Sign in to follow this  
Cookester15

The state of comedy in a hyper sensitive society

1 hour ago, Voidler said:

PC is just something that comes around every few decades. It doesn’t stop a good comedian, in fact if anything it can heighten their comedy by pushing taboos

Some of the best ever comedians emerged in the 80s at the height of political correctness. Bill Burr these days is making a living off of being hilarious and saying fuck it to political correctness 

4 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

I heard the n-bomb and all I can think of is shoot your nigga brain

1 hour ago, zwarri0r said:

Its exactly the same stuff in the video i posted but a black guy talking about it. So you only listen when a black guy talks? lol you racist fuck.  :patrice:

Btw, the thing with comedy is, yeah it can be provocative and poke holes into society's preconceptions

But as the saying goes, comedy should punch up or inwards... if you punch down towards miserable people then you are not a comedian, you are just an asshole

34 minutes ago, Kitad said:

Btw, the thing with comedy is, yeah it can be provocative and poke holes into society's preconceptions

But as the saying goes, comedy should punch up or inwards... if you punch down towards miserable people then you are not a comedian, you are just an asshole

Fuck that comedy police shit there are no rules, Carlin used to punch down all the time and he was hilarious, so did most of the greats. One of the best jokes I've ever heard is Kinnasen making fun of starving African kids. Or Ricky Gervais joke about abused and kidnapped children etc..

The thing with comedy is it needs to be funny, there is no other thing with comedy. As soon as they become activists they're not comedians any more 

Edited by Vini

1 hour ago, Kitad said:

Yeah this is just not true at all. Even outside of stand up, the best comedies definitely punch 'downwards' also. 

Larry David and Curb being a huge example. That show has made jokes about everything imaginable, disabled ppl, midgets, Parkinsons disease, gay relationships, gender tropes, jews, caucasians, african americans, asians, old people, children, the Isreal/Palestine issue,  etc. You name it and it has a been the centre of a joke, ones done incredibly smart and funny but very much making fun of them too. 

The last paragraph of my introduction in an essay I wrote back in school on how comedic actors > drama actors, but only if they are great.

"Therein lies another paradox of being a comedian; having the drama actor, the “thespian”, viewed in higher regard than her; in part due to the third paradox– that to invoke empathy from their audience, the great comedian must remain inferior and offensive. To expose the white straight male, sanctimonious, middle-class angst and prejudice that the drama actor promotes within their audience who, regardless of race, gender or class, empathize with, or even adopt these propagated biases as true and noble. For that same reason, I separate a Bad comedian from a Great one; the Bad comedian appeases their audience’s prejudices, even when detrimental to herself, (such as a minstrelsy). The Bad comedian being more concerned for acceptance, therefore, quoting Diderot, “too sensible”, or preoccupied by finance than ideology; therein “insipid, with no judgement”. It is within that context of title playing I reveal how the Great comedian, the actor’s man, matures society that the drama actor, poet’s man, stagnates, and the bad comedian, the natural man, regresses."

17 minutes ago, zwarri0r said:

"Alt left" now that's funny :jasonj:

yeah it is. Both alt right and left are ridiculous. The identity politics was started by the alt left and the result was the alt right and trump. Thanks a lot  Zwarrior. 

19 minutes ago, zwarri0r said:

How does the alt left differ from just the left?

Because the alt left is not the same as being a liberal. I'm surprised you don't know this. 

33 minutes ago, zwarri0r said:

How does the alt left differ from just the left?

Activists

34 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Because the alt left is not the same as being a liberal. I'm surprised you don't know this. 

20 minutes ago, Vini said:

Activists

Neither of these actually answered the Q

8 minutes ago, zwarri0r said:

Neither of these actually answered the Q

Activism separates the alt left from the left