What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The Last of Us reviews are coming in. Pretty great so far, currently 100% at RT and both GS and IGN gave it 9s

Even if the scores were low, I’d give it a shot.  Day 1 here. 

• Like 1

Incredibly hyped for TLOU show now. The reviews not only being superb but also based on the whole season makes me very excited!

Also about half way into Alice in Borderland S2. Gotten much better. The show really shines during the games though and then everything else feels like major lulls. Pacing a bit off this season I feel.

I watched Devotion. I was pretty excited to see this because of how rare it is to see war movies about the Korean War. And the fact that this is based on a true story just sweetens the deal.

Unfortunately, the moving is incredibly slow and definitely does not make the most of its 2 hour and 20 minute runtime. The first half in particular has some pretty grueling pacing issues and there are so many scenes that present sub plots and try to develop the characters but they feel detached from the main story and ultimately just end up coming off as a waste of time.

The 2nd half is better and finally includes some action (not sure how it took so long considering its a war movie) but there's still not as much as you'd want and if not for rare glimpses of some Chinese soldiers you wouldn't even be able to tell that it was set in Korea.

I think the last 15-20 minutes ultimately save the movie from complete mediocrity. There are some really well made & touching scenes that definitely pack an emotional punch and are elevated by some great acting from the main characters. Its unfortunate that so much of the movie felt like a slog before it got to that point.

I give it a 6.5/10

• Upvote 1

Watched the TLOU premiere.

It was a 7/10 for me. Show has potential but I definitely have some issues with it.

First and foremost Bella Ramsey as Ellie just doesn't work so far. Not just her appearance but her voice and how she conducts herself doesn't match up with the character at all IMO. 

I will say Pedro Pascal and Anna Torv are nailing Joel and Tess though and I almost immediately felt a sense of familiarity with them that I didn't get with Bella Ramsey.

Less of an issue but a bit underwhelming is the production values. Directing, editing, and cinematography are surprisingly average for a HBO show especially considering that it supposedly had a $100 million budget.

So yeah, the show is still no doubt going to be one of the better video game adaptations out there but I did expect a bit more so far.

• Like 1

Im pretty happy with the first ep. I don't really care if these actors embody the game performances to a t. The show will be better if the people involved are able to make their own creative choices. It's a bit pointless if this show is just restaging the cutscenes as accurately as possible.

The only criticism I have is that the first episode feels like an arbitrary chunk of story. They could've kept it to an hour and ended with Sarah dying. Or with Ellie first leaving with Joel and Tess. Where they left it kinda feels like mid-mission to me.

• Like 1

Absolutely love the opening scene, and it brilliantly answers the concern of them moving away from the video game's science fiction logic of pollen, and firmly establishing it as a fungal infection.

The opening 5 minutes does a better job establishing the science fiction logic in a clean and easily understandable way, than the video game ever did.

Wow, Craig Mazin is not a one-hit wonder after Chernobyl. He has a knack for writing scenes in which a scientist says some shit that scares a room full of people.

• Like 1

As for what the first episode contains, its a pretty logical stopping point.

You have to learn what makes Ellie special by the end of the first episode, and how they discover it is a bit better, and more tension-filled than the way they did it in the game.

At the same time, if there are people who do not know the video game, then they don't know that its just going to be Joel and Ellie here soon. So there's no point in having certain people die just yet.

Just about everything occuring in this episode is given a more-logical reason than in the video game.

Like I don't understand how exactly Joel and Tess were smuggling guns in the video game. Like, what were they going to do with the guns?

In this tv show, they are strictly small-time smugglers. And then give Joel additional motivation to travel across the United States.

Marlene shows up shot in the video game, and they sorta don't give any reason WHY she's there shot.  Here, they explain why she is shot, rather easily.

• Like 1