What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

As kids, Destyne Butler Jr and Kenneth Sims Jr dreamed of boxing glory.

Both found early success as youth boxers on the South Side of Chicago – Butler demonstrated enough promise at age 12 to merit a profile in the Chicago Tribune, in which he proclaimed his intent to box in the London Olympics, to front a Wheaties box, to haul in winnings.

Sims’s determination to box in the 2012 Olympics caught the attention of German film-maker André Hörmann, who made a documentary short on him and his coach – his father, Kenneth Sims Sr – in 2009, with the intent to make a feature film on the two boxing prodigies.

But plans change. Sims failed to qualify for the London Games, a crushing defeat Hörmann captured on camera, while Butler fell into a burglary ring conducted by a then mentor; he was arrested for residential burglary of Chicago-area homes in 2012, at age 18, and spent four years in prison.

And Hörmann’s film, Ringside, for which he and cinematographer Tom Bergmann moved to Chicago for 18 months in 2013, morphed into a nine-year odyssey of two divergent fighters in and out of the ring.

The 93-minute film, which will air on Showtime, is a time-lapse portrait of two steely father-son bonds, two paths of redemption and revision, two families for whom boxing has served as both community and anchor.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

Btw, anybody into zombie horror shows should give Dead Set a watch on netflix. I only stumbled onto it because it was one of the earlier works by the creator of Black Mirror. Its a surprisingly fun mini series and im surprised it didn't go on for longer than 1 season.

Watched Spotlight.  Fantastic film. when i was younger, I had a genuine belief that working in the news was an exciting job, because you are finding what is happening in the world.

But, it just feels like it can be horrific, almost like janitor work. Because the moment they start finding evil shit, you can tell that they wish they didn't find it, but they know its their obligation to keep digging. And then the powerful people in their town are starting to levy subtle at them, they almost get defiant. These kinds of journalists are fucking heroes.

Then I just saw Prisoners.

This is the only major Denis Villenueve film I hadn't seen yet, I had read that it was really good. All of those slow-moving dreadful scenes in Sicario originate from here. I think its very good.

The only complain I will say is that there are 2 or 3 plot contrivances that have to exist in order for the movie to have as many twist and turns as it does. I don't think the story is that tight, but its a good story.

Da 5 Bloods was an awesome movie. My only complaint is it could have been a bit shorter instead of 2 1/2 hours. The nod to The Wire was hilariously out of nowhere. Once I saw Clay Davis and Lester freamon as 2 of the main characters i should have expected it

• Thanks 1

Saw a couple of films recently:

Hard Boiled - for a film pretty much built on slow motion sequences, I was really impressed with how effective they used the effect without fatigue setting in.

Bones - starring Snoop Dogg.  I've never seen this before.  It definitely doesn't take itself too seriously and if you are OK with that in a horror film, it might be worth a look (particularly for Snoop Dogg and Blaxploitation film fans).

Hobo with a Shotgun - I enjoyed the energy and eccentricity  of the villains in this film in particular.  Again, probably not for everyone but you can sometimes sense that a film has had a lot of passion poured into it and I feel like this is one of those types of films.

On 2020-06-14 at 10:29 PM, Delita said:

Da 5 Bloods was an awesome movie. My only complaint is it could have been a bit shorter instead of 2 1/2 hours. The nod to The Wire was hilariously out of nowhere. Once I saw Clay Davis and Lester freamon as 2 of the main characters i should have expected it

It was good. II didn't realize until the very end that

The old french guy was Jean Reno

:ben:  boy does he look different now 

I am switching over to another cable company, so the new hardware probably arrives this Monday.

The only real thing left on my DVR is all four seasons of the gritty Canadian cop drama, 19-2.

.........and some random recordings of nudie clips that I would've recorded, and Tombstone (obviously).

So I have about 4 days to knock out the entire 38 episode run of 19-2 and then I can unplug my DVR.

• Upvote 1
On 2020-06-14 at 1:02 PM, -GD- BLM said:

It was fantastic. Visually stunning too 

Ok so I didnt know there was a 3rd season haha. Fuck yes! I thought the end of season 2 was the end lol

Edited by Cooke (not admin cant help