SotTR underperforms, Spiderman still no.1 in it's second week. [UK]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Negatively freaking out  I literally posted a gameindustry thread with bullet points of the article in the exact order they were mentioned in the article with zero personal analysis or commentary. In

Yes slow jon, a UK sales thread is about UK only.   Only jon and dyno could be crying over a fact based only thread. Literally just writing bullet points of the sales breakdown.  Twist

Posted Images

Just now, madmaltese said:

You add nothing but salt to any thread.

It's not salt, you tards like to post a lot of things with no context attached to it. 

"This game underperformed this game and only sold this percentage compared to the last" and yada, yada, but you don't want to mention that said game released at the end of the week and has only been available for two days while the previous launched at the beginning of the week and was available for five days before charting. 

8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

How did it have a disaster launch on Xbox One? It sold through more than a million before the end of the year and launched mid November.

https://wccftech.com/rise-tomb-raider-uk-sales-due-poor-release-timing-fine-ps4/

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/112605/20151203/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-sales-tank-but-dev-team-is-very-happy.htm

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/microsoft-square-enix-defend-lowly-sales-rise-tomb-raider/

It didn't even chart in the NPD of it's launch month :D

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

The worrying part is that the Rise inflation of sales numbers came from huge discounts later in it's life so even the Rise to TR comparison using total sales is poor cause the Reboot had a big launch at full price. Rise had a fairly well publicized disaster launch on the Xbox One. Another worrying aspect is why did Square release both in the shadow of other giant games (Fallout 4 and now Spiderman), especially considering Shadow went gold in late July. 

Yeah I agree regarding how Square has felt handled these where the first was the big revolution then the rest are just pretty much more of the same. They did the same with Deus Ex and had the same disaster in sales with the sequel. Shame because all are high quality titles. Seems like they just can't learn from their mistakes though. 

Yep.  The problem with designing a trilogy of games with very much the exact same gameplay loop is that people get worn out and stop caring.  They had a huge launch with the reboot... but some people realized that it wasn't there thing... many of those people decide they are done with the series right then and there.  Rise comes... stumbles a bit out of the gate, and launches exclusively to Xbox... again.. it does well enough... but due to being the same gameplay loop as the original, it's not drawing in new people and growing the franchise.. By this time... people may have been let down by Rise of the TR and lost any faith in a sequel... let alone one that's being developed by a different company.  Again, you get another drop in purchasers.

But it's not all clear cut and dry like that.. as we all know.  There's so many factors like the pricing, the release timing... the competition... the quality of the product... and not to mention, now more than ever it's harder to judge if a game is truly successful based on specific numbers alone.  There's all these different versions of games like this now... season passes... DLCs... soundtracks.

I think it's understandable that this series has taken the trajectory it has.  I'm playing Shadow of the TR and it's could very well end up my favorite one.. but some people don't like all this collecting shit.. and after 2 games of it... they might not be willing to bother until this one reaches a deep sale price.

I hope the game does well enough that they can move on from this "origin story" and maybe design a new game with a different gameplay style which could be interesting to a wider audience.  This team is definitely capable of creating high quality games... they just need a different direction now.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's not salt, you tards like to post a lot of things with no context attached to it. 

"This game underperformed this game and only sold this percentage compared to the last" and yada, yada, but you don't want to mention that said game released at the end of the week and has only been available for two days while the previous launched at the beginning of the week and was available for five days before charting. 

You replied to my post to Remij where we were talking LTD sales and using percentages based on Remij's number crying about 'but but it had 3 more days' :drake: 

So so salty. Even falling for BC bait and triggered cause you read the words 'disaster' and 'xbox one' close to each other. The butthurt is real. 

You replied to my post to Remij where we were talking LTD sales and using percentages based on Remij's number crying about 'but but it had 3 more days' :drake: 

So so salty. Even falling for BC bait and triggered cause you read the words 'disaster' and 'xbox one' close to each other. The butthurt is real. 

You think just posting like an idiot is bait, that's like saying you were trolling after the fact when you get caught saying something dumb. 

You're saying a bunch of dumb shit.

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

xAWN7lk.png

zwIt52v.png

What's it like bringing things up and then knowing fuck all about it?

Yes Dyno a game going from 3.5M in one month to it's sequel doing 1M in 2 is a disaster :D

and that is after it already got discounted cause it launch flopped so spectacularly 

https://www.pcgamer.com/tomb-raider-reboot-has-sold-85-million-copies/

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You think just posting like an idiot is bait, that's like saying you were trolling after the fact when you get caught saying something dumb. 

