What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

16 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Finished Reacher. It was exactly what I hoped it would be - a fun, violent action thriller that’s over-the-top, but it works. I liked the main characters a lot. 

The blonde chick needs to get more roles. I've only seen her in the Scream show and now Reacher but she was really good in both. Plus she's adorable :dreamy:

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Twinblade said:

The blonde chick needs to get more roles. I've only seen her in the Scream show and now Reacher but she was really good in both. Plus she's adorable :dreamy:

Yeah, she’s cute! 

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its good stuff, in many ways its basically a more action packed Homeland but with a male lead.

Yes! That’s exactly what I was thinking!

• Like 1

Just came back from watching Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.

That movie is going to win awards.

And anybody who complains that there's nothing original at the theaters these days.......you're the ones at fault by not going to see this.

This movie is excellent.

It has an excellent (enough) sci-fi premise. Its pretty out there, like something you would read in a comic book. Its not the hardest hardcore sci-fi, but its a bit to take in. And they do a pretty good job explaining to you while still keeping the story going.

And the comparisons here would be the first Matrix and Inception. Except, there is no such scene in which they spend 10 minutes having Morpheus explain to Neo in a white room how everything works, and why it is the way it is. They have to explain it while a whole bunch of shit is going on.

Secondly, they do funny shit. Like really funny shit. But they don't overdo it or allow it to derail the movie.

And then it accomplishes something that the Matrix and Inception fail at. Its a movie where they say "you can have these special powers and do anything you want", but its end up being gunfights and kung-fu between the good guy and the bad guys.

In this movie, once the good guy has achieved their full power, they combat the bad guys WITH THAT POWER.

And lastly, this is a movie about existentialism. I really can't think of a good movie to compare it to, except maybe some of the concepts from Terrance Malick movies (but MUCH MUCH more simplified and easy to swallow).  But it wraps that concept around simply family drama that's easy to follow.

I was going to say that the guy who was Short Round from Temple of Doom absolutely stole the entire movie with his performance. He acted his balls off.

But near the end, the other two members of the family had some fantastic scenes. They all did a fantastic job. This is a tight movie, all around.

Edited by jehurey
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, jehurey said:

Just came back from watching Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.

That movie is going to win awards.

And anybody who complains that there's nothing original at the theaters these days.......you're the ones at fault by not going to see this.

This movie is excellent.

It has an excellent (enough) sci-fi premise. Its pretty out there, like something you would read in a comic book. Its not the hardest hardcore sci-fi, but its a bit to take in. And they do a pretty good job explaining to you while still keeping the story going.

And the comparisons here would be the first Matrix and Inception. Except, there is no such scene in which they spend 10 minutes having Morpheus explain to Neo in a white room how everything works, and why it is the way it is. They have to explain it while a whole bunch of shit is going on.

Secondly, they do funny shit. Like really funny shit. But they don't overdo it or allow it to derail the movie.

And then it accomplishes something that the Matrix and Inception fail at. Its a movie where they say "you can have these special powers and do anything you want", but its end up being gunfights and kung-fu between the good guy and the bad guys.

In this movie, once the good guy has achieved their full power, they combat the bad guys WITH THAT POWER.

And lastly, this is a movie about existentialism. I really can't think of a good movie to compare it to, except maybe some of the concepts from Terrance Malick movies (but MUCH MUCH more simplified and easy to swallow).  But it wraps that concept around simply family drama that's easy to follow.

I was going to say that the guy who was Short Round from Temple of Doom absolutely stole the entire movie with his performance. He acted his balls off.

But near the end, the other two members of the family had some fantastic scenes. They all did a fantastic job. This is a tight movie, all around.

I’ve been so wanting to see that. Maybe I’ll go Sunday. 

10 hours ago, -GD-X said:

I’ve been so wanting to see that. Maybe I’ll go Sunday. 

I didn't know this until afterwards, its directed and written by the same guys who made the Turn Down for What music video.

And the music video really captures the slick-produced insanity that the movie has.

When it started delving more and more into the concept of existentialism, and nihilism (and, ultimately what they are preaching is something called absurdism), at that point, I knew that this was something that feels like film subject in Japanese or Korean cinema.

It tries to be a sci-fi movie, a comedy, a family drama, and an existential drama, and they fucking nail all of it. I really am shocked just how good the movie turned out.

And those actors acted their balls off. The three main characters.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

The Sonic movies are better than they have a right to be. Finished the second one last night and it was even better than the first one. I'm actually looking forward to the third one now. 

I actually watched that the other day and agree. I was especially impressed by the scale and FX work during the action scenes.

edit: also Idris Elba as knuckles is completely ridiculous but actually worked out well :D 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Not sure how many people have seen it but I saw the Uncharted movie the other day and was also impressed by it. Its nothing amazing but its a fun ride, that feels faithful to the games even with the strange casting choices.

is it on any of the streaming sites yet? some of my friends liked it. i mean....if sonic can end up being a pretty good movie franchise, fuck it, i'll give this a chance.

17 hours ago, -GD-X said:

is it on any of the streaming sites yet? some of my friends liked it. i mean....if sonic can end up being a pretty good movie franchise, fuck it, i'll give this a chance.

Looks like it can only be bought from amazon instant video for $20 :|