Sign in to follow this  
Remij_

Seems like Steam is adding Wine support for playing Windows games on Linux

N1Tv3aW.png\

Sounds like it will be called "Steam Play" and will automatically install compatibility tools that allow you to play Windows games from your library on Linux.

Wine already supports a lot of games, and an official push by Valve will certainly help.  This is good for Linux users, and honestly if in the future something happens where Windows is no longer aligned with open gaming platform standards, some day we could emulate all our Windows games on Linux and carry over. :glad:

Another thing I was thinking about recently was that if something like that actually happened, I think people would be surprised at just how quickly the industry would shift over and adopt Linux.  Obviously I'm not saying that's going to happen, but if it was forced to.. a lot of the pillars are already in place to make that transition happen relatively quickly.

I already use Linux Mint as my daily driver, so this will be an awesome addition.  Anything that helps me with spending less time on windows is great.

Just now, dakur said:

Not the ideal approach but a good thing to promote Linux usage for gaming

It should at least help with the older games. I'm sure that with their support we will see more recent games arrived on Linux, but my worry is that lazy devs will choose this as an alternative to porting a more optimized version.

• Upvote 1

Eww... this is interesting. Definitely not the right approach, but whatever. Wine kind of sucks along with cygwin.

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Eww... this is interesting. Definitely not the right approach, but whatever. Wine kind of sucks along with cygwin.

Let's hope that at least they commit to improving the whole system and not just using it half-baked.

11 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

Let's hope that at least they commit to improving the whole system and not just using it half-baked.

For sure. Nothing wrong with contributing and making something better than it was, but overall this can't be the approach they're really taking. I mean, they were competent enough to make Steam OS.

6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

For sure. Nothing wrong with contributing and making something better than it was, but overall this can't be the approach they're really taking. I mean, they were competent enough to make Steam OS.

maybe this is a way to lazily patch the lack of major AAA titles on Linux. I know that thanks to Steam OS support have improved dramatically but it still seems like it's not enough. It's still lacking support from major publishers and Civilization VI and CSGO can only take you so far.  I do agree that they can do so much more, but something is better than nothing.

38 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

maybe this is a way to lazily patch the lack of major AAA titles on Linux. I know that thanks to Steam OS support have improved dramatically but it still seems like it's not enough. It's still lacking support from major publishers and Civilization VI and CSGO can only take you so far.  I do agree that they can do so much more, but something is better than nothing.

I think a lot of the help came from AMD with Vulkan, but unfortunately it hasn't exactly hit the ground running like a lot expected it to... not to mention Winblows is 99% of the PussC gaming market.