What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

2 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Man, I spent my Saturday binging the first 7 episodes knowing nothing about it and just seeing that it was #1 on Netflix. Didn't even know it was a series until the end of the first episode and was expecting just a murder game show movie; wasn't prepared for these feels. :ben:

Yeah, 6 in particular was full of feels.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

^ I will never understand why these adaptions are green lit. Feels unnecessary. Live action is the recipe for disaster :D 

The only ever adaption I thought was actually good was the first Silent Hill movie. But to be honest I could easily live without it

Finished Ep4 of Midnight Mass......what happened? First 2 eps were godly but 3 and 4 were disappointing. Not a huge fan of the angle they are taking and there seems to be a deviation from what made Hill House and Bly Manor great imo. Still very much curious to see where they go from here but it is being handled very differently from his past work. 

• Sad 1
32 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Finished Ep4 of Midnight Mass......what happened? First 2 eps were godly but 3 and 4 were disappointing. Not a huge fan of the angle they are taking and there seems to be a deviation from what made Hill House and Bly Manor great imo. Still very much curious to see where they go from here but it is being handled very differently from his past work. 

Exactly. There are still some excellent performances and cool scenes coming up. I dig all of the symbolism, as well. However, I felt so disappointed by it, as a whole. 

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

Exactly. There are still some excellent performances and cool scenes coming up. I dig all of the symbolism, as well. However, I felt so disappointed by it, as a whole. 

Spoiler

Loved the first 2 eps, especially how genuine and grounded it felt and the usual slow burn of tension that Mike Flanhagan shows usually have. But then ep3 just has an absolutely ridiculous reveal imo. As someone with a deep Catholic background I was hoping for an actual religious horror show, the symbolism and how accurate some of the religious elements were early was impressive but it just shit the bed in ep3 and 4. Could've been so much more subtle for longer imo and a less outrageous reveal which has ruined a lot of the tension and horror elements.

I think my biggest disappointment is that Flanhagan's usual shows excel because the characters and their arcs intertwine so brilliantly with the plot and horror/mystery. Hill House did that to an immense level and even Bly Manor with it's love story. The characters here are still by far the best element of Midnight Mass but now the horror and mystery just feels like a general 'monster' horror show. 

Anyways, still keen to continue and hopefully picks up again in it's final act but so far it is by far the weakest of the 3. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, madmaltese said:
  Hide contents

Loved the first 2 eps, especially how genuine and grounded it felt and the usual slow burn of tension that Mike Flanhagan shows usually have. But then ep3 just has an absolutely ridiculous reveal imo. As someone with a deep Catholic background I was hoping for an actual religious horror show, the symbolism and how accurate some of the religious elements were early was impressive but it just shit the bed in ep3 and 4. Could've been so much more subtle for longer imo and a less outrageous reveal which has ruined a lot of the tension and horror elements.

I think my biggest disappointment is that Flanhagan's usual shows excel because the characters and their arcs intertwine so brilliantly with the plot and horror/mystery. Hill House did that to an immense level and even Bly Manor with it's love story. The characters here are still by far the best element of Midnight Mass but now the horror and mystery just feels like a general 'monster' horror show. 

Anyways, still keen to continue and hopefully picks up again in it's final act but so far it is by far the weakest of the 3. 

I couldn’t agree more!! 

Spoiler

The other 3 episodes are definitely better, but I still felt disappointed. 

• Like 1

I actually kinda liked Midnight Mass. Not great, but good IMO.

Spoiler

I liked the idea of a priest being so god damn deluded he thought a fucking vampire was a got' damn angel lmao.

But I have not watched Hill House or Bly Manor. Damn my backlog just got bigger I guess.

Edited by Substatic

Finished Midnight Mass. Was not a fan overall, especially compared to Hill House and Bly Manor. It still has the great cinematography, amazing imagery and good performances but it does so much things wrong in it's execution imo. Really really wanted to like it a lot more. Episode 5 was a step up from 3 and 4, especially the ending (The only arc in this show that felt like a Mike Flanhagan arc) but then the final third was just too much (outside some highlights and visually amazing scenes). 

I also think while the characters were good, they were also the least complex and interesting compared to his previous shows. This most definitely ain't the character stories intertwined in the plot that Hill House and Bly Manor are. The show is also extremely heavy handed in nearly everything it does. One other gripe is also something I usually I enjoy in his shows; the long character monologues, but in this, as the show went on they got so bad imo. There is one in the finale which I was literally just wanting them to stfu lol Maybe cause the moment just wasn't hitting with me. 

More specific spoilers:

Spoiler

- The Riley story was the clear highlight of the show. His dream and journey and the hints it provides early to the viewer and it's superb finale in serving a perfect end to that character and serving as a major point in the plot is exactly why I like Mike Flanhagan's work. This was the only instance of this in the whole show and unfortunately i felt the show lost a lot after that character died.

-Carrying on from that idea, my biggest disappointment is how that technique wasn't as prominent else where, particularly with the Priest. The Priest was by far the most interesting character of the show and had a satisfying story with good motivation, but it was basically treated as a side plot by the time it came to delve into it. Amidst all the blood, chaos, and Bev becoming the centre 'villain', that conversation with his 'love' and about their daughter felt rushed and irrelevant and the moment with his daughter felt completely wasted. I mean this was the whole reason he came back, the whole reason any of this was happening; so that he would have a second chance to have a family and in a show that is all about characters spilling their life in long eloquently worded monologues, the one that was at the very core of the story was just totally wasted imo. 

- The reveal of the 'angel' (vampire) happened wayyyyy to fucking early. Any and all horror died that moment in Ep3. What makes it even more frustrating is just how epic a reveal it would've been if the actual full visual reveal happened when the 'angel' entered the midnight mass. That scene was visually amazing. 

- Can someone at least say the fucking word 'vampire' once in the damn show :biggrin: I mean come on. The angle of certain ppl with deep faith wanting to believe and being deluded enough to think a vampire is an angel doesn't hold much weight when absolutely NO ONE in the show says the damn word lol.

- So many plot holes and leaps and dumb character choices. The whole final third felt so 'written'.

So I sound overally harsh but I still give it a 6/10,I just had big expectations. With all that said, still a big fan of MF and will yet again be all in on whatever he does next. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

I'm going to skip midnight mass but really enjoyed Squid Game. It's way better than Alice in Borderland, which I enjoyed. Doom Patrol is back and dropped 3 eps at once. 

Been looking for a good Anime to watch. 

Yeah, I loved squid game way more. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

I'm going to skip midnight mass but really enjoyed Squid Game. It's way better than Alice in Borderland, which I enjoyed. Doom Patrol is back and dropped 3 eps at once. 

Been looking for a good Anime to watch. 

Check out Odd Taxi for a good anime or the first season only of The Promised Neverland. 

On 2021-09-20 at 12:27 PM, Mr. Impossible said:

Was editing some Spotify playist(s?) and found some Max Payne 3 songs on one. I forgot how hard this soundtrack hits. 

I had just read an article about Health being this surprise band that came up during the 2010's. Apparently there was this "nloise rock" scene going on in LA right around the end of the 2000's, and they were just a garage band.

And then by 2012 they were already scoring the soundtrack to Max Payne 3. They were also touring with NIN at the time, and originally they were getting booed as an opening act until Trent Reznor allowed them to use his lighting-rig system to play their music along with.

Then they collaborated with Trent Reznor for s new single that came out a few months ago.

They seem like shitheads, but the single with Trent Reznor at least sounds somewhat close to the music Reznor used to make.