What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

Spoiler

I will say that, for TLOU, they made some great decisions with the Sam kid character that is better than the video game.

Very good decision to make him even younger than Ellie. And deaf, it just made him feel so innocent and good-natured, and helpless.

And the decision to change-up that scene that both he and Ellie have before they go to sleep, that is the one spot where they really improve and elevate the material from the video game.

Ellie is wanting to believe in her immunity making her special, and she sees the most innocent and good person she's probably ever seen in her life, and she knows that if she is special, she has to help people.

So she desperately tries to help Sam, and then you see her quietly pray, instinctually.

Really heart-breaking stuff. I had to see the behind the scenes video at the end so that I could see the little guy smiling, to feel better before going off to bed.

About TLOU

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I will say that, for TLOU, they made some great decisions with the Sam kid character that is better than the video game.

Very good decision to make him even younger than Ellie. And deaf, it just made him feel so innocent and good-natured, and helpless.

And the decision to change-up that scene that both he and Ellie have before they go to sleep, that is the one spot where they really improve and elevate the material from the video game.

Ellie is wanting to believe in her immunity making her special, and she sees the most innocent and good person she's probably ever seen in her life, and she knows that if she is special, she has to help people.

So she desperately tries to help Sam, and then you see her quietly pray, instinctually.

Really heart-breaking stuff. I had to see the behind the scenes video at the end so that I could see the little guy smiling, to feel better before going off to bed.

Spoilers,  homie. Some are waiting to binge it when it’s over. 

On 2/25/2023 at 5:47 AM, Mr. Impossible said:

This take on zombies is different and interesting. It also avoids a lot of the tropes of zombie movie while also adopting some of the more interesting elements like fast zombies and mutated ones. However, zombies always have one motivation, to eat people. More zombie encounters means more of what is bad about zombie movies, plot armor. The biggest downfall of the genre is making zombies a super threat to every non-main character where they can literally tear an extra apart in two seconds but can also be knocked over with a limp balloon by the star. They are using the zombies effectively, they seem to have some interesting in world rules to the zombies. I think it's biggest strengths is showing a grounded world set in this fucking nightmare scenario.

28 Days Later is in this unique position because they redefined the genre. Fast zombies arent new anymore. Hate viruses aren't new anymore. Hell, talking zombies isn't new anymore. Besides, how many ways can you show people running away from zombies? 

If I have to make a complaint, I feel they are kind of rushing through the story. I havent played more than an hour of the game, so not sure how much material they are running through, but I wouldn't have minded some more time with some characters. I love that there isn't much padding in the show, it's very efficient in giving a lot of narrative in a short amount of time. Which is evident by the post show reactions to episodes that are mostly self contained outside of Joel and Ellie.

Watched Army of the Dead like 2 nights ago just to remind myself of it. It tried new things with zombies like having alphas, and 

Spoiler

pregnant zombies

Or Game of Thrones having white walkers who like in Army of the Dead, weren't brainless zombies looking to just bite people, they were tactical. So there's still a lot that can be done with zombies especially when it comes to their intelligence. TLoU is barely trying, and its strength it had in storytelling is waning per each episode. First ep was amazing, then after that, the second, third had their strength, 4th 5th 6th got more low key, and the 7th... worst one yet

On 3/3/2023 at 10:47 PM, jehurey said:
  Hide contents

About TLOU

Spoiler

one episode is just not enough time to care about a character introduced and who then dies. Even if they use easily-feel-attached universal cliches like making him a kid or disabled. But then again the Bill and Frank characters were also introduced and died in one episode and I thought that was really effective.

if you or especially a chick you're with is into high school movies, I recommend "Do Revenge" on Netflix. Its funny and the lesbian chick from Stranger Things and Sansa Stark are in it, which is something I do actually... if I notice an actor from a show/movie I liked in something else, I'll most likely click, and for this one I wasn't disappointed.

• Upvote 1

Been making my way through season 4 of Atlanta. I like the more traditional storytelling here versus season 3’s fairy tale season. The episode with the white author lady was a classic episode. Also, the Goofy Movie mockumentary was funny as shit. Don’t think that we’ll ever see a show similar this one ever. It’s so unique in what it does. Only 2 episodes left. I’ll be sad to see it end. 

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Troy Baker finally made his appearance in TLOU :ben:

edit: that was a good ep but

Reveal hidden contents

The actor that played David really just felt like the wrong choice for that character. The series has made some questionable choices with its cast.

I’m going to have to disagree. He was perfect, even more fucked up than the original. 

also Bella owned it! She’s a better Ellie than Ellie lol

52 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I’m going to have to disagree. He was perfect, even more fucked up than the original. 

also Bella owned it! She’s a better Ellie than Ellie lol

The show is fine for what it is but its definitely not as special as the game was at least for me. But im sure it might have a greater impact for people who aren't at all familiar with the games.

