GTA?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. If the software/hardware/code got advanced enough that NPCs become conscious and self aware would you have a moral issue with playing a game like GTA? 

• Yes
    • No

32 minutes ago, dakur said:

Oh I missed this. Ok, in very general terms because I don't have time to explain in detail.

Imagine a newborn. The level of consciousness of a newborn is very basic. It is aware of its surroundings but not exactly of itself as an individual or even of what's going on around it. When that newborn grows up it starts to gather information and integrate it to understand the world around it. Around 4 years of age kids pass the Maxi test which basically proves that they are finally able to differentiate other people's minds from their own. This is necessary to generate a sense of self and a personal identity. AKA being completely conscious of yourself as a human/individual. So consciousness in this perspective is connected tightly with creating a personal identity that differentiates you from others. That means that newborn generated its identity out of the interaction and contact with its surroundings, in complete isolation that newborn would have remained with a minimum level of consciousness and would have never developed a sense of identity or self.

Now going to Chalmers pansychism. It says that the building blocks of the universe are in a very basic way conscious or carry consciousness building blocks. Where these basic small consciousness come from nobody knows but this is where my theory steps in. I think that the same principle applied to the newborn could be applied to these building blocks on a quantum level. So a quantum particle is in infinite states at the same time, it doesn't "choose" a state until it has a sort of "observer" (it is measured) who sort of defines that state for it. I think this "observation" could be considered a primal interaction of this particle with its surroundings but interestingly enough, this basic interaction provides the particle with a definition (an identity). I think this identity will become more and more defined the more this particle interacts with other particles or other "observers" because it will find its role inside the whole system. Once this happens then I think you could say the particle has a very basic sort of conscious information about its identity and role in the universe even if it's very very basic but that's what pansychism speculates.

So, in summary I think consciousness is the product of the developing of an identity by interacting with the surroundings which is, ultimately needed to define the role of that entity inside a system and to differentiate it from all the other entities. It could be particles, it could be individuals from a species trying to survive, it could be whole groups of individuals acting as single entities like ant colonies or it could be a complex system like planet Earth. All these systems at different levels have a sort of role and identity that was defined in part by interacting with other elements and giving them a role which defines their identity and I think consciousness is related to this process.

Interesting. The panpsuchysm idea is very interesting, I dont know enough about quantum superposition to understand the connection you're drawing, it would be fascinating if it all scales that way though. 

Seems like the hard problem at least the way some neuroscientists are defining it would be an ever moving goal post of "yea but how do you explain the  experience". 

after vinni's and dakur's discussion

^ this is the same fool that thought robots and AI can be the same damn type of consciousness.  :D:D man you're a lit nut. 

Edited by kokujin

38 minutes ago, ghostz said:

how many drugs were taken for this thread to happen 

somebody mail me some ACID.  LSD. PLEASE.

8 minutes ago, kokujin said:

after vinni's and dakur's discussion

^ this is the same fool that thought robots and AI can be the same damn type of consciousness.  :D:D man you're a lit nut. 

I don't know if it's the same conciousness but again there's no known law of physics that limits conciousness to apes such as ourselves. In fact I think digital conciousness can and will most likely surpass us to the point that we might seem like shitty little ants compared to the spectrum of pleasure and suffering it could experience. Including subconscious experience like psychadelics. 

Edited by Vini

Just now, Vini said:

I don't know if it's the same conciousness but again there's no known law of physics that limits conciousness to apes such as ourselves. In fact I think digital conciousness can probably surpass us to the point that we might seem like shitty little ants compared to the spectrum of pleasure and suffering it could feel. 

you are confused. massively confused. On one breathe you are talking about the marvel of being a conscious being. then you think an inanimate object can become it.  

NO stupid. At best a fucking AI can have great memory or calculating skills.  It's a fucking machine. Say it again with me. It's a fucking machine.  Dude get hit by a car. seriously. 

No you're just completely failing to imagine a sufficiently advanced AI. Go watch Blade Runner or something. 

2 minutes ago, Vini said:

No you're just completely failing to imagine a sufficiently advanced AI. Go watch Blade Runner or something. 

that's not a conscious being.   weren't you talking about NPCs in a GTA game?  lmfao.

you are so confused. 

Just now, kokujin said:

that's not a conscious being.   weren't you talking about NPCs in a GTA game?  lmfao.

you are so confused. 

Yes it is, that's the whole point of the movie. Blade Runner depicts concious AI. 

Are you on a spectrum or something? Look up AGI. Artificial General Intelligence. I'm not talking about calculators dipstick. 

not going to bother.   you think inanimate objects can become part of the universe like they get a fucking invite. 

Edited by kokujin

You shouldn't have bothered replying to begin with this is clearly above your head. You can't even hypothetically imagine a concious machine? People did that a century ago

:eyeroll:  a machine that does the pursuit of happiness dance?  no. what are you on. mail it to me.

link me to a conscious machine. not from rotton tomatoes. 

I knew you were a faggot as soon as you declared yourself smarter than most people. Go drop some more acid