What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

finally saw 1917 and liked it. but it is sorta like gravity and the revenant where its all about the audio-visual spectacle. like those films ill probably never re-watch it on a non-theatre screen. and generally it was not as inspired, memorable, or visually spectacular as the best moments in those films.

having said that, its the best 2019 movie i saw. second best war film of recent times for me behind overlord.

30 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

finally saw 1917 and liked it. but it is sorta like gravity and the revenant where its all about the audio-visual spectacle. like those films ill probably never re-watch it on a non-theatre screen. and generally it was not as inspired, memorable, or visually spectacular as the best moments in those films.

having said that, its the best 2019 movie i saw. second best war film of recent times for me behind overlord.

Out of those three movies, I think the Revenant has the most amount of story and exposition in order to avoid it from FEELING hollow.

Yes, its primarily about the audio/visual experience, like someone flexing their pure filmmaking muscles, but the Revenant feels more fleshed out because they don't keep the camera 100% on the main character the entire time. They transition to other areas, with other characters talking.

Now if we compare any of those three movies against, say, Children of Men.........Children of Men is much more fleshed out in a satisfying way.

9 hours ago, jehurey said:

Out of those three movies, I think the Revenant has the most amount of story and exposition in order to avoid it from FEELING hollow.

Yes, its primarily about the audio/visual experience, like someone flexing their pure filmmaking muscles, but the Revenant feels more fleshed out because they don't keep the camera 100% on the main character the entire time. They transition to other areas, with other characters talking.

Now if we compare any of those three movies against, say, Children of Men.........Children of Men is much more fleshed out in a satisfying way.

children of men is in a whole other league

11 hours ago, Quad Damage said:

I agree to a certain degree. My memory of revnant and gravity is kinda hazy now but what I thought 1917 did much better than either of those films is make me care about the main leads. I remember not caring about Bullock or Clooney. and I thought Leo and hardy were decent. I mean Leo is Leo. He’s never bad, he’s always bankable in any role in a movie, but he’s always just decent-good for the most part. While in 1942 I thought both characters did a superb acting job in giving the film an emotional weight that can carry a movie with a thin plot and light dialogue more so than the other 2 did.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Delita said:

I agree to a certain degree. My memory of revnant and gravity is kinda hazy now but what I thought 1917 did much better than either of those films is make me care about the main leads. I remember not caring about Bullock or Clooney. and I thought Leo and hardy were decent. I mean Leo is Leo. He’s never bad, he’s always bankable in any role in a movie, but he’s always just decent-good for the most part. While in 1942 I thought both characters did a superb acting job in giving the film an emotional weight that can carry a movie with a thin plot and light dialogue more so than the other 2 did.

i thought tom hardy turned in the best performance of those films.

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Enjoyed it (for as long as it is) but kindof got the feeling whilst watching most of it that maybe Tarantino is getting a bit soft but the ending changed all that.  I saw Crawl too which was also good.  With the right direction and without things like unnecessary subplots, disaster films can still work IMO.

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

https://buy.fanflix.co/c/1ffcvzzljmr4q-lionsgate-vip-3-for-5#/movie

3 for $5 redeemable on iTunes, Vudu, Google Play, or Fandango. Selection isn't great, but it's worth it just for Dragged Across Concrete (director of Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99).

Figured I'd share.

HOLY SHIT......dragged across concrete.

That movie really is something. It tests your patience quite a bit, but man it gets fucking real at the end.

I just watched the 2018 belgian/french movie Kursk. Its about the Russian submarine disaster and how botched the whole rescue attempt was. Interesting part is that I came across a video of a wife of one of the sailors who died flipping out at officials from the Russian Navy. The crazy thing here is that they thought she was out of control enough that it would be a good idea to just freakin inject her with a sedative against her will and then carry her out of the room on a stretcher :|

Edited by Twinblade

Clearing out my DVR, so I finally sat down and watched Gattaca. I have never watched a second of that movie. From the very beginning, it was always praised, and I just never saw it. And as the years passed by I was worried that the movie would probably feel dated if I did finally see it, or if new sci-fi movies would go on to re-tell its story, but in a better way.

And that's not the case at all.

That is just good ole-fashioned compelling Sci-Fi. This is like one of Phillip K. Dick's better stories, except this isn't a Phillip K. Dick written story. Its damn good.

Here's the problem. Its so good, that there's two scenes that are not the level of the rest of the movie, that they stick out pretty glaringly when I was watching it. This movie is probably a Top5 Best Sci-Fi movie of the 90's.

Had they fixed those two scenes, or maybe flesh them out more so that it appears to be more logical in the way they transpired, this movie would easily become a Top 3 Best Sci-Fi movie of the 90's.

Even though its a 23 year old movie. I'm putting spoilers because anybody who hasn't watched this movie should definitely sit down and watch it with no knowledge

Spoiler

The scene where Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman go out to dinner (their second date) where they are dancing and getting ready to kiss. Cops just bust in and say they're going to check everyone's DNA.  And we assume that all of these people are upper-class Gattaca members, or at least upper class people. And for some reason EVERYBODY just busts out running away????? That makes no sense.

It quickly transitions to Ethan Hawke running out and punching a cop so that they can run down an alley and hide. And the cops don't really make an effort to go after them. That's just a couple of really bad scene transitions that are contrived, and they only happen because the story requires it to happen.

Secondly, head detective is Ethan Hawke's brother? I'd have to re-watch the movie to see if they placed sufficient clues or hints to set up that twist. But that feels like a twist that came out of nowhere and its a twist for the sake of a twist. Its required so that they have one more swimming contest, which is a cool scene. But I don't think its a well-earned twist.

Those are literally the only two gripes I have in this near-flawless movie.

I'm glad I sat down and watched it. They filmed it in such a way that makes it timeless. The locations they used, they combined classic cars and clothing, but the cars sounded like they were electric motors, the clothing was cool yet a classic look. Apparently this movie was filmed with a low budget, but it looks fantastic.

And the amazing is that it doesn't resort to tropes. Jude Law is in this movie, and from the trailers and commercials, and the type of character that Jude Law played at the time, you would think that Jude Law would end up playing a certain type of guy in this movie. But they surprise you.

There's no shootouts. There's very little acts of violence that occur in this movie. Yet its always quite tense and thrilling. The Matrix, as amazing as that movie was for its time, resorts to shootouts and kung-fu for them to resolve their conflicts.

Gattaca is a legit 9.5/10 sci-fi movie.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Ike said:

Gattaca is a sci-fi masterpiece. Easily one of the my favorites ever in the genre. 

It's the best movie ever. My absolute number 1.

• Upvote 1