What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

quick thoughts on TLOU

Spoiler

I think the issue that this episode highlighted was just how tame the action feels compared to the games, in the sense that it lacks the same brutality and visceral-ness. Pretty much every violent moment happened off screen - Joel shooting the 2nd guy who approached him in the building, Ellie shooting the other dude in the back, Joel stabbing him to finish him off, Kathleen shooting the doctor. This universe is supposed to be dark and filled with up and close violence and it feels like the show is shying away from that a bit too much.

It kind of hurts the character development too, because you don't see them doing all the fucked up stuff that they eventually become known for. So even though its implied that they do whatever it takes to survive, you don't really see that same desperateness manifesting itself on-screen.

• Thanks 1

Watched the first episode of Last of Us.. didn't find it any better than the first episode of Walking Dead. I think it's been overhyped and my expectations were too high. Watched 2 episodes of House of the Dragon and found it more entertaining. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Twinblade said:

quick thoughts on TLOU

Hide contents

I think the issue that this episode highlighted was just how tame the action feels compared to the games, in the sense that it lacks the same brutality and visceral-ness. Pretty much every violent moment happened off screen - Joel shooting the 2nd guy who approached him in the building, Ellie shooting the other dude in the back, Joel stabbing him to finish him off, Kathleen shooting the doctor. This universe is supposed to be dark and filled with up and close violence and it feels like the show is shying away from that a bit too much.

It kind of hurts the character development too, because you don't see them doing all the fucked up stuff that they eventually become known for. So even though its implied that they do whatever it takes to survive, you don't really see that same desperateness manifesting itself on-screen.

Spoiler

It's building it superbly imo. Every time you show something on screen you are taking away the shock value and severity of an upcoming moment. Do it always and major moments become numb. Just wait. Watch Ellie killing David be brutal af and Joel's hospital scene in the finale be an absolute massacre. It's been amazing. You can literally see all the blocks they are building if you know were the story goes. Little hints and phrases and actions telling you exactly what the characters are capable of but not yet outright showing it. 

Shock value is one of the lowest value on viewer emotion any show and movie can do. One major moment is worth more than a show with gruesome scenes every episode because everything just becomes nothing. 

No Country For Old Men actually does an amazing version of this in reverse where the movie progressively shows more and more violence off screen as the film goes on. It's an awesome way to showcase things and to draw extra meaning to moments that are meant to be significant. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:
  Hide contents

It's building it superbly imo. Every time you show something on screen you are taking away the shock value and severity of an upcoming moment. Do it always and major moments become numb. Just wait. Watch Ellie killing David be brutal af and Joel's hospital scene in the finale be an absolute massacre. It's been amazing. You can literally see all the blocks they are building if you know were the story goes. Little hints and phrases and actions telling you exactly what the characters are capable of but not yet outright showing it. 

Shock value is one of the lowest value on viewer emotion any show and movie can do. One major moment is worth more than a show with gruesome scenes every episode because everything just becomes nothing. 

No Country For Old Men actually does an amazing version of this in reverse where the movie progressively shows more and more violence off screen as the film goes on. It's an awesome way to showcase things and to draw extra meaning to moments that are meant to be significant. 

I couldn’t have worded this better. +1

10 minutes ago, madmaltese said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I can't say I agree. The series is about those moments and it contributes to the story and characters they're trying to set up. Can you imagine TLOU2 where everytime Ellie does something shocking the camera cuts away and all you hear is a sound effect? It would practically be a different game and Ellie's character arc would be nowhere near as memorable.

I can't even imagine how they could possibly properly adapt the 2nd game if they continue with this PG approach when it comes to content.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I can't say I agree. The series is about those moments and it contributes to the story and characters they're trying to set up. Can you imagine TLOU2 where everytime Ellie does something shocking the camera cuts away and all you hear is a sound effect? It would practically be a different game and Ellie's character arc would be nowhere near as memorable.

I can't even imagine how they could possibly properly adapt the 2nd game if they continue with this PG approach when it comes to content.

Why are you even talking about TLOU2 though? This isn't TLOU2 ...not even close and if the characters were doing things now that happen in TLOU2 it would be a horrible show. We are miles off TLOU2 character wise. Not even the 2 games are close in terms of violence and they are games were the gameplay is literally shooting people so obviously you're going to be seeing shooting people. 

None of the major violent moments from the first game have even happened yet. In fact the only one that has happened is Ellie defending Joel to shoot the hunter and it is way more full on in the show than the game. The guy is begging for his life, his mother, we get a name and a connection to his motivations and group. It's a death that has way more significance in the show than the game and whether you see Joel stabbing him or not has nothing to do with that. It doesn't 'show' the kill because the show was giving us Ellie's perspective during that moment and Ellie didn't see the kill, so we the viewer don't see the kill. Same with the second guy Joel kills. We are following Ellie during those moments. It's very intentional and knowing where this story is going it should be pretty clear what they are going for. 

Maybe you would've preferred the action movie version that was proposed multiple times but thankfully rejected by Drukmann, TLOU but World War Z style is what he said they wanted lol.

TLOU is and always was about the character and TLOU1 specifically is all about Joel and Ellie's relationship. This ep literally had the most progress in that department and people calling it slow or 'not enough action'.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

It is pretty good so far, tho I want more battles! The crab king episode was great. Season 1 is all about setting up the characters though, so I get that 

oh yeah, season 2 will be like seasons 3 and 4 of GOT (according to the creators).

• Thanks 1