What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

I watched Hotel Artemis on cable tonight. Its okay, I didn't know that the movie was based on a near-future, sorta like a James Cameron movie from the 90's, where they predict that Los Angeles has turned into an out of control crime town, feels sorta like the Dredd movie in that there are ultra-powerful crime bosses.

The story feels somewhat underbaked, like they want to explain 3-4 different stories at the same time, but they don't flesh out any of them.

It feels like a story that would exist in the John Wick universe, but the world-building simply isn't as good. Its passable.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

^ Just dropped on Netflix :face: 

And let me tell you, it does not disappoint! Not even two minutes in and I was dying! :D 

I don't want to give away any premises but I'd give it a 10/10. One of my favourite comedians ever since I saw him live, way back in 2010.

Edited by Teh_Diplomat

I'm barely listening to his Monday Morning Podcast from early March (I'm way behind), and he had just finished recording it at Royal Albert Hall in London, so this thing was recorded 6 months ago, and he said he was really going to miss those jokes because he liked them.

I'll try to watch it over the weekend.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I'm barely listening to his Monday Morning Podcast from early March (I'm way behind), and he had just finished recording it at Royal Albert Hall in London, so this thing was recorded 6 months ago, and he said he was really going to miss those jokes because he liked them.

I'll try to watch it over the weekend.

Yeah well him and a bunch of other top tier comedians do what Louis CK pioneered, which is basically a new special every 12 or so months; and then they get rid of the material once the special airs. So that way if you were to see him on tour right now it would be entirely new material, and the time from when it was taped to when it airs they've done enough sets in LA or New York to build up another 60+ minutes of material.

Ok, elite starts off feeling like “another” teen soap opera, but man...it goes to some dark, sexual and surprising places. I can’t recommend this to all, but it’s significantly better than 13 reasons why or riverdale. 

Watched It chapter 2. It lacked any scares, but was worth watching for the performances - hader in particular. The cgi was somehow worse in this sequel, and the movie would have been better edited down to 2 hours (2 hours and 40 minutes, really?). Pennywise was better this time around. I wish they had cut back on the cgi and just let him do his thing. There’s a scene at a stadium that was excellent. It was super convincing. However, the movie opts for many cheap “scares”

worth a rental, at best. 

The Righteous Gemstones on HBO continues to deliver. John Goodman is so good. The writing is great. This definitely is Danny McBride’s strongest outing yet. 

Original song from last night’s episode was amazing. 

Edited by Ike