Sony PS5 Backwards Compatability Patent October 2 2018

As summary of the patent is as follows:

Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it. The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers. The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.

2019 boys.

Edited by Beta Bux Romeo
11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

That doesn't sound like backward compatability at all. That sounds like a patent for a method of remastering games.

Did you even read what it says?

Yea.  Reading it.. it basically sounds like a method of remastering an emulated piece of software by being able to inject new assets in the place of the old ones.  This is pretty much what they did with Parappa the Rapper Remaster.

This doesn't signify in any way a backwards compatibility patent.

I think the way msoft handled backwards compatibility, with the one x, has been its biggest strength this gen. It’s good to see it driving Sony to stop pumping out remasters, and try to do something similar next gen.  

Team 2020 release for me. 

10 minutes ago, -GD- said:

I think the way msoft handled backwards compatibility, with the one x, has been its biggest strength this gen. It’s good to see it driving Sony to stop pumping out remasters, and try to do something similar next gen.  

Team 2020 release for me. 

What? Read what it actually says. It's a patent for asset streaming to legacy titles, it's not a backward compatibility patent. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

What? Read what it actually says. It's a patent for asset streaming to legacy titles, it's not a backward compatibility patent. 

Oh, I just read the thread title. I’m too lazy to read all of that. 

6 minutes ago, Beta Bux Romeo said:

Dynamite actually thinks Sony will come up with a texture streaming algorim for streaming texture in 2018 for remasters instead of direct improved ports. Wake the up lmao.

I don't think anything, that's exactly how that information reads.

Sony has nothing better to do other than patent a remaster capability for games that are ported directly to PS4 and other platforms. Great priority of remasters on the last PS4's 1-2 years. Fucking genius, because the remasters are like 2% of total PS4 software sales, which are optimized irrelavant of some direct ports. Be it the Last Remant, and Kingdom Hearts collection..

What an important priority!

Just now, Beta Bux Romeo said:

Sony has nothing better to do other than patent a remaster capability for games that are ported directly to PS4 and other platforms. Great priority of remasters on the last PS4's 1-2 years. Fucking genius, because the remasters are like 2% of total PS4 software sales, which are optimized irrelavant of some direct ports. Be it the Last Remant, and Kingdom Hearts collection..

What an important priority!

It doesn't matter what you think is of importance, that information above has nothing to do with backward compatibility and you're having a meltdown over it. 

10 minutes ago, Beta Bux Romeo said:

It has aimed at what exactly? The Red Faction Guerilla remaster?

From the way it reads it's a method of applying higher resolution textures and art to legacy games without the need to actually alter the code of the game. A developer can store new art and categorically assign its deployment based upon what's taking place in the game. When the game would naturally call upon the original texture work it's intercepted by whatever this program is to which it then deploys the new textures in their place. 

It seems like nothing more than a means of streamlining texture application for remastered games, i.e. shit you're going to be charged for again and not backward compatibility. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

From the way it reads it's a method of applying higher resolution textures and art to legacy games without the need to actually alter the code of the game. A developer can store new art and categorically assign its deployment based upon what's taking place in the game. When the game would naturally call upon the original texture work it's intercepted by whatever this program is to which it then deploys the new textures in their place. 

It seems like nothing more than a means of streamlining texture application for remastered games, i.e. shit you're going to be charged for again and not backward compatibility. 

This.  Exactly.

The Parappa the Rapper Remaster USES THIS Aza....

12 minutes ago, Beta Bux Romeo said:

Yes one random ass port a PS1 game Parappa the Rapper is the reason for this patent. Wake the fuck up.

You're really dense sometimes man.

Yes... one PS1 remaster port uses this... The reason for this patent is REMASTERING old titles through emulation... It in no way means "backwards compatibility support"

PS4 has PS2 games ported through emulation (Rogue Galaxy).. PS1 games ported through emulation.. (Parappa the Rapper) PSP games ported through emulation (Castlevania)........  Is the PS4 backwards compatible with those systems' games? :lemming: 

Of course I believe the PS5 will have PS4 backwards compatibility... but this points to simply being a way of porting games they want and improving the assets for 4K TVs... rather than actually being "BC"

This makes it seem less likely to me that they'll support PS1/PS2/PS3 backwards compatibility.. which is a shame.