Digital Foundry - Nvidia RTX DLSS analysis

-FF15 looks better to them with DLSS than 4K with TAA

-Reduces/Eliminates ghosting around specific elements (looking through the windows in the car, the fishing rod, other elements)

-DLSS is better for transparencies such as the characters hair

-Infiltrator looks great with DLSS, but is also a heavily post processed tech demo

-In motion John feels like it's not something he could even determine the difference of

-Noticed that after a scene cut (much like other reconstruction menthods) the first frame reveals the lower pixel resolution the demo is running at with DLSS. (exactly like checkerboarding except DLSS doesn't have artifacting like CB does)

-There is some artifacting that DLSS has that TAA doesn't... and some artifacting that TAA has that DLSS doesn't

-John thinks he would use DLSS over native 4K

-Both examples are demos/benchmarks where the user has no control over the camera or movement... so still cautious of whether it will maintain this level of quality in real world gaming situations.

- Much better performance, reducing/eliminating potential bandwidth bound scenarios that would tank framerates

- Also confirms that Ray-Tracing and DLSS can work at the same time

The Star Wars RT demo which when first shown was running at 1080p on 4 Titan Vs.. at ~30fps.. now runs at 1440p at ~60fps... DAMN.  Even the 2080 non ti outperforms 4 Titan Vs with Ray-tracing.  The 2080ti can run the demo at 4K DLSS at 30fps.

Overall, they are quite excited about DLSS and the amount of games supporting it is growing all the time.  It's a good watch.

John also confirmed on ResetERA that you can run DLSS with different resolutions... it's not just a 4K thing.  So he thinks that games like Metro and BF5 could find huge performance and image quality improvements by utilizing DLSS.. not to mention that both DICE and 4A Games have said that their Ray-Tracing settings can be decoupled from the rendering resolution so they can have different settings for ray-traced elements.

31 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Digital Foundry ? Those guys are not to be trusted 

I didn't say they weren't to be trusted... I said they've made mistakes and can/could, and have been wrong... 

Apparently you think that saying someone is wrong means that they can't be trusted... You're dumb. :tom: 

11 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Wrong when you want them to be Right when you want them to be :fatcruise:

You're starting to be like aza with all this junk . Keep it in the nerd thread 

Wrong when they are wrong, and right when they are right... that's essentially the standard they should be held to dumbo.  I never said don't trust them... I said don't trust that they are always right when numbers differ and are called into question.

There's a whining thread for you if you have any more problems with that. 

59 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Funny you only think they are wrong when it comes to Xbox :D

41 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Far Cry 5 and whatever game he swears DF is wrong about , but nobodyxgamer is right about 

No... wrong when there's a valid reason to believe so... I even told your dumbass the exact reason why I think they are wrong when I do.  Every time I've questioned them.. I've done so given the results of other testers who also have proven track records, whose findings fall in line and better explain my own thoughts regarding the performance of the hardware as compared to PC benchmarks for said games... knowing the performance characteristics of the hardware tested... 

I don't just blindly accuse them of being wrong...  When two or more choices are presented to me, I tend to go with the one that makes the most sense to me given the information I've seen, and know myself.

I'm not like you... someone who really doesn't understand or care why DF say what they say, just that they say it... which you blindly assume is true.  If it was an Xbox thing then I'd be doing it all the time... for all native 4K that DF tests for it... cause yea... I've really done that :roll: 

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

No... wrong when there's a valid reason to believe so... I even told your dumbass the exact reason why I think they are wrong when I do.  Every time I've questioned them.. I've done so given the results of other testers who also have proven track records, whose findings fall in line and better explain my own thoughts regarding the performance of the hardware as compared to PC benchmarks for said games... knowing the performance characteristics of the hardware tested... 

I don't just blindly accuse them of being wrong...  When two or more choices are presented to me, I tend to go with the one that makes the most sense to me given the information I've seen, and know myself.

I'm not like you... someone who really doesn't understand or care why DF say what they say, just that they say it... which you blindly assume is true.  If it was an Xbox thing then I'd be doing it all the time... for all native 4K that DF tests for it... cause yea... I've really done that :roll: 

I don't believe what they said about op is true. 

Why ? Same reason as you. 

You fucking fruad :D stfu biased idiot lol 

1 hour ago, Jon2B said:

I don't believe what they said about op is true. 

Why ? Same reason as you. 

You fucking fruad :D stfu biased idiot lol 

You're a dumbass.. we all know you can't formulate your own thoughts when it comes to what's presented to you and need DF to do it for you without question..

And you calling anyone biased is fucking hilarious... riding my dick as hard as you could any time when I was defending Xbox One X :danylol:

Fucking Clown :pffft:

20 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You're a dumbass.. we all know you can't formulate your own thoughts when it comes to what's presented to you and need DF to do it for you without question..

And you calling anyone biased is fucking hilarious... riding my dick as hard as you could any time when I was defending Xbox One X :danylol:

Fucking Clown :pffft:

The only reason people read your threads is because of me :mj:

3 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

This guy said the 2080Ti / 2080 is straight NO BUY

I say buy what you want that makes YOU feel happy.  :batzone:

He's right.  For a large majority of people, these cards aren't worth it.  The 1080Ti can be had for cheaper (around $550 USD 2nd hand) and performs largely the same as the RTX 2080 as it stands right now.  This is really one of the first gens in a long time where fundamental changes to the architecture and graphics pipeline are being introduced.. with no real world examples to take advantage of them.  You're essentially promising people that something is the future without them being able to clearly see why that is... and that's a problem.

Currently, out of what's been shown and benchmarked.. Wolfenstein 2 shows us what could potentially be a game taking better advantage of the Turing architecture because it already supports  dual rate FP16 and async compute.  Something which Nvidia has improved greatly for Turing... and it shows in those benchmarks.  With Vulkan, that game fucking flies.

Other than that.. the other tech they are demonstrating doesn't have real-world controllable examples.  Yes, in the FF15 and Infiltrator demos it works.. it can sometimes look a bit better and sometimes look a bit worse.. and the performace is greatly improved.. but there's no games that actually support it yet.. so it's still an unknown.

RTX... the biggest aspect and focus of the new cards... wont be available until the October Windows Update and when BF5 launches and Tomb Raider gets patched.  So that's another thing largely unknown.

The hesitation to recommend them is understandable.  They aren't immediately necessary.  But in the future, you'll start to see these cards pull away from the previous gen I'm sure.  The 2080 seems like a wash to me.. but the 2080Ti from someone on a 1080 or less will see a huge performance jump.