God of War is the best game of this generation.

17 hours ago, -GD- said:

Lol some of you guys take gaming way too seriously. It’s subjective. Just agree to disagree. While I think GoW is the “better game”, I enjoyed  Detroit a lot more - and it’s a 7.0 flop. I also couldn’t get into Zelda BOTW after 3 tries. Some things resonate with certain gamers, while others don’t. Nobody’s taste is an absolute. If you think “your taste” is better than another’s, get over yourself.  Also, stop dissecting these games and just enjoy them. :smoke: 

Welcome to the "Detroit > GoW" club :tom5:

• Like 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't believe I'm saying this, I always hated the GoW series but this one is a different beast altogether. It's more Legend of Zelda than a pure action game and the puzzles, level design, traversal

Lol some of you guys take gaming way too seriously. It’s subjective. Just agree to disagree. While I think GoW is the “better game”, I enjoyed  Detroit a lot more - and it’s a 7.0 flop. I also couldn’

On 2018-09-15 at 11:53 AM, -GD- said:

Lol some of you guys take gaming way too seriously. It’s subjective. Just agree to disagree. While I think GoW is the “better game”, I enjoyed  Detroit a lot more - and it’s a 7.0 flop. I also couldn’t get into Zelda BOTW after 3 tries. Some things resonate with certain gamers, while others don’t. Nobody’s taste is an absolute. If you think “your taste” is better than another’s, get over yourself.  Also, stop dissecting these games and just enjoy them. :smoke: 

True, but when people discredit my opinion as wrong even after I explain why I personally don't like it, that's when I take offense. I have particular tastes when it comes to games, I completely admit this. If you don't agree with my opinion, fine, but don't sit there and tell me I'm wrong and am being anal and nitpicky. I'll gladly tear into your ass when you do that shit.

I've been playing games since I was 5 and I'm 35 now. That's 30 years of my life spent playing games. I have been conditioned to expect certain things when it comes to game design. One of the things I value most in a games combat system isn't technical depth or combo complexity contrary to popular belief. No, I value consistent behavior and rules. As long as you have that, I can easily overlook the lack of technical depth or combos.

I want to know that when X happens then I can do Y and Z is the result. Consistent behavior and rules. GoW lacks this. In GoW, thanks to systems applied, this basic information gets unreliable. When X happens then sometimes the player can do Y and maybe Z is the result. That is unreliable information.  Now this seems like a "minor" problem but it's really not and it has a major effect on my personal enjoyment of a game.

When the player has reliable information to work with then the player is able to form-*GASP*- concrete strategies and tactics. Using these strategies and tactics, combined with reliable information and game behavior, the player is then able to experiment with other possible solutions which creates- *DOUBLE GASP*- Depth.  The act of learning, understanding, and discovering new ways to play a game is my biggest joy when it comes to gaming. I don't play games to interact with a story, I play a game as a fun mental exercise.

Various aspects of GoWs gameplay do not give me a fun mental exercise. The combat is the biggest offender because  this is what makes up the majority of the game and it's poorly designed IMO. Because of the way homing works in this game I found myself actively AVOIDING close range combat because it was the only way I could get consistent behavior and rules (avoiding CLOSE range combat in a MELEE focused game, do I even need to explain how contradictory and flawed this is?).

However, playing the game by avoiding the homing feature only exposed to me how completely busted the balancing of the move list is in this game. There are too many moves and tools in this game that are easy to exploit. Just for a quick example, there is an upgrade for the Axe that adds a move when you hold R1 (Kratos will fling the Axe in front of him and the Axe will spin in place). Grab this upgrade and go fight a Werewolf, supposedly one of the hardest normal enemies in the game but honestly this will work on nearly everything, but just to show how stupid this is we'll use the Werewolf as an example. Now proceed to hold R1. That's it. Just hold R1 and keep holding it until the Werewolf is dead. This move that requires zero effort to perform is so terribly balanced that enemies will literally get locked down in hitstun until they die. That's just the effects of ONE move, this game has a shitload of nonsense in it.

I understand some people are far more willing to overlook this kind of stuff than I am but that doesn't mean I have to overlook this stuff as well. Nor does it mean I'm wrong for valuing certain things from a game and voicing my displeasure when a game fails horribly to deliver on the things I value. It's a sad age when wanting consistent rules and behavior out of a game is now considered a "bad" thing. So bad in fact you get labeled the elitist, anal, nitpicky, or any other negative synonym that's become common to place upon someone perceived to be the "hardcore gamer". I play and appreciate games on a completely different level from others in this thread, that's becoming more and more apparent. If wanting good, solid and consistent design out of a game earns me a negative reaction from my peers then fuck my peers.

• Thanks 1