What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

I was interested in getting the DVD for Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, but they're only UK DVDs that are region locked.

So instead of dealing with that bullshit, I just went on PirateBay and got in within 10 minutes.

I am probably going to start making an effort to find some of the best British comedies from the past 20 years and watch them.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

I was flipping through the channels and saw on PBS Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot's Christmas and had heard that the original british TV series was really good (and more accurate to the books).

And it was a classy looking period piece that wasn't taking itself too serious, and had some chuckle-worthy moments. And it had a pretty damn good murder mystery with a satisfying final reveal.

Its very obvious that Knives Out is heavily borrowing from this.

I need to watch more Hercule Poirot episodes from the 90's. Its good stuff.

20 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

S2 of The Witcher is out :smoke: getting better reviews than the first season too

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_witcher/s02

First episode "leaked" like 2 days ago. Was pretty nice IMO. Great effects on the "monsters". There were boobs too. Ended with a story note I would expect from some of the more nuanced Witcher 3 quests.

While I still don't think its great, It does indeed seem a step above season 1.

Edited by Substatic
On 2021-12-16 at 8:14 AM, jehurey said:

Dang, I had trouble getting a ticket to watch the spiderman movie.

Shit is sooooold out, especially in the nice theater rooms like the Dolby Cinema auditoriums.

Just got back from it. Movie owned. Best standalone MCU film since Thor 3, best MCU Spidey film, and best live action movie in the franchise since Spider-Man 2. Also, definitely stay for both post credit scenes. 

I finished season 2 of Witcher. The last two episodes got pretty dark and crazy, but I enjoyed them. Overall, the season was a fun ride. It wasn’t perfect, but it was more focused and character-driven. It lacked the humor and sex of the first, but it was a fair trade.  

8 hours ago, Ike said:

Just got back from it. Movie owned. Best standalone MCU film since Thor 3, best MCU Spidey film, and best live action movie in the franchise since Spider-Man 2. Also, definitely stay for both post credit scenes. 

I think this is why Disney was getting into a bit of a fight over Sony a little over a year ago.

I think that the next few years of Marvel movies are going to depend alot on Spider-man, the character.

The box office numbers for this movie is going to be Avengers-level, and people are going to want Spider-man in all the other major Marvel movies. And they don't own the rights to the character.

This is a Columbia Pictures movie, technically. Sony kind of has Marvel/Disney by the balls in this instance.

7 hours ago, -GD-X said:

I finished season 2 of Witcher. The last two episodes got pretty dark and crazy, but I enjoyed them. Overall, the season was a fun ride. It wasn’t perfect, but it was more focused and character-driven. It lacked the humor and sex of the first, but it was a fair trade.  

Just blows my mind how you can watch 8-10 hours of tv like that in less than 48 hours.

I remember binging the first 9 episodes of Westworld Season 1 over the course of a week so that I can watch the final episode on time.  And watching 1-2 episodes per day is my max.

I think tv shows needs to sink in a little bit before proceeding forward.

23 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I think this is why Disney was getting into a bit of a fight over Sony a little over a year ago.

I think that the next few years of Marvel movies are going to depend alot on Spider-man, the character.

The box office numbers for this movie is going to be Avengers-level, and people are going to want Spider-man in all the other major Marvel movies. And they don't own the rights to the character.

This is a Columbia Pictures movie, technically. Sony kind of has Marvel/Disney by the balls in this instance.

Just blows my mind how you can watch 8-10 hours of tv like that in less than 48 hours.

I remember binging the first 9 episodes of Westworld Season 1 over the course of a week so that I can watch the final episode on time.  And watching 1-2 episodes per day is my max.

I think tv shows needs to sink in a little bit before proceeding forward.

Ha I’m a tv addict. It truly is my favorite form of digital entertainment. 

Watched S2 of The Witcher. It was good, but made me realize just how much I prefer the version of the universe depicted in the games. This season in particular goes really hard on the mysticism, magic, occult, and supernatural elements in general and it just seems at excessive at points. The grounded personal stories of the games and the characters within them resonates a lot more with me. And when stuff like Magic or occult elements are used they're done so with restraint, and only during pivotal moments where they have an impact but don't overshadow the more down to earth writing that focuses on individual character stories & the complex politics of the realms.

• Upvote 1

Apparently, from I hear from people who have read the books, the author really left alot of unfinished side-stories and never wrapped them up in the books.

So, that gave CDPR plenty of opportunity to give all of those narrative strands their own ending

Also, alot of the hardcore book readers are saying that they are significantly deviating the books already, and are complaining.

Seeing as though I will never read the books, I don't know how much I'm supposed to care. It really boils down to how long does Cavill want to play this role, and does he care about whether or not the storyline remains true to the books.

35 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Apparently, from I hear from people who have read the books, the author really left alot of unfinished side-stories and never wrapped them up in the books.

So, that gave CDPR plenty of opportunity to give all of those narrative strands their own ending

Also, alot of the hardcore book readers are saying that they are significantly deviating the books already, and are complaining.

Seeing as though I will never read the books, I don't know how much I'm supposed to care. It really boils down to how long does Cavill want to play this role, and does he care about whether or not the storyline remains true to the books.

If they're already deviating from the books then they should just go all the way and use the games as a base for their stories imo. Maybe even try to hire the CDPR writers who worked on them.

Just now, Twinblade said:

If they're already deviating from the books then they should just go all the way and use the games as a base for their stories imo. Maybe even try to hire the CDPR writers who worked on them.

Mind you that CDPR had three oppotunities  to extend the stories more and more.

And they were Polish, and I would imagine that this Polish book series, based on Polish folk tales, alot of them would easily bring their passion and their ideas and it would easily fit with the original author's work.

It would be like asking nerds from America to write extended Star Wars storylines. Like yeah, they probably would be quite good at that, and they've probably already done that.

I'm starting to think that the Witcher games was an instance of the perfect developer having the perfect IP. And that's why they didn't immediately succeed with Cyberpunk (even though I think they will get there).

Also, you have to factor Netflix possibly imposing limits based on budget, and possibly targeting demographics. Netflix doesn't care about existing Witcher fans, those people will watch no matter what. They care about whether the Witcher can bring in different types of viewers.

2 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Finished Money Heist! Season 5 truly goes all out crazy but the show is held together by it's characters and that aspect was always strong throughout. Great ending and perfect send off. Truly enjoyed it. 

Witcher next

Right? The ending felt like it was made for the fans. I loved it!