What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

17 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Here’s my 4 ep impression:

”i think the minimalist, yet chilling, sound design is what has me on edge with archive 81. the filming/editing is pretty amazing too. it's definitely a hybrid of kubrick and lynch. the shots linger, letting the drones and swells work their magic to create true tension. there have only been a few jump scares. the show is all about its eerie atmosphere and trippy, puzzling mystery. even if the payoff ends up not being worth it, i'm fucking enjoying the ride!”

In terms of tone and cinematography and intrigue it reminds me of Homecoming 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

I finished Archive81. That was a crazy  ride! The pros definitely outweigh the cons, but some of the issues were pretty jarring. The CGI, while used very sparingly, was awful lol. However, the sound design was incredible! It made most scenes feel tense and unsettling. I dug the story a lot, but it’s not perfect and the ending gave me twilight zone vibes. It’s love/hate for sure. While the series doesn’t add anything new to the horror genre, it was an ambitious mashup of sub genres that mostly went well together. I recommend it.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, -GD-X said:

I finished Archive81. That was a crazy  ride! The pros definitely outweigh the cons, but some of the issues were pretty jarring. The CGI, while used very sparingly, was awful lol. However, the sound design was incredible! It made most scenes feel tense and unsettling. I dug the story a lot, but it’s not perfect and the ending gave me twilight zone vibes. It’s love/hate for sure. While the series doesn’t add anything new to the horror genre, it was an ambitious mashup of sub genres that mostly went well together. I recommend it.

I’ve only seen the first episode but it’s very intriguing so far. The transitions between the different PoVs are also pretty smooth and well done.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I’ve only seen the first episode but it’s very intriguing so far. The transitions between the different PoVs are also pretty smooth and well done.

Yeah, editing-wise, eps 1,2,7,8 are the best, since they are done by the same director. 

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

God damn, that Yellowjackets finale owned!

it was good but

Spoiler

The cannabilism tease at the beginning of the season felt like such a cheap red herring considering that the show never gets to that point despite them clearly building up to it.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

it was good but

Hide contents

The cannabilism tease at the beginning of the season felt like such a cheap red herring considering that the show never gets to that point despite them clearly building up to it.

Spoiler

There will be 5 seasons. I knew they wouldn’t blow their load. Regardless, the rest was great! 

56 minutes ago, -GD-X said:
  Reveal hidden contents

There will be 5 seasons. I knew they wouldn’t blow their load. Regardless, the rest was great! 

Thats pretty crazy of them to have 5 seasons planned at this point, especially when so many shows are being cancelled or ending prematurely. Hopefully its a financial success if they really are thinking that far ahead already.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Thats pretty crazy of them to have 5 seasons planned at this point, especially when so many shows are being cancelled or ending prematurely. Hopefully its a financial success if they really are thinking that far ahead already.

Yeah, I think that was the agreement they made. 

https://screenrant.com/yellowjackets-seasons-how-many-jasmin-savoy-brown-response/amp/

• Upvote 1

Peacemaker is pretty alright. It picks up right where Suicide Squad 2 left off. The show doesn't take itself seriously at all but Cena does a good job of playing it corny but sort of sincere. 

They dropped 3 eps at once so you can get a feel for it. James Gunns girlfriend is fucking hot af too. 

6 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Spoiler

I would have preferred if they just fleshed out the ending and made it a 1 season show (unless they came back with a new story). The mystery surrounding everything and the subtle supernatural elements were the best part, if season 2 is just them trying to explain everything while having people jumping back and forth between each world and shit then its going to lose a lot of its appeal for me.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Hide contents

I would have preferred if they just fleshed out the ending and made it a 1 season show (unless they came back with a new story). The mystery surrounding everything and the subtle supernatural elements were the best part, if season 2 is just them trying to explain everything while having people jumping back and forth between each world and shit then its going to lose a lot of its appeal for me.

That’s fair. 

Since Matrix Revolutions is going to go off HBOmax tomorrow (21st) I decided to sit down and watch it a second time.

And, ultimately, it feels more like a Neo & Trinity love story than its supposed to feel like a Matrix story. But it jumps between being one thing or another, and I think it hurts the focus.

In fact this story feels like it could've been really similar to plot of Vanilla Sky/Open Your Eyes if they removed scenes from the newer people and the human city.  The ending is very similar.