Sign in to follow this  
Cookester15

Victoria Canada removing statue of first prime minister

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/john-a-statue-victoria-helps-1.4777810

Cause of something he did that wouldn't be approved of in 2018.. :|

Can we stop fucking judging past people through our modern perspectives ? What he was doing was accepted at the time and he was doing what he thought was right. 

it's ok his name will live on through golden arches around the globe

I don't know about this John character but a lot of national myths are based around idealizing certain dudes that were less than ideal and they are attributed more than they deserve

Take Chris Columbus for example. Dude was a shitty character even by the standards of his day and his accomplishments are nothing spectacular. But he helped early american countries to make an identity so they deified him.

I have no issue with countries growing up. If it were up to me I would remove the Columbus name out of every street in Latinamerica

32 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/john-a-statue-victoria-helps-1.4777810

Cause of something he did that wouldn't be approved of in 2018.. :|

Can we stop fucking judging past people through our modern perspectives ? What he was doing was accepted at the time and he was doing what he thought was right. 

Hitler was doing what was accepted at the time and he was doing what he thought was right

Just now, Voidler said:

Hitler was doing what was accepted at the time and he was doing what he thought was right

Hahahahahahahahaahahahaha

• Haha 1

it was acceptable to remove native children from their families guys :mjcry:

1 hour ago, Voidler said:

That doesn't mean Nazi relics and insignia should be destroyed or hidden away, they should be treasured as a piece of history like any other. 

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

That doesn't mean Nazi relics and insignia should be destroyed or hidden away, they should be treasured as a piece of history like any other. 

Of course you think that :mj:

• Haha 3

So did this dude actually did anything memorable for Canada or was he just an old fart from the olden days? I ask because confederate fags in the south of the US want to preserve statues of dudes whose only accomplishment was trying to break the union, but they want to keep them because of muh identity politics.

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

So should Germany have a big fat statue of Hitler near the Branderburg Tor or what?

Because I don't know if you know this but a statue/street name conmemorating a dude is different from destroying historical pieces.

We can talk about his mistakes without destroying history. He's not fucking Hitler, he was trying to give Indians better education, he failed and went about it the wrong way. That doesn't dilute everything else he did for Canada.  

On 2018-08-08 at 5:51 PM, Voidler said:

Of course you think that :mj:

17 hours ago, saltyhermitdenial said:

lmao the origin of transsexuality. we should wipe out can'tnada. 

well if he supported trans rights he can't be that bad

Can you imagine the uproar in the US if someone did that with a statue of George Washington because it hurts the feelings of indigenous people? :mj:

Canada is a country so devoid of culture that no one even cares. This is pathetic.