What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

5 hours ago, jehurey said:

Let me be honest about 1917.

Its story is too narrow for it to be considered on the same level as Saving Private Ryan. And I think the movie wastes some time in certain scenes that its dragging out a little too long.

And I think the film loses some of its steam after

Reveal hidden contents

one of the guys dies

The first 45 minutes felt more tense, and then afterwards it kind of felt like it was turning into a hazy series of sequences. I felt like there was more "oh shit, don't do that!!" moments in the first half of the movie.

I don't think the entire movie needed to be filmed in this particular manner. I would've been perfectly fine if the "downtime" scenes abandoned the single-shot format, and they were filmed normally and done a smoother transition to the next major sequence.

I don't think any of these major single-shot sequences are better than that climatic single-shot sequence in Children of Men. The night-time sequence with the flares looked super cool, but ultimately he ran through most of that. I felt like that should've been a cool game of hiding in the ever-shifting shadows as there are tons of enemies around him.

There should've been more to this movie. However, I will say that the main guy acted his ass off, with his physical acting.

It reminds me of Gravity, where there are great, memorable sequences, but the whole movie feels lesser than the sum of its parts.

I think there are more spoilers in there, i know what i'm looking out for when it's night. Thank you bro.....

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

7 hours ago, jehurey said:

Let me be honest about 1917.

Its story is too narrow for it to be considered on the same level as Saving Private Ryan. And I think the movie wastes some time in certain scenes that its dragging out a little too long.

And I think the film loses some of its steam after

Reveal hidden contents

one of the guys dies

The first 45 minutes felt more tense, and then afterwards it kind of felt like it was turning into a hazy series of sequences. I felt like there was more "oh shit, don't do that!!" moments in the first half of the movie.

I don't think the entire movie needed to be filmed in this particular manner. I would've been perfectly fine if the "downtime" scenes abandoned the single-shot format, and they were filmed normally and done a smoother transition to the next major sequence.

I don't think any of these major single-shot sequences are better than that climatic single-shot sequence in Children of Men. The night-time sequence with the flares looked super cool, but ultimately he ran through most of that. I felt like that should've been a cool game of hiding in the ever-shifting shadows as there are tons of enemies around him.

There should've been more to this movie. However, I will say that the main guy acted his ass off, with his physical acting.

It reminds me of Gravity, where there are great, memorable sequences, but the whole movie feels lesser than the sum of its parts.

I can't say I agree. You start off by comparing it to Saving Private Ryan when they have almost nothing in common besides the war theme. 1917 is much more intimately put together, and focused more on the individual characters and the setting itself. Theres barely any action compared to the typical war movie, but thats the point. It focuses on the sometimes mundane actions of huddling in a trench or slowly crossing no man's land while the thought of imminent death is constantly lurking in the background. Thats where it gets its intensity from, not giant explosions and firefights. Some people may not like that style and I can definitely see the movie being polarizing for those reasons, but I found that level of authenticity to be very effective.  The directing and visual storytelling of each locale kept me engaged even when on the surface it seemed like there was nothing of value happening.

Edited by Twinblade
2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Just finished Giri Haji. Best British crime show ever. Makes shows like Luther, Broadchurch, Sherlock, Peaky Blinders (all of which I enjoyed) seem like they were put together by amateurs.

Damn! Will watch once I finish AI 

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Just finished Giri Haji. Best British crime show ever. Makes shows like Luther, Broadchurch, Sherlock, Peaky Blinders (all of which I enjoyed) seem like they were put together by amateurs.

That's one hell of a call man. Luther, Sherlock and Peaky up there with my fav shows ever. 

I've seen 1917 :ben: So that's what Kaz looks like :santaben: I dunno if I can trust a German. They might stab me if I help them :beckham: Best not let Kaz into Canada

Spoiler

Looked like he didn't make it in time to send the message. Some of the forces were already sent to their deaths. Cool seeing Benedict Cumberbatch as the General he was supposed to give the letter to.

テラスハウスを見つづけました。

冷静すぎな感情は溢れれるんですけど、安定感度が妙に(身体を)通ってしまうね

つまんないけど、つまんないっては言わない、ってか(笑)

Edited by kokujin
  • NPC 1
15 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

oo a new radiohead song

I don't know what to think about Radiohead today. They seem to be plateau'ing, or treading over the same ground.

This sounds like something that would've came from Amnesiac, which means that IMO its automatically a better song than anything from their last album.

But if this were to be the lead single for their next album (i.e. this song is supposed a highlight of the next album) then its sorta meh.

Some Radiohead fans would probably absolute over the moon happy if they just keep on churning out similar music from the early 2000's era. I guess I'd be satisfied enough with that.

50 minutes ago, -GD- said:

I’ve been rewatching Seinfeld. It’s still funny af. Curb is better, but it’s great seeing its origin. 

The Limo

The Contest

The Marine Biologist

The Bizzaro Jerry

The Comeback

So many good episodes and such a great show. 

• Like 1

I finished up Kill La Kill and it was such a great show. It’s hard to recommend to anyone who’s new to anime since it is quite fan service-y and sexual but the action is top notch. 

I also watched the movie I Lost My Body on Netflix. Animation was amazing and it was a great story although a little cliche at times but also still unique and weird in great ways. I’m happy it got a Best Animated Feature nom. 

On my watch list next is the anime Fate/Zero and HBO’s The Outsider. 

8 hours ago, -GD- said:

I’ve been rewatching Seinfeld. It’s still funny af. Curb is better, but it’s great seeing its origin. 

NEW SEASON STARTS IN A FEW DAYS!!!

and yeah Seinfeld is timeless but Curb definitely escalates it to a level I find even funnier. But they are the best and second best comedies of all time imo.

• Like 1

Fucking streaming apps, its started to get crazy.

It almost makes you wish why they can't use HD signals to have multiple channels of NBC, multiple channels of ABC/CBS/etc.

Peacock is NBC's streaming service, and they just announced a muthafuckin' MacGruber television series.

Goddammit.

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

Mindhunter actors released from contracts. What the fuck, Netflix. ;(

It was David Fincher who wants to move on and felt it wouldn’t be fair to keep them under contract. 

1 hour ago, -GD- said:

I really enjoyed bad boys 3. Good dumb fun. 

Reviews have been coming out pretty positive on the film.

There is this newfound appreciation for Bad Boys 2, and how its action scenes have aged really well, even thought its a movie from 2003.

The jump in "visuals" from Bad Boys 1 to Bad Boys 2 is quite significant.