You're saying a bunch of dumb shit.

You're an expect on getting caught saying dumb shit. Like how you got caught crying about 3 days when the figures (percentages) I was posting were in reply to Remij's own numbers.

and the fact you don't know BC is a SW bait legend says enough tbh. 

Imagine spending more time crying and defending the sales of a game than playing it. 

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I hope the game does well enough that they can move on from this "origin story" and maybe design a new game with a different gameplay style which could be interesting to a wider audience.  This team is definitely capable of creating high quality games... they just need a different direction now.

They won't shelve an IP as big as Tomb Raider over one flop unless they want to reduce their overall AAA SP game output. Would like to see Crystal Dynamics be the ones to reboot it again though. 

Yes Dyno a game going from 3.5M in one month to it's sequel doing 1M in 2 is a disaster :D

and that is after it already got discounted cause it launch flopped so spectacularly 

https://www.pcgamer.com/tomb-raider-reboot-has-sold-85-million-copies/

"Well over 1M units"

Also that's in 1 1/2 months. In terms of it being discounted where's the evidence of that?

1 minute ago, モンキー said:

They won't shelve an IP as big as Tomb Raider over one flop unless they want to reduce their overall AAA SP game output. Would like to see Crystal Dynamics be the ones to reboot it again though. 

Yea, I know it's unlikely.. but I don't want to see these guys bleeding money.  I want them to have good success with this franchise.  I'm very pleased with how Eidos has handled this game honestly..  If they took over the franchise I wouldn't mind at all.  Of course CD would be fine as well... 

12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yep.  The problem with designing a trilogy of games with very much the exact same gameplay loop is that people get worn out and stop caring.  They had a huge launch with the reboot... but some people realized that it wasn't there thing... many of those people decide they are done with the series right then and there.  Rise comes... stumbles a bit out of the gate, and launches exclusively to Xbox... again.. it does well enough... but due to being the same gameplay loop as the original, it's not drawing in new people and growing the franchise.. By this time... people may have been let down by Rise of the TR and lost any faith in a sequel... let alone one that's being developed by a different company.  Again, you get another drop in purchasers.

But it's not all clear cut and dry like that.. as we all know.  There's so many factors like the pricing, the release timing... the competition... the quality of the product... and not to mention, now more than ever it's harder to judge if a game is truly successful based on specific numbers alone.  There's all these different versions of games like this now... season passes... DLCs... soundtracks.

I think it's understandable that this series has taken the trajectory it has.  I'm playing Shadow of the TR and it's could very well end up my favorite one.. but some people don't like all this collecting shit.. and after 2 games of it... they might not be willing to bother until this one reaches a deep sale price.

Do you think they are going to move forward with the franchise though? I think it is pretty much an identical Deus Ex situation where they will shelve it for a while and tbh I think that was the plan all along given they already took their A team off it and by all accounts their are prioritizing their Marvel games

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Do you think they are going to move forward with the franchise though? I think it is pretty much an identical Deus Ex situation where they will shelve it for a while and tbh I think that was the plan all along given they already took their A team off it and by all accounts their are prioritizing their Marvel games

Yea, I think Eidos will continue on with the franchise.  I think they'll look at the next stage in the evolution of Tomb Raider as a chance to reflect on what works and what doesn't and use this as motivation to improve and change things up further.

If they're thinking of releasing another trilogy with this same gameplay loop.... even as a huge fan of these reboots... it will be dead in the water.  I'm pretty sure they realize it by now.

Need to make a correction to my earlier estimated 71K week1 sales for Shadow. They were incorrect, I was being generous. 

Numbers in from the sales insider at Era

Week 1 sales for all 3 TR

Tomb Raider (ALL) - 185,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 42,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 36,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox 360) - 6,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 52,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PlayStation 4) - 33,000
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 19,000

Edited by madmaltese
5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea, I think Eidos will continue on with the franchise.  I think they'll look at the next stage in the evolution of Tomb Raider as a chance to reflect on what works and what doesn't and use this as motivation to improve and change things up further.

If they're thinking of releasing another trilogy with this same gameplay loop.... even as a huge fan of these reboots... it will be dead in the water.  I'm pretty sure they realize it by now.

So who do you think is heading up the Guardians game then? Assuming CD is only doing Avengers and not split in 2 teams (the new office is fairly new). 

Personally from a business perspective I don't think they can really afford to do another one straight away. I think they see that even with UC ending that the height of excitement for that particular setting/genre might be over for a bit.