What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I just got back from seeing 1917

:omg::omg::omg::omg:

Goddamn

I know its only january but i dont see another movie topping this for me this year

The story is so simple but its masterfully paced and executed, combined with some of the best directing and cinematography i've seen yet. The one take aspect of it is so brilliant, and while there are tricks used to make it seem all continuous those transitions are seamless.

This movie is going to stick with me for a long time. 

And try to watch it in Dolby Cinema if you can, that elevates the experience even further.

So yeah this movie was incredible. Just got back. Def one of my favs ever. It’s pretty straightforward with some twists along the way, some of which surprised the hell out of me.

the no cut style works amazingly well here for the reason the director mentioned before hand, to make you feel more engaged with the 2 leads in their journey and full a sense of presence in the world, which imo they nailed.

And fuck, that scene with the flares was fucking incredible. 

33 minutes ago, Delita said:

So yeah this movie was incredible. Just got back. Def one of my favs ever. It’s pretty straightforward with some twists along the way, some of which surprised the hell out of me.

the no cut style works amazingly well here for the reason the director mentioned before hand, to make you feel more engaged with the 2 leads in their journey and full a sense of presence in the world, which imo they nailed.

And fuck, that scene with the flares was fucking incredible. 

Yeah, the fact that the camera is basically tethered to the 2 characters makes it feel very personal and grounded unlike a lot of movies of this type. The flare scene was definitely amazing, after thinking on it for a bit I can confidently say that this was the most technically impressive movie i've seen since watching Dunkirk in 75mm Imax.

Edited by Twinblade
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

I remember reading some stories about this about 15 years ago.

This documentary must be so juicy that HBO has to split it up into six parts.

lmfao

6 hours ago, jehurey said:

I remember reading some stories about this about 15 years ago.

This documentary must be so juicy that HBO has to split it up into six parts.

Looks awesome, uncle jerry :smoke:

Watched the new Aladdin since it popped up on Disney+. I really enjoyed it actually. It followed the general story of the original but it really felt like it’s own movie. Will Smith was a great version of genie. He never tried to outshine or outdo Robin Williams and made the character his own. Naomi Scott is fucking hot and was a good pick for Jasmine. The best actor of the bunch though was Aladdin. I thought they made the perfect casting choice for him. He was charismatic and funny and just a great actor for the role. I thought this was much better and more entertaining than The Lion King remake that also came out last year. 

8/10

Edited by Ike
26 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Watching the british crime drama Giri / Haji on Netflix. Came out of nowhere but its actually really interesting if the first 2 episodes are anything to go by

wow that looks cool

56 minutes ago, kaz said:

wow that looks cool

Its very unique. The story splits its time between London and Tokyo, with the culture and characters of both locations combining in interesting ways. Im only halfway through but I recommend it.

Edited by Twinblade
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Watching the british crime drama Giri / Haji on Netflix. Came out of nowhere but its actually really interesting if the first 2 episodes are anything to go by

Reminds me of that early 90's movie, Rising Sun, which did a pretty good job of not making the mistake of making the Japanese Triad culture look cheesy.

I like the idea of Japanese gangsters being around the world, lurking underneath every major city. 

And kelly MacDonald is always in good stuff.

Rising Sun is probably Sean Connery's most underrated movie, so fucking cool.

15 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its very unique. The story splits its time between London and Tokyo, with the culture and characters of both locations combining in interesting ways. Im only halfway through but I recommend it.

yeah, shows with different cultures is always interesting. I feel like nowadays it's on the rise to combine them and go "international" and most of the times it never hurt a plot but actually helped in making it believable.

also the language barrier is almost non-existent anymore and I love it. choosing a main language and have all the foreign languages translated with subtitles is just so convenient. 

you all talked about Dark and I always thought it's weird to me to see non-german speaker talking about it. :D 

DAMN, the 4th episode of this show is one of the best hours of TV i've seen. I don't want to go into any more detail but with this episode the show became a must watch IMO.

edit: if anyone needs more convincing, it currently has 100% on RT

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/giri_haji/s01

Edited by Twinblade

Let me be honest about 1917.

Its story is too narrow for it to be considered on the same level as Saving Private Ryan. And I think the movie wastes some time in certain scenes that its dragging out a little too long.

And I think the film loses some of its steam after

Spoiler

one of the guys dies

The first 45 minutes felt more tense, and then afterwards it kind of felt like it was turning into a hazy series of sequences. I felt like there was more "oh shit, don't do that!!" moments in the first half of the movie.

I don't think the entire movie needed to be filmed in this particular manner. I would've been perfectly fine if the "downtime" scenes abandoned the single-shot format, and they were filmed normally and done a smoother transition to the next major sequence.

I don't think any of these major single-shot sequences are better than that climatic single-shot sequence in Children of Men. The night-time sequence with the flares looked super cool, but ultimately he ran through most of that. I felt like that should've been a cool game of hiding in the ever-shifting shadows as there are tons of enemies around him.

There should've been more to this movie. However, I will say that the main guy acted his ass off, with his physical acting.

It reminds me of Gravity, where there are great, memorable sequences, but the whole movie feels lesser than the sum of its parts.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, jehurey said:

Let me be honest about 1917.

Its story is too narrow for it to be considered on the same level as Saving Private Ryan. And I think the movie wastes some time in certain scenes that its dragging out a little too long.

And I think the film loses some of its steam after

Reveal hidden contents

one of the guys dies

The first 45 minutes felt more tense, and then afterwards it kind of felt like it was turning into a hazy series of sequences. I felt like there was more "oh shit, don't do that!!" moments in the first half of the movie.

I don't think the entire movie needed to be filmed in this particular manner. I would've been perfectly fine if the "downtime" scenes abandoned the single-shot format, and they were filmed normally and done a smoother transition to the next major sequence.

I don't think any of these major single-shot sequences are better than that climatic single-shot sequence in Children of Men. The night-time sequence with the flares looked super cool, but ultimately he ran through most of that. I felt like that should've been a cool game of hiding in the ever-shifting shadows as there are tons of enemies around him.

There should've been more to this movie. However, I will say that the main guy acted his ass off, with his physical acting.

It reminds me of Gravity, where there are great, memorable sequences, but the whole movie feels lesser than the sum of its parts.

I hated gravity, and I had a feeling this would be gravity with war. I’m not really into war movies, so I wasn’t going to see it. 

there are people out there saying gravity is a good movie lmfao. glad people hate on it cause its garbo.  it really has only one good scene and after that it's basically narcissism without a story.

bonus: I hate her. (except a few performances)

Edited by kaz