What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

6 hours ago, jehurey said:

its pretty amazing what he was able to accomplish with first-generation digital camera tech when he made that movie.

A night movie, filmed with some of the earliest digital film cameras, back in 2004. And maybe post-processing helped clean up some of that stuff.

I remember reading a reddit or youtube comment about the scene where Tom Cruise kills those street punk thieves. How they got the gun sound so accurate in that scene. If you are watching in your home theater, the gun sound in the left channel speakers will reverberate for longer, because that shootout occurred with a concrete parking garage on the left side and the right side was an open fence area. And they accurately had the proper echo texture for gunshots as it reverberates off of concrete.

So what you hear is the echo of a gunshot against concrete, and the echo goes upwards along the length of the parking garage building.

I also remember reading some guy who was in film school saying that what Michael Mann was doing with Heat back in 1995 with filming at night was considered revolutionary at the time.

His new book just came out, the sequel to Heat.  And I really hope he starts filming that quickly, after he finishes his Enzo Ferrari movie that he's currently filming in Italy.

Obviously I've been posting about the 80's Michael Mann movies these past few months. Thief. Manhunter. Fucking amazing movies on their own.

Godly post! Mann is one of my idols, even more so, now that I’ve been color grading film. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

I had very low expectations for season 5 of Cobra Kai. While the first 3 eps are a bit on the slower side, the rest owned way than it deserved too! A lot of fun, cheesy and outrageous moments - with more charm than ever. I was also surprised by a lot of the character developments - easily the best I’ve seen in the series. Lastly, 

Spoiler

Terry Silver

Is the best villain :D He’s fucking great! 

25 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I had very low expectations for season 5 of Cobra Kai. While the first 3 eps are a bit on the slower side, the rest owned way than it deserved too! A lot of fun, cheesy and outrageous moments - with more charm than ever. I was also surprised by a lot of the character developments - easily the best I’ve seen in the series. Lastly, 

Reveal hidden contents

Terry Silver

Is the best villain :D He’s fucking great! 

i've enjoyed the first 3 eps. Currently on the 4th which had a pretty amazimg intro :D 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Right? So much fun! 

Yeah it was really fun. That whole finale was basically a final level in a Yakuza game. With the way the storyline is building up

Spoiler

It seems that the next season is going to be the final one. Since they're setting the stage for that global Karate tournament.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah it was really fun. That whole finale was basically a final level in a Yakuza game. With the way the storyline is building up

Hide contents

It seems that the next season is going to be the final one. Since they're setting the stage for that global Karate tournament.

Yup. I didn’t know how they were going to pull off 2 seasons, after four had completed. However,  after this one, I know the final season will own.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else not liking the casting choice for Galadriel? I don't know if it's the writing or what.  She's supposed to be 10000 years old but acts like a bratty teenager that's always pouting and scowling. She's supposed to be wise and stoic.  Pointlessly picking a fight in Numenor, I dunno, it's dumb. Also she looks too short. I'm sure there were better choices out there. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Debicki

She would have been good 

17 hours ago, Cooke said:

Anyone else not liking the casting choice for Galadriel? I don't know if it's the writing or what.  She's supposed to be 10000 years old but acts like a bratty teenager that's always pouting and scowling. She's supposed to be wise and stoic.  Pointlessly picking a fight in Numenor, I dunno, it's dumb. Also she looks too short. I'm sure there were better choices out there. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Debicki

She would have been good 

I know nothing about the books, but in the context of the show I think she fits the role.