What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

the lighthouse is a major disappointment.

the audio-visual presentation is top notch; the atmosphere and setting suck you in from the start. there's an air of mystery and youre eager to know more, but there isnt more. theres no narrative, its basically a cabin fever story but the execution of the descent is lacking. if the shining is a 10/10 cabin fever movie, this is like a 5 or 6.

i also thought the much-lauded performances were overacted. even a vet like dafoe is chewing the scenery. as for pattinson, his performance is all over the place and just awkward. feels like he's going in and out of multiple accents. was hoping he would win me over as a prospective batman, but after this, my hype is actually lessened.

for context, i didnt like the previous directors film, the witch. but after sleeping on it, theres no doubt in my mind that the witch is an objectively superior film to the lighthouse, visuals aside.

on a semi-related arthouse horror note, i also saw recently saw mandy (nic cage) and it was fucking sick. :bow:

you ripped my shirt  :smilecry: only flaw i would say is some of the fat could have been trimmed from the run time.

re: the lighthouse. idk everyones mileage may vary. critics are loving it (90 RT) so i guess im in the minority. the black and white visuals and sound design are some of the most effective since david lynch's eraserhead and the elepant man - it is THE reason to see the movie if you see the movie, no question. one thing i forgot to mention though with regard to the sound is its nigh impossible at times to understand what characters are saying. accents + old dialect + mumbling = ugh. i think this was also a problem in the witch.

2 hours ago, Quad Damage said:

the lighthouse is a major disappointment.

the audio-visual presentation is top notch; the atmosphere and setting suck you in from the start. there's an air of mystery and youre eager to know more, but there isnt more. theres no narrative, its basically a cabin fever story but the execution of the descent is lacking. if the shining is a 10/10 cabin fever movie, this is like a 5 or 6.

i also thought the much-lauded performances were overacted. even a vet like dafoe is chewing the scenery. as for pattinson, his performance is all over the place and just awkward. feels like he's going in and out of multiple accents. was hoping he would win me over as a prospective batman, but after this, my hype is actually lessened.

for context, i didnt like the previous directors film, the witch. but after sleeping on it, theres no doubt in my mind that the witch is an objectively superior film to the lighthouse, visuals aside.

on a semi-related arthouse horror note, i also saw recently saw mandy (nic cage) and it was fucking sick. :bow:

Watch Good Time. Pattinson’s performance may have been the best that year. 

On 2019-10-24 at 6:58 AM, -GD- said:

So last night was the “turning point” in AHS 1984. In the past, that’s when previous seasons would fall flat. However, this week’s (100 overall, btw) owned hard. What a great job keeping the 1984 theme fresh! 

Watched the most recent episode last night. I like where they seem to be taking the second half of the season. Been really solid overall even with a lot of the older cast off the show.

• Like 1
Just now, Ike said:

Watched the most recent episode last night. I like where they seem to be taking the second half of the season. Been really solid overall even with a lot of the older cast off the show.

i think it's the best one since asylum. i'm having a total blast with it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

:loldance:

I didn't know Chaka Kahn was still making music. That's cool. That's probably more of a byproduct of a modern music producer adding some sick beats to it, but that's still cool.

13 hours ago, Angelfish said:

Aw man, I've been on a John Frusciante vinyl collecting hunt since last year.

I'm gonna need to pick this up.

His 2004 solo album, Curtains, is now up for pre-order, they are doing a re-issue, because those fucking things cost $200 on ebay. Thank god I got a copy of The Empyrean a few months ago because that is on backorder.

• Like 1

The Chili Peppers are weakened without him, no doubt.  I'm With You might be their album I like least.  Not a lot of memorable tracks on that from memory.  The Getaway is better though.  It's a shame he isn't churning out more guitar-driven material these days.  He's clearly born for the instrument.

Second episode of Watchmen was pretty good, and what really stands out is that they have the time to tell multiple strands of stories with different characters to really expand the storytelling.

The first is just merely decent, because it serves as a prologue to the first episode, and it doesn't explain much, just a little background info on the main characters.

But the second half gets really good because it jumps around to different kinds of storylines. And it even does a little narrative-within-a-narrative like the Tales of the Black Freighter did. Very enjoyable.