I was a bit underwhelmed by this episode of TLOU

Part of it is not their fault, because I have very specific feelings about the video game, and what happens near the end of the video game.

I don't know if my posts from 2013 occurred on this forum, but I just got done playing the ski resort level and the final level on the PS5 remake today.

Nothing's change, my thoughts are almost exactly the same as they were 10 years ago.

I knew they couldn't film this episode exactly like the way you played that video game level. But I still think they botched how they presented this group of people.

These people aren't scary. When they should've been. It should've been more creepy.

Ellie trying to escape should've been on the level of Clarice trying to escape Buffalo Bill's basement. Or Ethan Hawke getting dragged into the bathroom in Training Day.

The tv show knows they can't really do the 2-3 month timeshift that the video game did. But what they ended up doing, instead, still didn't feel believable on behalf of Joel.

The ending feels a little rushed.

We'll see how it ends. But I'm telling you right now, they're gonna have to change some things with the way Joel's behaves during the ending. Because I think the video game is considerably flawed with how they handled that.

• Upvote 1

If I had it my way, the first TLOU game would have been broken into 2 or 3 seasons, with each episode greatly expanding on its world building. I also would have liked many new arcs that weren’t in the title. However, due to the “hit or miss” reception, when it comes to video game adaptations, I get why things are moving at a faster rate, due to fear of cancellation. I feel like the creators are nailing their vision, even if it’s “safe”…

A lot of credit goes to the Bella and Pedro. Man, they have really sold me on their dynamic. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, jehurey said:

I was a bit underwhelmed by this episode of TLOU

Part of it is not their fault, because I have very specific feelings about the video game, and what happens near the end of the video game.

I don't know if my posts from 2013 occurred on this forum, but I just got done playing the ski resort level and the final level on the PS5 remake today.

Nothing's change, my thoughts are almost exactly the same as they were 10 years ago.

I knew they couldn't film this episode exactly like the way you played that video game level. But I still think they botched how they presented this group of people.

These people aren't scary. When they should've been. It should've been more creepy.

Ellie trying to escape should've been on the level of Clarice trying to escape Buffalo Bill's basement. Or Ethan Hawke getting dragged into the bathroom in Training Day.

The tv show knows they can't really do the 2-3 month timeshift that the video game did. But what they ended up doing, instead, still didn't feel believable on behalf of Joel.

The ending feels a little rushed.

We'll see how it ends. But I'm telling you right now, they're gonna have to change some things with the way Joel's behaves during the ending. Because I think the video game is considerably flawed with how they handled that.

The guy they cast as David looking like a IT manager certainly didn't help add to the scary/creepy vibe.

But what I will say is that I think this was one part that was never going to fully capture the vibe of the game

Spoiler

Playing as Joel up until this point in the game and then suddenly being put in control of Ellie was such a 'Oh Shit' type of moment that really elevated that entire segment. There was simply no way they could have emulated that kind of feeling in show/film format.

The show is going down hill… it’s still not bad, but it started off way better than the direction it’s going in now. Never played the games but it feels like huge chunks are misssing. Where the hell was everyone in the town when the main area was burning to the ground? Why did he try to rape her… in a burning house? Did he plan on nutting in 2 seconds and escaping? Or just burning in there with her? How did Ellie know he was feeding people? It seemed like she just randomly figured that out. What people were they eating anyway? Ellie found a rabbit and a deer within 2 seconds of being outside, yet they couldn’t find anything and had to eat people? Lol. Meh.  The shows strength are when Ellie and Joel are together, and they’ve barely been the last two episodes. Also.. figured there were 10 episodes, but there’s only one left?

But yeah, Bella Ramsey has an insanely bright future as an actress. She’s really good. 

Edited by Jerrys Hair Line
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

The show is going down hill… it’s still not bad, but it started off way better than the direction it’s going in now. Never played the games but it feels like huge chunks are misssing. Where the hell was everyone in the town when the main area was burning to the ground? Why did he try to rape her… in a burning house? Did he plan on nutting in 2 seconds and escaping? Or just burning in there with her? How did Ellie know he was feeding people? It seemed like she just randomly figured that out. What people were they eating anyway? Ellie found a rabbit and a deer within 2 seconds of being outside, yet they couldn’t find anything and had to eat people? Lol. Meh.  The shows strength are when Ellie and Joel are together, and they’ve barely been the last two episodes. Also.. figured there were 10 episodes, but there’s only one left?

But yeah, Bella Ramsey has an insanely bright future as an actress. She’s really good. 

I definitely agree that the pacing, and overall development of arcs/world building, should be a lot slower.