Sign in to follow this  
Aza Team 2019

In Retrospective the PS3 turn around was insane

PS3's complete and utter domination of the gen 2009 and onwards, and a final culmination in the PS4 reveal and complete comeback to market leader.

No other console has ever made such a comeback during the middle of the gen like PS3.

Sega? Saturn, Dream cast failed.

Nintendo? N64 killed them as market leader with no comeback that gen. Gamecube and Wii U couldn't be salvaged mid gen.

XBox One, MS is still limping along like a complete dud with Phil begging people to wait. It's too late for a comeback 5 years in. Failed.

Edited by Hopes and Dreams™
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, coming in at a steep price, limited appeal in exclusives and still able to beat the shit out of Xbox 360 in sales, games and services. Xbox 360 had a fuck ton of momentum out of the gate and still keeled over to PlayStation. Sony pulled off something most would see as impossible, especially Microsoft.

XBox 2009-2013 literally felt like it was just Kinect and COD map packs. I shelved that piece of shit after Halo ODST. How did they manage to fuck it up is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, Hopes and Dreams™ said:

XBox 2009-2013 literally felt like it was just Kinect and COD map packs. I shelved that piece of shit after Halo ODST. How did they manage to fuck it up is beyond me.

MS problem is that their audience sucks. Look at them this gen, they justify everything, MS can't do wrong, everything they do is for some hope and dreams imaginary scenario in the future that never comes. For a gaming company to actually do gaming well they need a good audience that pushes them in the right direction not a bunch of brainless subservient lemmings. I still remember how strongly they defended kinect even when it was shown to be pure smokes and mirrors useless shit they kept trying to hype it.

Sony basically sat and listened and got things right. Although if you think about it the original fat PS3 was a beast. They just aimed too high and made a bet for a hybrid architecture instead of a more regular CPU and GPU one whcih they initially lost. 

MS doesn't take any risks. cancelbound was the only game that got me interested in xbox again but they fucked it up. I don't give a shit about their internal problems. I want to see results and have something to play. I'm a consumer afterall. 

I think people need to look at the sales numbers from 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 to see how they sneakily were able to right the ship.

I may also have to do with people feeling better coming out of the recession in 2010-2012 to start spending again.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I think people need to look at the sales numbers from 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 to see how they sneakily were able to right the ship.

I may also have to do with people feeling better coming out of the recession in 2010-2012 to start spending again.

New gens allow for comebacks, but a mid gen revival goes beyond a simple recession I think.

They produced a high quality console, and they simply got it to a mass market price while getting out games people were enjoying.

I don’t believe Sony ever really “turned it around” or “started investing in first party” like some people argue

They were always producing high quality games, even throughout the PS2 gen. Ratchet, Jak, Sly, GT3, SOCOM, GOW, ICO, SOTC all legitimately great.

Even at the PS3 launch reveals it was stacked with first party - Motorstorm, KZ2, Uncharted (didn’t have a name then), Lair, Warhawk, Resistance, Genji and GT. The investment in first party was there, it was just a bit scattergun in its focus and Sony hadn’t really figured out a niche like it has these days - which led to some flops, some decent games and some great games

Sony’s first party has been a work in progress of over a decade before it really started paying dividends about 10 years ago, and has been refined even more since

You can’t just turn off your first party strategy then restart it like MS are now trying to do. MS abandoned all sense at the height of popularity. They were reducing first party investment while Kinect was selling fuckloads. And showed no ambition to correct the ship when things were at their worst to start the gen. It can take years for a developer to get it right as Guerrilla showed, and with five year dev cycles these days I just don’t see how you can really build up new studios anymore

14 hours ago, Hopes and Dreams™ said:

I said this the whole time and nobody listened :D lemshits were still boasting despite their games drying up.

Once Wii took off and Microsoft decided that's what they wanted Xbox to be they gave up.

28 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

I said this the whole time and nobody listened :D lemshits were still boasting despite their games drying up.

Once Wii took off and Microsoft decided that's what they wanted Xbox to be they gave up.

I remember all the 360 baised Neogaf.com at the time arguing how exclusives don't matter that it's multiplats that sell systems anyways. That worked out well...

LMFAO these delulu cows with their history revisionism, PS3rd was absolute trash all the way through. Its only saving grace was having Demon's Souls and even then the game looked ugly af :fatcruise:

Edited by bhytre