Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Digital Foundry Analysis

• Both the Pro and X show evidence of a dynamic scaler but it doesn't appear to really do anything.
  • X and Pro both have high resolution textures but texture work is great regardless of platform
  • Uses 4X AF on all versions, implementation looks great due to a lack of many flat surfaces
  • Uses temporal AA on all versions, this presents a slightly softer image but IQ is greatly improved
  • HDR implementation is some of the best to date in any game
  • All versions suffer from some input latency, very reminiscent of Rise at launch which was corrected

• Xbox One S: 1600x900 fixed render 
  • PlayStation 4: 1920x1080 fixed render 
  • Both systems generally hold their 30 FPS target but in heavy sequences this framerate becomes slightly unstable with some torn frames and dips more evident on Xbox One S

• PlayStation 4 Pro: 3328x1872 checkerboarded (raw render 1664x1872)
  • Xbox One X: 3584x2016 native render
  • The Pro is a near 30 FPS lock at all times with very rare minor dips
  • The X experiences minor but sustained dips during heavy sequences which introduce frame tearing, this signifies a bit of a GPU bottleneck that could be rectified with more optimization, a slightly lower resolution/scaling
  • The X gets the nod though as this detracts from the experience very little overall and is made up for by superior image quality

• 60 FPS mode on Pro and X is a fixed 1920x1080 at identical settings to the Resolution modes
  • The Pro is very unstable in this mode with wild swings that bring it from the 40's to 50's rapidly, it averages about 51 FPS but is judder heavy
  • The X is quite stable in this mode, it has more torn frames but doesn't experience much swing averaging about 56 FPS in some heavy areas, in other heavy sequences it's a near 60 FPS lock
  • With the Xbox One X having Freesync if you have a compatible display this would be a very fluid experience

Edited by DynamiteCop!
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea, well when your consoles misses out on tons of games and has no exclusives... you basically have nothing left other than that tiny bit of resolution

I must say, if you don't engage him directly - which I am loathe to do; he's entertaining as fuck. The circles he runs in to defend things, and the corners he boxes himself into are fantastic.  

Here you go again, butthurt and running to alternative sources.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Aza Team 2019 said:

I wonder what the bottleneck is for X, memory bandwidth or GPU power. If it's memory bandwidth we're probably getting something like 320gbps-> 450gps upgrade. That's a bit scary of Navi doesn't support bandwidth optimzations.

It's likely just hitting its compute ceiling, it's also something that a patch might be able to correct while not actually changing any operating parameters, it's hard to tell.

The game is basically running in what was Rise's enriched mode at a near native 4K so the GPU demand has increased significantly.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
22 minutes ago, Aza Team 2019 said:

I remember playing the reboot and thinking yeah, this isn't really a Tomb Raider game but if they cut down on the puzzles a bit it could be an amazing Rambo game. I'm serious.

and i remember thinking that more puzzles, with better puzzle design, would make the franchise near-perfect.  

47 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Jesus, I read someone say it was beating a 1060 but I didn't realize it was by that much.

Everything maxed... don't even pretend like the console versions are being stressed the way this is... lmao