What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

Great beginning to TLOU final ep. Ended on a sour note

Spoiler

Ellie being immune because of her pregnant mother giving birth to her while infected is believable enough, and also original. Joel however, is a narcissist and a hypocrite. Killing to save who he once considered just "cargo" but had a change of heart and clearly sees her as family, somehow has no empathy for the very people who saved her before and connected him with her. Including a guy who was surrendering by putting his gun down, still shoots him. He lies to her because he knows she would have agreed to sacrifice herself for a greater cause, which would have been a lot more noble than him also thinking of killing himself after his daughter died. 

So I don't know if I'm disappointed in the character himself and therefore it was great writing, or am disappointed in the writing for making him out to be such a character.

But I really loved the beginning with Ellie's mother, that was great.

Edited by z,warrior
  • Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

Won't get to watch TLOU finale till tomorrow unfortunately. Can't wait, great to hear it's good though!

Watched Nope last night. By far my least fav Jordan Peele movie. The premise was really cool too but there was practically zero tension, pacing was all over the place and was far too long. Beautiful shot though.  

11 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Won't get to watch TLOU finale till tomorrow unfortunately. Can't wait, great to hear it's good though!

Watched Nope last night. By far my least fav Jordan Peele movie. The premise was really cool too but there was practically zero tension, pacing was all over the place and was far too long. Beautiful shot though.  

Lol I don't even remember what happened in that movie. It's obvious Peele needs to stop and spend some time on his next film. He ain't Nolan. 

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

While the first 2 eps of Red Rose required a hell of a lot of suspension of disbelief, it becomes quite good afterwards and ends up being a solid show. The ending is kind of an exciting tease too, but im not holding out hope that it'll get renewed.

I’m glad you liked it. Yeah, while the ending was satisfying, I hope to see a second. 

Loved how the episode of TLOU began, that felt like a real cinematic and truly heartbreaking moment, and the original Ellie absolutely knocked it out of the part. Almost feels like if they extended it to like 12-15 minutes, it could've been its own short episode, that shows Anna's precious few hours that she has with her newborn baby and her doing everything possible to protect her. And they should've included her writing a note, the same one that you read in the video game.

So the ending? Its a little bit better than in the video game. But I still have the same complaints as I did when I beat the video game.

Spoiler

The only way the ending is believable is if Joel goes through an entire series of emotions and feels full of uncertainty and panic before he does what he does, and even AS he does what he does.

That's the only way I would believe the logic behind what he did. But I just don't think they did a good-enough job of selling us on that.

7 hours ago, -GD-X said:

I’m glad you liked it. Yeah, while the ending was satisfying, I hope to see a second. 

Spoiler

The japan setting they teased would be dope. Or if they have the budget and can be a bit more ambitious, they can have a new storyline in japan but then alternate between that and the current cast in the UK (kind of like Giri/Haji). Thats probably too much to hope for but it would be awesome.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, jehurey said:

So the ending? Its a little bit better than in the video game. But I still have the same complaints as I did when I beat the video game.

Hide contents

The only way the ending is believable is if Joel goes through an entire series of emotions and feels full of uncertainty and panic before he does what he does, and even AS he does what he does.

That's the only way I would believe the logic behind what he did. But I just don't think they did a good-enough job of selling us on that.

Spoiler

I thought it was believable enough.  I mean they basically set it up with the whole Joel saying he found a new reason to go on, basically him saying he now looks at her as his own daughter, etc.

also i took the way they filmed the scene to imply that he was kind of in a rage and not really processing it as it was happening.

to me he was always warming up to ellie throughout the game and really turned after she nursed him back to health. i never understood the "it's out of character" arguments though.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Casual said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought it was believable enough.  I mean they basically set it up with the whole Joel saying he found a new reason to go on, basically him saying he now looks at her as his own daughter, etc.

also i took the way they filmed the scene to imply that he was kind of in a rage and not really processing it as it was happening.

to me he was always warming up to ellie throughout the game and really turned after she nursed him back to health. i never understood the "it's out of character" arguments though.

Spoiler

This. He couldn’t save Sarah. He wasn’t going to lose a “second daughter”. Ellie is his reason for living.

8 hours ago, Casual said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I thought the show was selling his decision from basically the beginning and that it was way more obvious in the show. I never understood the not believable arguments from the game (especially as a parent) but in the show I thought it was perhaps oversold to the point where it was obvious what was going to happen. Watched with my wife who has no idea of the story and she instantly said 'no way he lets her die', when he got told about her surgery.

I did interpret the way the scene was filmed and with the calm music played over the top quite differently than you though.

I read it as his mind was completely clear. Zero doubt on what he had to do, zero hesitation. Just pure methodical and efficient.

• Upvote 1