What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

I just came back from seeing The Last Duel.

Holy shit, are people aware of this movie?  This movie is really surprising.

After having seen Bond recently, and Marvel movies like Black Widow and Shang Chi, I was genuinely shocked how this movie LOOKS like a typical hollywood movie, but its not a dumb movie.

I can understand the Marvel movies being simple, straightforward, and relatively dumb. But this movie made me realize just how DUMB, TRULY DUMB the Bond movie was, and that's supposed to be an old man's action movie.

This movie is fucking excellent.  There are no action scenes throughout most of the movie, unless there's a reason for the STORY. Like the James Bond movie looks like they designed it around what action scenes to make, this is designed over how to reveal the story, at all times.

It clearly takes its inspiration from Rashomon, and its got a little bit of 90's Quentin Tarantino re-telling events from different angles.

But also, they really do seem to strive to show you the class-system, the Feudal system and how it works. How the Church affects the whole legal system, during that time.

And the characters are all very different from one another. And I won't spoil it, because part of the fun is figuring out how each character views themselves, but how they are viewed by others. That is part of how the whole truth is revealed.

Halfway through the movie, I was thinking to myself "is this based off of some classic Shakespearean play, because this is a well-structured story." If they had pretty'd up the language to be more fanciful like Shakespeare, this could absolutely be on the level of Hamlet or MacBeth.

And after 2hr 15min of making you sit and pay attention to all the details of this story, they reward you with this AB-SO-LUTE BRUTAL badass action sequence that is better, and more gruesome than any close one-on-one action sequence from Gladiator.

And there's a layer of subtext that becomes plainly visible in the final sequence. So even then the final action sequence is not just about enjoying the action, there's another layer in which to appreciate it.

Ben Affleck and Matt Damon helped write the screenplay. Kudos for Ridley Scott and Affleck and Damon for not dumbing down this movie. In fact, I would say that they probably needed an additional 10-20 minutes more to explain the Feudal system and the Church legal system a bit more, and they had to rush through some of that stuff pretty quickly near the end, all of a sudden people show up out of nowhere and they have to spit out "the rules" of all of this stuff very quickly, and it doesn't flow very well compared to the rest of the movie.

This is actually a real "grown up" movie. You really begin to realize that you may have seen other movies that have grown up "content" in the movie, but the way they tell you the story is just dumb and blunt.

This feels like a classic BBC-funded movie that is smart and informative, but filmed like an American hollywood movie. Highly recommended.

Edited by jehurey
  • Upvote 1

Watched Dune last night. It's good, but I'll make the unpopular opinion that Dune needs too either be an extended series, or dumbed down to Marvel level or something to work as a movie. Like everything is fucking rad about Dune but like they have to drop so much exposition and internal dialog to just barely keep the audience aware of what's going. It's some how both too long and too short even for a part 1. 

I hope they already have the second one in the can because I'm not sure with a split release this would make enough money to encourage WB to make another one, and this movie was designed to be the first part of a series. 

The cinematography and direction are already going to be a 10/10 with the greatest modern sci-fi director behind the camera. :wow2:

I’d love to go see it on imax and I still might, but I’ll be watching it tomorrow on hbo max. Thankfully they’ve been doing 4K for all their big releases too which is nice. Can’t wait. :glad: 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ike said:

The cinematography and direction are already going to be a 10/10 with the greatest modern sci-fi director behind the camera. :wow2:

I’d love to go see it on imax and I still might, but I’ll be watching it tomorrow on hbo max. Thankfully they’ve been doing 4K for all their big releases too which is nice. Can’t wait. :glad: 

Yeah, I’ll be watching this on my 4K tv. 

On 2021-10-22 at 12:22 AM, Ike said:

Dune was such a visual treat. One of the most gorgeously filmed movies since 2049 and with some excellent world building and immersion. Loved every second of it. :wow2:

The pacing was a bit off but it was a good time. I'm hoping they make a part 2, but it's a film that ask a lot of the audience. Dune is a project that needs alot of money and time, but it's not rewarding in the way that big blockbuster movies are designed. I still think BR2049 was a better movie and it completely tanked. 

52 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Eps 3-5 on Love S3 were a bit average imo. But then it picked up again with ep 6. Eager to see the final third of the season.

Watched Nobody - Decent enough John Wick esque clone that's carried by Bob Odenkirk. 6.5/10

Loves Nobody. Saul meets John Wick! As for You, eps 8-10 are its peak 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

The pacing was a bit off but it was a good time. I'm hoping they make a part 2, but it's a film that ask a lot of the audience. Dune is a project that needs alot of money and time, but it's not rewarding in the way that big blockbuster movies are designed. I still think BR2049 was a better movie and it completely tanked. 

blade runner made 260 million bucks.. 110 million over budget. Thats hardly a tank.  unless they spent 100 million on advertising, who knows. 

Edited by Cooke

Dune was very good.  For me, its just the right amount of hard sci-fi without going super hardcore.

That story has got a little bit of everything in it. The "Houses" reminds me of some Game of Thrones stuff, and even a little bit of The Godfather and the dynamics between "families." In many ways, the power structure seems right in-line with the Feudal System that I just saw with the Last Duel. There's an Emperor, he's given territories to the leaders of "houses" and those leaders are like Lords, and they have a right-hand man for security and their army. And they are given land, and they could end up fighting over territories. There's Kings, and Lords, and Knights, and even Witches in a way.

Its got some standard sci-fi stuff regarding vastly different planets, cool vehicles.

And its also got some Avatar/Dances with Wolves dynamic with the locals who live on Arrakis.

Never watched the David Lynch version nor read the book, but I had seen and read enough about the first movie to know about Spice and the Blue Eyes, and how its a rather interesting drug.

I think they rushed a bit in the beginning with explaining the political dynamics of the houses, and why somebody would scheme against another. But other than that, I think the movie had alot of variety in the types of scenes.

Oh man, in IMAX every outdoor scene was in IMAX ratio, and those desert scenes near the end of the movie, it looked absolutely pristine in the daylight. i'll watch it again on HBOmax with the subtitles on just to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

I’ve been watching TNT’s Animal Kingdom (on Amazon Prime). It’s kind of like Point Break meets Sons of Anarchy. It’s not a good show, but it’s a guilty pleasure. Hot women, sex, drugs, guns, robbery, lies…and family drama lol. 

On 2021-10-20 at 9:41 PM, Mr. Impossible said:

Watched Dune last night. It's good, but I'll make the unpopular opinion that Dune needs too either be an extended series, or dumbed down to Marvel level or something to work as a movie. Like everything is fucking rad about Dune but like they have to drop so much exposition and internal dialog to just barely keep the audience aware of what's going. It's some how both too long and too short even for a part 1. 

I hope they already have the second one in the can because I'm not sure with a split release this would make enough money to encourage WB to make another one, and this movie was designed to be the first part of a series. 

An extended series as in a few TV show episodes is not an unpopular opinion at all.