What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

The Mr. Robot series finale took a few days to process. I loved it, at first, but I had to make sure I’d feel the same way after 3 or 4 days. I can safely say I love it even more now, after discussing it with several friends. It’s so fucking fitting, despite wanting a different ending, initially (not to say I was disappointed, at first - far from it). What a great, mindfuck of a series, but one that actually made a lot of sense by the end. 

I finished The Witcher. I liked it a lot. it’s inconsistent, ranging from forgettable 90’s TV fantasy to something slicker, nearly hitting the AAA mark. Yennifer and Geralt truly make this first season. Both delivered on the acting front, and their chemistry felt rich and organic. I hope the viewer numbers are great for season 1, because there’s a great foundation here. Yes, limitations in the budget were apparent, and the writing is quite simple. However, as a fun, mindless fantasy series, there’s a lot to work with. The show will never be the next Game of Thrones, but that’s fine. The series has its own identity. Let’s hope season 2 builds on this mostly effective debut. 

score: 7.5/10

• Upvote 1

Just watched Uncut Gems. That shit gave me insane anxiety, numerous times. At face value, Sandler was great (based on his other performances). However, it’s the nuances (facial expressions/hand gestures) and restraint that made his character believable, worthy of Oscar buzz. Watching him juggle deals, dodge debt collectors and try to keep the heavily torn fabric of his family together was a masterful balancing act - especially when you know what’s at stake. He’s not a good guy. He’s consumed by his demons. But you root for him. Still, I think Pattinson was better (Just a perfect performance imo) in Good Time, but Uncut Gems was the better film, despite the polarizing ending. I loved the conclusion, by the way. Joker is still MY movie of 2019, but this is a better film. 

Score: 9/10

Edited by -GD-

I think this movie is easily going to win best editing, and best audio if that's a category.

The directors talents really shine in creating this suffocating environment.

I watched Good Time on DVD, I paid attention to the movie just fine, but this is different.

You feel "trapped" in the movie theater being subjected to these scene that naturally cause anxiety. Very rare for me to feel that when watching a movie.

The scope of this story is small, but you feel it overwhelming you.

Compare that to Joker, where the scope of the story is supposed to be this huge thing, encompassing a city.........but you don't feel that intensity as you feel it here.

Joker is a great actor holding a decent story together.

Uncut Gems is Adam Sandler acting pretty good but is surrounded by a breakneck story and intense atmosphere.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I think this movie is easily going to win best editing, and best audio if that's a category.

The directors talents really shine in creating this suffocating environment.

I watched Good Time on DVD, I paid attention to the movie just fine, but this is different.

You feel "trapped" in the movie theater being subjected to these scene that naturally cause anxiety. Very rare for me to feel that when watching a movie.

The scope of this story is small, but you feel it overwhelming you.

Compare that to Joker, where the scope of the story is supposed to be this huge thing, encompassing a city.........but you don't feel that intensity as you feel it here.

Joker is a great actor holding a decent story together.

Uncut Gems is Adam Sandler acting pretty good but is surrounded by a breakneck story and intense atmosphere.

Well put! +1

2 hours ago, -GD- said:

Uncut Gems was the better film, despite the polarizing ending.

Spoiler

I don't understand why anybody would think the movie could end any other way than it did. If he doesn't get shot he just goes on to make another bet or has some other scheme, loses, and it ruins everything. He doesn't know when to quit and it has to catch up with him eventually. Not seeing that in this movie and just having Howard nail a huge bet would suck.

I didn't feel anxious watching this in the way I did Good Time except for the second KG visit. The buzzer, the grinder, everybody yelling, I was just so fucking triggered by that scene. :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't understand why anybody would think the movie could end any other way than it did. If he doesn't get shot he just goes on to make another bet or has some other scheme, loses, and it ruins everything. He doesn't know when to quit and it has to catch up with him eventually. Not seeing that in this movie and just having Howard nail a huge bet would suck.

I didn't feel anxious watching this in the way I did Good Time except for the second KG visit. The buzzer, the grinder, everybody yelling, I was just so fucking triggered by that scene. :D

I couldn’t agree more, regarding the ending. 

I saw The Lighthouse the other day.  Interesting film.  It does a very good job of sucking you in and its impressive how much mileage they got out of two actors instead of a usual long cast.  With that said and maybe I wasn't paying attention but

Spoiler

was The Lighthouse supposed to be haunted / cursed?  Not really sure what the film was trying to tell you exactly.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Glad Uncut Gems is good, but anyone watch 1917? Im probably gonna go see it tomorrow

I’m going to watch it but it’s not out yet. Christmas Day was in limited cities. Wide release is January 10th

I'm feeling under the weather right now, and its only at two theaters in my area, so I'd like to go this weekend, but  chances are the good seats are already taken.  This is one of those movies in which I want to get a perfect spot to take it all in.

12 minutes ago, -GD- said:

Watched season 2 of You with my Italian girl. They did a good job shaking up the formula, and I dug the ending. Best show to Netflix and chill with. 

Im on ep 5, its pretty fun. I feel like the similarities to Dexter are more pronounced this season.

• Upvote 1