Jimpressions: Assassin's Creed Odyssey- It's Grindy, It's Greedy, It's Ubisoft!

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is one damn greedy game. In addition to its half dozen special editions, its Amazon Alexa tie-in, its Totino's promotion, and its season pass, it's filled to the brim with microtransactions. As well as all that, it's been purposefully turned into a grindfest in order to sell XP boosters, like this is some free-to-play mobile game.

I love how grind fests, and in-game currency have come to full-fledged AAA titles. This was supposed to be a way for free titles to support themselves, and instead an entire slew of titles and developers have inserted this like an alien face-hugger.

2K19 does this to a phenomenal level; I mean you can't get a decent online player without shelling an additional $40 to buy* "VC" - literally Virtual Currency", well you could grind to that level, but 2K20 will have been released. :killzone:

I'm waiting for racing games to allow you to spend in-game currency to allow you to 'continue' the race like the old arcade games. Please insert Additional Credits. :D 

Edited by Teh_Diplomat
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

I love how grind fests, and in-game currency have come to full-fledged AAA titles. This was supposed to be a way for free titles to support themselves, and instead an entire slew of titles and developers have inserted this like an alien face-hugger.

2K19 does this to a phenomenal level; I mean you can't get a decent online player without shelling an additional $40 to be "VC" - literally Virtual Currency", well you could grind to that level, but 2K20 will have been released. :killzone:

I'm waiting for racing games to allow you to spend in-game currency to allow you to 'continue' the race like the old arcade games. Please insert Additional Credits. :D 

AC origins was pretty easy to level up in. If they rigged this game to make it tedious, then it’s a shame. 

People are saying that if you don't buy the XP upgrade for $10, then it takes about 15 hours to get that on your own.

I've played AssCreed games that took like 4 hours to get going. AC3 probably took closer to 8-10 hours for it to really get going. I dunno, I sense that these games are simply getting too big.

Origins was great, but as I neared the end I realized that it had wayyyyy to much filler in the form of lots of meaningless tasks/quests. The fact that Odyssey has significantly more content than Origins makes me less interested.

Edited by Twinblade
36 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Origins was great, but as I neared the end I realized that it had wayyyyy to much filler in the form of lots of meaningless tasks/quests. The fact that Odyssey has significantly more content than Origins makes me less interested.

And this is where I hope Red Dead 2 avoids making this mistake.

I played RDR1 fairly late, back in 2015.  And I like how you can clearly finish almost everything in the game in about 40-50 hours. And that's me combing the shit out of the entire map. I hope they don't make RDR2 become filled with ridiculous hunting and flower-collecting requirements. It probably shouldn't take more than 60-70 hours to 100% the game.

22 hours ago, Twinblade said:

As long as the core missions own, I don’t care how much filler content is in it - unless that filler content is required to get a decent xp. Then I have issues. 

21 hours ago, -GD- said:

As long as the core missions own, I don’t care how much filler content is in it - unless that filler content is required to get a decent xp. Then I have issues. 

yeah but it sounds like the missions themselves aren't that interesting, and the story itself is worse than origins (which already had problems in that area).

It's pretty much Origins in Greece. Still enjoyable but not the leap Origins was. To be expected. The 'drama' about this xp thing is ridiculous, it's the same as always. They just added a way to xp way faster than usual. For eg, in Origins you couldn't just power through the story missions cause you'd be underleveled. This just allows ppl to literally skip 100% of everything side related, which takes away the point of the giant beautiful world AC games usually have. 

5 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

Doesn't even feel like a reskin . Feels like the same exact game 

Don't exaggerate. It is incredibly similar but there are changes. 

- Combat is much faster due to the Spartan style. Zero shields. There is basically zero defence in combat anymore, all attack or dodge/parry

- The map has more variety due to it being Greek islands. Meaning much more significance put on naval combat/time spend on sea than in origins

- dialogue trees.

It's definitely just an annual AC now unlike the big jump with Origins though